Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead stars 'to guide spacecraft'

questionmark

Spacecraft could one day navigate through the cosmos using a particular type of dead star as a kind of GPS.

German scientists are developing a technique that allows for very precise positioning anywhere in space by picking up X-ray signals from pulsars.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• DieChecker

• TattooMan

• spud the mackem

We dont have to worry about that,because humans will never go into deep space,as they will become extinct before it can happen,having wiped each other out.

Would that be a form of "dead" reckoning?

@ spud the mackem; That's a real optimistic view of the future there genius. Why are you even here? Sites like this are for open-minded people who are a bit intellectual. Not for little trollers. Additionally, there were people who said we would never break the sound barrier. Really? The same people said we would never go to the moon. OK? Now we are planning to go to Mars. I am so happy people like you are not scientists or have much intelligence to stop the progress of human evolution and exploration.

Would that be a form of "dead" reckoning?

No, more like lighthouse triangulation (if we want to talk in nautical terms). Dead reckoning would be the input from the compass and the log, whereby you take the speed and the direction to estimate your position. Generally ends up on a reef because you don't consider all the variability like currents, side winds and so on.

In this case we have some pulsars pulsating at known positions at a known rate. The variations in rate signify speed (to or from) and the triangulation the relative position.

Edited by questionmark

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, Im sure there was a time when the thought of deep sea exploration or traveling to the moon, or even flying great distances in a machine wouldve been thought of as impossible.

Yet here we stand. We've done all of those things.

Now im a firm believer that scientists have found or discovered a clean new energy and 'could be' testing it at the moemnt. Again its my own speculation.

I think thatwhen a new efficient Energy resource is out there for everyone to use, then Space travel wont be far off. Ive seen a lot of threads on here about 'ecosystems' how would we have food in the long run, so to speak.

Theres an old saying "Never say never".

on a final note, I think space travel is simply a matter of time.