Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Azerbaijan Becomes Israeli Forward Base

and-then

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/azerbaijan-granted-israel-access-to-air-bases-on-iran-border-1.421428

A 1.6 Billion dollar weapons deal paves way for an Israeli strike with possible access to as many as four Soviet era airbases.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• Yamato

• Mr.United_Nations

• Taun

It also paves the way for the Isreali forces to have a larger maneuver area for training, and one which will be less 'upsetting' to their immediate neighbors...

While it does put them nearer the border with Iran... it does not automatically make it a 'hostile move'... Nor does it automatically mean that the Azerbaijani Government would allow a strike from their territory... Remember that Azerbaijan is largely Islamic as well...

It also paves the way for the Isreali forces to have a larger maneuver area for training, and one which will be less 'upsetting' to their immediate neighbors...

While it does put them nearer the border with Iran... it does not automatically make it a 'hostile move'... Nor does it automatically mean that the Azerbaijani Government would allow a strike from their territory... Remember that Azerbaijan is largely Islamic as well...

The article mentions a 2 decade relationship and I'm not sure of the leadership there but if it is typical of other Muslim nations the people may not have as much influence over the situation as one might think. Whatever the details of the agreement it was sufficient to cause Erdogan to be "sputtering with rage". It seems to give aid and comfort to Israeli war planning and that seems to be upsetting to the powers that don't care for Israel to exercise that option. We'll see how it all plays out. On the whole I believe it is a positive step toward hindering Iran's nuclear weapons research.

At least limited strikes against Iranian targets would be possible from these bases; dropping inconsequential weapons though Israel would be.

I don't buy any real meaning from the story in the article. Allegations of a handshake deal, and who knows what constraints on access would be even if it was written on paper.

The verdict: Just more political kool aid people who believe everything they read will believe.

At least limited strikes against Iranian targets would be possible from these bases; dropping inconsequential weapons though Israel would be.

I don't buy any real meaning from the story in the article. Allegations of a handshake deal, and who knows what constraints on access would be even if it was written on paper.

The verdict: Just more political kool aid people who believe everything they read will believe.

Grape is my fav. The reason I have my doubts about the story is that if they did stage there it would be almost impossible to do it stealthily and Iran could have a free shot while they were massing. But the fact that the "agreement" became public at all speaks of deceptiveness, either by us for making their plans public or by them as a way of possibly setting us up to see if we'd sell them out. As far as inconsequential goes, not all of their targets are hardened,yet, and 5000 lbs of explosives can do quite a bit of damage. The F-15I can carry such weapons. As far as that goes, Israel could conceivably do massive damage with Jerichos alone - if they chose to deplete their stocks. But they may be hesitant to use them because they've never been proven in war time and it would be dangerous if they failed in action. Time will tell. I'm still watching Syria....

Grape is my fav. The reason I have my doubts about the story is that if they did stage there it would be almost impossible to do it stealthily and Iran could have a free shot while they were massing. But the fact that the "agreement" became public at all speaks of deceptiveness, either by us for making their plans public or by them as a way of possibly setting us up to see if we'd sell them out. As far as inconsequential goes, not all of their targets are hardened,yet, and 5000 lbs of explosives can do quite a bit of damage. The F-15I can carry such weapons. As far as that goes, Israel could conceivably do massive damage with Jerichos alone - if they chose to deplete their stocks. But they may be hesitant to use them because they've never been proven in war time and it would be dangerous if they failed in action. Time will tell. I'm still watching Syria....

Destroy some facilities with Jerichos and start a regional war on Israel which will turn into WW3 eventually. Well at least some facilities will be destroyed. :wacko:

Based on the neocon hymnbook Iran has a free shot right now, applying preemption doctrine (i.e. the moral hazard in the kool aid).

Destroy some facilities with Jerichos and start a regional war on Israel which will turn into WW3 eventually. Well at least some facilities will be destroyed. :wacko:

Based on the neocon hymnbook Iran has a free shot right now, applying preemption doctrine (i.e. the moral hazard in the kool aid).

Well, Iran could start acting like a responsible neighbor and open up to total inspections to prove no weapons program exists. That would make them untouchable. Yet they won't do that. Is pride worth a war that could potentially bring the mullahs down? The answer, I think, is no. But if they can just finish the race and get a functional bomb then the pressure is off, even the sanctions go away. I see that as a problem for the world but hey, I do enjoy my Kool aid. Yam the issue is serious and you keep painting it as stupid meddling on our part. If we don't help then Israel gets backed into a corner and most of the oil begins to glow... NOT a good outcome... :no:

Well, Iran could start acting like a responsible neighbor and open up to total inspections to prove no weapons program exists. That would make them untouchable. Yet they won't do that. Is pride worth a war that could potentially bring the mullahs down? The answer, I think, is no. But if they can just finish the race and get a functional bomb then the pressure is off, even the sanctions go away. I see that as a problem for the world but hey, I do enjoy my Kool aid. Yam the issue is serious and you keep painting it as stupid meddling on our part. If we don't help then Israel gets backed into a corner and most of the oil begins to glow... NOT a good outcome... :no:

Except Iran is open to inspections. The truth is stranger than the fiction when the fiction is all you believe. And they are untouchable because the US doesn't want a much larger war with Iran after the nightmare Bush and co. just dragged us through. Maybe if Mitt "global caliphate" Romneycare gets into office those sentiments will change.

And except I didn't say anything about stupid meddling on our part. I said if it's a good idea then Iran should be doing it right now.

And now here you go that the sanctions stay on so long as Iran doesn't have a bomb, and come off as soon as Iran does have a bomb. I couldn't imagine a bigger incentive for Iran to go nuke than this; the cluelessness of neocon foreign policy never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry Zionists, Israel doesn't have an iced chance in hell of ending Iran's nuclear programs. Their international terrorism such as the assassination of scientists combined with their other terroristic policies will slow Iran down a few years at best, but strapping explosives onto pylons and flying their precious pilots deep into Iran and back to do meaningless damage to hardened facilities is nonsense. Israel will keep bleating and goading; and I'm certain some of us will be foolish enough to believe it.

Iran is open to inspections, but not too all of them so that statement is wrong, So why deny? maybe it is unsafe? If it is unsafe, why still people work their? Clearly there is something else going on. Iran will buckle only if pressured by China or Russia. the only way to make sure that anything Iran is doing something wrong is by asking Persia who has not been on for a while and he Doesn't like the current regime. Which imo would confirm my suspicions of Iran attempting to build nuclear weapons.

Except Iran is open to inspections. The truth is stranger than the fiction when the fiction is all you believe. And they are untouchable because the US doesn't want a much larger war with Iran after the nightmare Bush and co. just dragged us through. Maybe if Mitt "global caliphate" Romneycare gets into office those sentiments will change.

And except I didn't say anything about stupid meddling on our part. I said if it's a good idea then Iran should be doing it right now.

And now here you go that the sanctions stay on so long as Iran doesn't have a bomb, and come off as soon as Iran does have a bomb. I couldn't imagine a bigger incentive for Iran to go nuke than this; the cluelessness of neocon foreign policy never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry Zionists, Israel doesn't have an iced chance in hell of ending Iran's nuclear programs. Their international terrorism such as the assassination of scientists combined with their other terroristic policies will slow Iran down a few years at best, but strapping explosives onto pylons and flying their precious pilots deep into Iran and back to do meaningless damage to hardened facilities is nonsense. Israel will keep bleating and goading; and I'm certain some of us will be foolish enough to believe it.

Do you think that once Iran has a nuke, the world will continue with sanctions that were designed to stop them from acquiring a nuke? So OF COURSE acquiring a nuke is their goal. It accomplishes their plans for hegemony and causes the international community to stop pushing them. Then they are free to do as they damn well please - right up until Israel is forced to nuke them. I have no idea if Israel will attack alone. But I would bet my life they will attack if Iran threatens them with a nuke. And they may well attack if they realize Iran is just assembling a nuke.

Iran is open to inspections, but not too all of them so that statement is wrong, So why deny? maybe it is unsafe? If it is unsafe, why still people work their? Clearly there is something else going on. Iran will buckle only if pressured by China or Russia. the only way to make sure that anything Iran is doing something wrong is by asking Persia who has not been on for a while and he Doesn't like the current regime. Which imo would confirm my suspicions of Iran attempting to build nuclear weapons.

The regime won't last forever. Iran will see to that. But anyone picking fights with Iran now has too much time on their hands and not enough brains to find better deployments of their capital, and blood.

Do you think that once Iran has a nuke, the world will continue with sanctions that were designed to stop them from acquiring a nuke? So OF COURSE acquiring a nuke is their goal. It accomplishes their plans for hegemony and causes the international community to stop pushing them. Then they are free to do as they damn well please - right up until Israel is forced to nuke them. I have no idea if Israel will attack alone. But I would bet my life they will attack if Iran threatens them with a nuke. And they may well attack if they realize Iran is just assembling a nuke.

It's not going to change like that once (if) Iran gets a nuke. The sanctions would be meaningful for the 2nd nuke, and the 3rd, and thus with the multiplying danger of Iran's arsenal, the importance of the sanctions would remain in place and arguably just as important as ever.

Iran isn't going to get a nuke and commit suicide as all the clueless partisans appear to be making you think.

It's not going to change like that once (if) Iran gets a nuke. The sanctions would be meaningful for the 2nd nuke, and the 3rd, and thus with the multiplying danger of Iran's arsenal, the importance of the sanctions would remain in place and arguably just as important as ever.

Iran isn't going to get a nuke and commit suicide as all the clueless partisans appear to be making you think.

So the mullahs are bringing world wide condemnation and sanction against their country...why?

So the mullahs are bringing world wide condemnation and sanction against their country...why?

Some countries have their own ideas they can't help but to impose on someone else. Such isolationist trade policies aren't world wide, else Iran wouldn't be selling its oil.

Some countries have their own ideas they can't help but to impose on someone else. Such isolationist trade policies aren't world wide, else Iran wouldn't be selling its oil.

No, I think you missed my point. Why would the leaders of Iran intentionally cause themselves such hardship? They of course,are, working feverishly toward the bomb and it's precisely because they know it will give them entree into the big club. Most of the nations that are sanctioning them are doing so due to arm twisting by the US. Once they've achieved the bomb it will be very difficult to keep up that level of unity unless Iran immediately begins pushing it's neighbors. I don't believe Iran has any intention to use the bomb on Israel immediately. I do think they will use the power and international prestige it brings them to bully their neighbors the Sunnis. They will also cause Hamas, Hizballah and any new terror organs that spring up to be untouchable by Israel. Say what you will about Israel, with the exception of the Palestinian issue(which is extremely personal to them)they have been respectable neighbors in the region. They have fought when pushed into it and have tried down the decades to work out a peaceful coexistence. The hatred against them is too strong to overcome and eventually I believe it will undo the Palestinians and their allies.

I think that part of the reason Israel is settling and building as fast as they can is due to a realization that the Palestinians have decided to make war at a time of their choosing. Israel is consolidating gains and preparing for conflict that they know is coming. Neither side is trying to talk anymore because it's useless. It's an issue that ultimately must be settled by force.