Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rules for Being Human

Beany

Has anyone seen this? What do you think of it? At one time I had a lot of resistance around rule 7; not so much anymore.

Rule One: You will receive a body. You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your life on Earth.

Rule Two: You will be presented with lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called 'life.' Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or hate them, but you have designed them as part of your curriculum.

Rule Three: There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, a series of trials, errors, and occasional victories. The failed experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that work.

Rule Four: A lesson is repeated until learned. Lessons will be repeated to you in various forms until you have learned them. When you have learned them, you can then go on to the next lesson.

Rule Five: Learning does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.

Rule Six: 'There' is no better than 'here'. When your 'there' has become a 'here,' you will simply obtain a 'there' that will look better to you than your present 'here'.

Rule Seven: Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.

Rule Eight: What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you.

Rule Nine: Your answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

Rule Ten: You will forget all of this at birth.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beany

• JayMark

• DarkHunter

• spud the mackem

Hi Beany,As a whole this resonates as a sound philosophy,except if you are someone born with a disability.

Some good points there friend,but the ultimate is that you are born,and then you eventually die,but its getting from start to finish by the easiest and most comfortable way is the problem....life is not easy for millions who struggle to survive,the others who have it all are miserable in comfort wondering how to make another million,but money is not everything,so enjoy what you have while you can because you cant take anything with you at the finish....cheers

Kinda reminds me of my biological mothers thoughts she shared with me. She believes that you choose your gender before you are born and that one third of your life must be pain and you choose when it is.

Rule eight is the one that I take issue with. While I agree to some degree, not everyone has the potential to do something great or even good even if only based on the area in which they were born. Now if rule eight is simply about how you view what you have done with your life, then I agree.

I've always thought rule 8 referred to a state of internal happiness, though could be wrong. I know people who've had terrible, traumatic lives as children, yet grew up to be happy adults able to contribute positively to society. As far as being great, well, only a few will be "great" in the conventional sense, but life is usually lived on a smaller scale. The accrual of day to day acts of kindness & compassion can add up over a lifetime to a great person, though, just one that few people have ever heard of.

I think rule 8 is true in both interperetations. Look at the people who clawed their way from the bottom fighting constant advertisity in order to accomplish something great. They had to go looking for what they needed to get there, and they drug every possible opportunity out of their lives in order to be where they are. Everyone has ultimate potential, it's whether or not you have ultimate dedication.

Has anyone seen this? What do you think of it? At one time I had a lot of resistance around rule 7; not so much anymore.

Rule One: You will receive a body. You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your life on Earth.

Rule Two: You will be presented with lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called 'life.' Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or hate them, but you have designed them as part of your curriculum.

Rule Three: There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, a series of trials, errors, and occasional victories. The failed experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that work.

Rule Four: A lesson is repeated until learned. Lessons will be repeated to you in various forms until you have learned them. When you have learned them, you can then go on to the next lesson.

Rule Five: Learning does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.

Rule Six: 'There' is no better than 'here'. When your 'there' has become a 'here,' you will simply obtain a 'there' that will look better to you than your present 'here'.

Rule Seven: Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.

Rule Eight: What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you.

Rule Nine: Your answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

Very nice post. It reflects part of my beleifs. I couldn't have said it better, even the last rule.

Love it.

Peace.

Hi Beany,As a whole this resonates as a sound philosophy,except if you are someone born with a disability.

Not really as I see it.

Maby it's simply part of the learning process of a soul. Maby all of our souls have of will experience such a thing. Just like dying at a young age, develop a chonic disease etc etc.

All those things that seem "unfair" might simply be part of the learning process of the human soul.

Such a thing would imply in my opinion that reincarnation is part of the whole process. It is also part of my beleifs.

My thoughts.

Peace.

Some good points there friend,but the ultimate is that you are born,and then you eventually die,but its getting from start to finish by the easiest and most comfortable way is the problem....life is not easy for millions who struggle to survive,the others who have it all are miserable in comfort wondering how to make another million,but money is not everything,so enjoy what you have while you can because you cant take anything with you at the finish....cheers

Respect to this thread...respect to you man! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Respect to this thread...respect to you man! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Thanks Nuke-em, I try to be serious once in while, but to laugh once a day,keeps the blues away....cheers

I like it, agree with much of it, and a good list to live by.

Peace

mark

Forgive me if I'm "thick" but Beany states rule 10...... I quote "you will forget all of this at birth",so how does he know what the rules were and which order they came in ?????...Enlighten me Oh Beany....or are you having a laugh ?,just to see how folk will react....

Forgive me if I'm "thick" but Beany states rule 10...... I quote "you will forget all of this at birth",so how does he know what the rules were and which order they came in ?????...Enlighten me Oh Beany....or are you having a laugh ?,just to see how folk will react....

Here's what I think.

I think that we "forget" it simply because by incarnating a physical body in this very plane of existence, we "frag" our consciousness and create the "ego" that I see as being our physical awarness.

All the rest (that is "forgotten") is still part of our "deep self". It is part of our consciousness but at a much deeper level. So basically, it's all there and it is possible to reach it. Dreaming, for instance, is a great opportunity to get "in touch" with it (deeper self). It can also be accessed through meditation.

That's why, in my opinion, living in a pure materialistic world can take you away from your inner-self. That's why it is important for me to integrate spirituality in my life.

A quest for spirituality can be as simple as a "quest for hapiness" in my book. It dosen't necessarly imply that you have to beleive in a "God" or be part of a religion.

My thoughts.

Peace.

I believe that the ego is simply the interface between our reptilian and mammalian (limbic) brains which humans have evolved the cerebral cortex but underneath the others still operate for that is what they based each other on. The fracturing concept in my interpretation is the maturing process of synthesizing all these parts of the brain.

As for reincarnation while I do not believe in it per se I do believe I am a part of the brotherhood of men (humanity) and connected to everyone alive, dead, and yet to be born. Thus we build on each other and imagination, dreams, are wonderful ways to connect to this.

I agree with you on the other points you made JayMark and even in the two above I still agree but under a different paradigm. (Same conclusion but different methods of arrival.) Hope that made sense.

I don't believe life should be easy, and many people do not take the easy way out. I like seeing mistakes as "lessons". It causes a shift from the negative to the positive. We become students, and that can point in the direction of discovery, new ideas, new information, new conclusions. The corollary to that is: lessons are repeated until they're learned. Some years ago my life was a disaster that needed to happen; that's when I became an A student, because I didn't want to repeat it.

so true...........i'm sorry...but rule 7 makes perfect sense........ : )

Yeah it's hard to accept rule 1 as being particularly fair when faced with many unequal existential conditions.

Of course in this scenario it would follow that some people are on advanced curriculums and some are advanced teachers of the human condition too - I like to believe that most people I meet can teach me something.

Regardless of the "soundness" of the hypothetical OP, the opportunity to learn is a sound one and it is a good choice from what I have learned to hold those with disabilities in high esteem - there are so many inspirational stories to be told.

*Proviso*

Along with the heartbreak and sorrow of course, I'm not pretending that doesn't happen, devaluing it, or that I've learned it is fair for someone to struggle against so many obstacles - I doubt that would be one of the lessons so it's would not qualify as any kind of "fail" to rant against the injustice and inequality in human opportunity in this philosophy I suspect.

I disagree with just about all of the ten rules. To me that either fall short under logic or require a certain belief that I do not have.

1. This one is an interesting one, it is hard to refute this rule as anything but fact. But with the advancement of technology the validity of this rule comes into question. Right now we are able to change a persons body so much that even if they hate they can create a body that the love. No aspect today of the human body is not up to change or modification, so being stuck with a body you hate or love becomes meaningless. Some may argue that no matter how much you change your body it is still your body, that I think would fall under more under the Theseus ship paradox, but we are starting to already see the beginnings of not needing a body. Right now it seems like it is only a matter of time till we get to cyborgs and/or other forms of living without having a body.

2. This one is much like the first, starting off what is more or less a statement about life in general. But the last sentence is what makes it fall apart. For this rule to be true one must believe in either reincarnation and/or a belief in the soul existing before the creation of the body. This also implies that we all design our lives before we are born and have all our life experiences already planned out in advance of us being born. There are many problems with this. First it removes free will completely from life on earth since we have everything planned out before we are born. Second the mere complexity of this makes it seem illogical. With extremely limited numbers this may be feasible but with larger numbers the complexity of this rises to the level of an infinite complexity. With finite minds, which we all have since we need to learn still, this becomes impossible.

3. This rule I also disagree with completely. This implies that failures due not exist and everything is for personal growth. This would effectively remove failure as a trait of being human and ultimately any responsibly in the case of failure since it is all just a lesson. Personally, this seems to be a rule made by the same people that give out trophies at little kid sporting events to everyone just so no ones feelings get hurt.

4. This rule I disagree with because it is for the most part an extension of rule three which I already disagree with.

5. This is the only rule I agree with and only because we are all of finite intelligence living a very short amount of time in a world so vastly larger then ourselves it may as well be infinitely larger.

6. I disagree with this rule also. Just because a better place may be a better place does not mean all places are equal. The best way I think I can explain this is mathematically, 5 > 6 > 7, just because 7 is bigger then 6 it does not mean 6 is not bigger then 5. Just because any place can be infinitely better does not mean everywhere is equal and there are clearly some better and worse areas, I doubt anyone can truly say being in Somalia is just as good as being in the USA which this rule seems to imply.

7. This one is mixed in my disagreement and agreement of it. First I do not believe others are only mirrors of myself, that seems to me to fall under either a very Solipsistic view or a view more inline with the Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, or Sikhism, where everyone is just a single part of a deity and will and some point become part of that deity again. I can agree with hating/loving others based on aspects of ourselves we see in them but I do not think hating/loving others is just limited to what we see of ourselves in others.

8. This one I strongly disagree with. Not everyone is born with all the tools and definitely resources they need. Many places in the world have little to no access to education so advancement to a better life is either limited or impossible. Then there are about equably about of places without enough resources to even sub-stain their own lives, let alone make their lives whatever they want them to be.

9. This rule I also disagree strongly with. First this rules works best with either a belief in reincarnation or a belief in the soul before the creation of the body. Second it runs into the problem that we are finite minds, already reinforced by rules 2-4, so how can we have the answers inside of us. Either we are finite minds and do not have all the answers or we are infinite minds which would contradict rules 2-4, either way a rule or three rules in invalidated.

10. Once again this rule is only valid if one believe in reincarnation or the soul existing before the body.

I think rule 6 is another way of saying the grass always looks greener on the other side. For me, it speaks of being able to appreciate the "here", wherever that is, of appreciating what we have here and fully exploring that, instead of wishing we were elsewhere. In many ways that count, in my life I've found happiness by focusing on the here & now. Those times when I've yearned to be over "there" were the most unhappy because I failed to realize that the locus of happiness for me is internal, and if there is an aspect of disatisfaction in my life, that I have the power to change it. Finding another job, moving, beginning or ending relationships, etc. I do believe we always have choices, although we may not care for the choices.

However, as you pointed out, many of us in Western society have a pretty good life, unlike those born in 3rd or 4th world countries, for whom life consists of trying to simply survive. I've often thought that our ideas, philosophies, religions, etc. are a luxury not afforded those who spend their days & nights looking for food, firewood, avoiding life-threatening violence. I wonder if any of our kind, thoughtful ideas would be helpful or enhancing to those whose lives are all about basic suvival.

I can see how rule 6 can be interrupted that way, my main problem with it though is that it leads to stagnation. We are where we are now because people have always tried to reach something better, just being content with where we are will stop the chance of any further progress. History and science has shown that all cases of stagnation always lead to death or destruction.

I don't really like the "Earth is a school" idea. I am not a slave to any assignment I am a FREE human being.

I don't think rule 6 necessarily means stagnation. I've spent the greater part of my life moving from one place to another, and I liked it. New experiences, new faces, new things, new jobs, etc. But now I've stayed in basically one place for 15 years, which is a first for me, and I've had my current job 11 years, which is also a record. And because of this, I've had new experiences to do with connectedness, being an important part of community, growing attached to the natural world outside my door, figuring out how to keep my job fresh & interesting, time to grow a garden & watch it mature... In the past I moved because I got restless, now, if I move, it will be by fully choosing to do so, rather than being compelled. I've always known what it was like to move on, never knew what it was like to stay, and although I get antsy every now & then, I like the experience of staying.

I don't think rule 6 necessarily means stagnation. I've spent the greater part of my life moving from one place to another, and I liked it. New experiences, new faces, new things, new jobs, etc. But now I've stayed in basically one place for 15 years, which is a first for me, and I've had my current job 11 years, which is also a record. And because of this, I've had new experiences to do with connectedness, being an important part of community, growing attached to the natural world outside my door, figuring out how to keep my job fresh & interesting, time to grow a garden & watch it mature... In the past I moved because I got restless, now, if I move, it will be by fully choosing to do so, rather than being compelled. I've always known what it was like to move on, never knew what it was like to stay, and although I get antsy every now & then, I like the experience of staying.

I can accept that point of view, even though to me it seems that you are still progressing but in different areas of life, and thus avoiding stagnation. Might be due to my young age that I am so opposed to staying in one place and want constant change.

What if one figures it is a lesson but decides not to learn it. What is left with no lessons? A lesson in a lesson from a lesson ignore from the lesson.

What if one figures it is a lesson but decides not to learn it. What is left with no lessons? A lesson in a lesson from a lesson ignore from the lesson.

The sader are the ones that fall short when continuous lesson are shown bit nothing learnt..................... : )