Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"I'll Meet You There" by Owl City

human_eraser

Some of you may remember the "Fireflies" thread I had awhile back. Well, this is another song by him. Interpreted by yours truly in a 100% unbiased manner.

If we could sit together a moment

And talk forever just to pass the time

I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine

When your eyes are locked on mine

It seems that Adam wants to tell us something, and it would be pretty interesting, or we wouldn't have our eyes locked on him.

Oh we'll fill the metro skies with country air

Country life is much slower than city life. He wants those who live in cities to slow down.

And when you close your tired eyes I'll meet you there

"There" refers to whatever he wants to tell us. We also know that whatever "there" is, it happens while we sleep.

I'll meet you there (he says a number of times)

It doesn't really have any meaning, it's the limited refrain this song has.

Deep inside of you there's a ruby glow

And it gets brighter then you and I will ever know

I assumed the "ruby glow" to be the soul. It can shine bright with love and compassion.

There's a rushing sound that surrounds us when we walk alone

And it's everything we've never known

Now this is when it gets interesting. What exactly is "walking alone?" Is this the thing he wants to tell us? During this "thing" he wants to tell us, there's a rushing sound. And we have no idea about it. All while our eyes are closed.

Wander down the street

And I would be the pavement beneath your feet

This is really abstract, but I believe this means that he wants to guide us, as we would be the pavement beneath our feet.

If we could just be immobile for some time

This ties back to "fill metro skies with country air." He wants us to slow down.

And finally figure out the way we feel

About the missing puzzle pieces and cloudy question marks

It still looks a bit surreal

Whatever this thing is, it's going to shock us. And even if we eventually figure it all out, it would still be... out of this world.

Oh I tend to disappear here and there

So concentrate and you'll feel me everywhere

First off, where does he disappear to? Logically, to the "thing" he wants to tell us. The 2nd line is unclear: "Concentrate." Concentrate what?

And we'll fill the metro skies with country air

If you're lost when you close your eyes I'll meet you there

Okay, this implies that this "thing" cannot be attained by just closing our eyes, as we have the possibility of becoming "lost." He wants to guide us there.

You could be anywhere

I'll meet you there

You could be anywhere

This rules out the possibility that he's talking about a specific person (a girl, most likely) as a lot of people seem to think. But really, this song has nothing to do with a girl.

Open your eyes and see everything you can be

I'll meet you there

There exists the potential for us to be much more than we currently are.

The only question that remains is, what is the thing? Let's review:

-We would be interested in it (therefore concluding we don't what it is already, also he says "it's everything we've never known")

-It happens when our eyes are closed

-There's a rushing sound that's associated with it

-We have to slow down our lives for us to experience it

-It would look surreal

I love this song.

Edited by human_eraser

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• human_eraser

• _Only

• King Fluffs

Good job. I like your analysis, I will have to go listen now.

What really did it for me was the "rushing sound" since that happens sometimes during vibrations.

As for the music... It does really sound "otherworldly" in nature. It doesn't sound like most of his other songs.

Edited by human_eraser

What really did it for me was the "rushing sound" since that happens sometimes during vibrations.

As for the music... It does really sound "otherworldly" in nature. It doesn't sound like most of his other songs.

It's obvious by the number of songs that have these little ckues that he is a projector, or at least knows about it. He probably hides it so to not be ridiculed.

Adam's a great guy.

I met him once and managed to obtain his autograph which now proudly sits framed on my wall.

His new album comes out in August!

From his blog:

Attention!

I’ve spent the past four months living in Los Angeles, New York City, and in this room:

L1002393.jpg

Writing, producing, recording, engineering, mixing, mastering — its been a big workload for those involved and there’s still much to do. However, so often it’s about the journey rather than the destination and I’m so excited about where I’ve been, where I’m at, and where I’m headed — I can barely fall asleep at night. Seven songs are mixed, mastered and in the can, four more are in the pipeline and a handful of b-sides are on top of the pile. It’s crazy how different this record is than anything I’ve ever done before but I’m quite proud of the shape its taken thus far and I can’t wait to share it with the world. The biggest departure is perhaps the endless amount of writing and rewriting I’ve done over the past six months of work, both on the road and off. Like anybody doing anything in life, your tastes and interests change and refine over time and I’ve found myself striving to do a better job in perfecting my craft than I ever have before. In the past, I’ve been guilty of devoting and committing to the first thing that popped into my mind, and for better or worse, risking entire concepts or notions going way over the heads of casual listeners because of a neglect to experiment with other colors and brushstrokes in the humble pursuit of creating richer art. During the making of this record, I’ve been constantly asking myself, is this the right shade of blue? Is this exactly what I’m trying to say? How can I make this as good as possible — both subjectively and objectively? I’ve been drafting and making changes and revising like a movie writer with a screenplay.

It’s a big process. Jack Joseph Puig once described it to me like this:

“You’ve effectively drawn up the blueprints and constructed an entire building singlehandedly. You’ve written and recorded a full-length album — fifteen songs, fifteen floors of a brand new building under construction. You built the skeleton, you raised the walls, you set the roof, you poured the cement. You designed and decorated each floor of the structure, the size and shape of each room, how big each window is, which way the doors swing open. You picked the paint color on the lobby walls, the wallpaper pattern in the bathroom, you even tossed and turned over what shade of green the pipes under the kitchen sink should be.”

It’s down to details and questioning yourself over whether what you’ve got is RIGHT or not. I’ve never truly pulled out all the stops and fought for excellence in every way possible — and while it can be exhausting and emotional at times, I believe it makes the final result far more special than it otherwise would have been. Making this record has been like meeting a significant other, dating, falling in love, weathering a sea of ups and downs, breaking up, getting back together, making promises, proposing, getting married — a lifetime of emotion crammed into six months of creativity.

Aesthetically the record sounds a lot different as well. New flavors and textures and consistencies of melody, rhythm and lyric. Much of my love for European dance music has found its way into the production of the record and I’ve been able to utilize my deep inspiration and admiration of the great trance dj’s I grew up listening to (Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, ATB, Ferry Corsten, Paul van Dyk, Above and Beyond). It’s still very much an electronic pop record but one with more energy and spirit and frame of reference. I believe you should never repeat yourself or look back on your career, and this record marks new territory to which I’ll admit, is a bit exhilarating on both sides of the scale because it’s so different, but I believe that sense of ambiguity in the balance is an incredibly healthy thing because it reminds you that you’re adapting and refining and perfecting your craft, and ultimately, continuously trying something new. That’s what artistry means to me: experimentation, trying things you never have before. For those of you who’ve been with me since Of June, it may take a bit of getting used to, but as an artist I’m extremely proud of the endeavor and magic I’ve been able to capture in a jar — and my prayer since day one of this roller coaster ride stands true: that my Savior use the blood, sweat and tears of this humble servant to do His will in whatever context or capacity He deems suitable. For that is what this is all about. Not fame, not fortune, not a guy trying to sound cool writing about “his awesome new record” in a blog on the internet… but merely a dreamer lost in the pursuit of excellence, virtue, honor and high standards.

Street date in August. I can’t wait for you to hear it.

Glory to God.

Edited by human_eraser

It's obvious by the number of songs that have these little ckues that he is a projector, or at least knows about it.

Or just unconscious thoughts creeping into the lyrics, like happens so often in music. Could mean so many things to him consciously, but I guess what really matters is what it means to the person listening.