Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaikou

SOPA now becomes CISPA

8 posts in this topic

Source: RTAmerica

Description from video:

The latest attempt by Congress to try to regulate and control the Internet is no longer known as SOPA but CISPA: the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act. The SOPA-like bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it. Kendall Burman, senior national security fellow for the Center for Democracy and Technology, joins Liz Wahl to talk about what this means for online freedoms.

Any one know anything about this? it's the first I've heard of it.

Let's just hope we can squash this one. It's getting a little annoying now. lol

This is the first I've heard of it as well. I guess the politicians keep thinking that if they can just tweak the title enough they'll fool the rest of us dumb Americans. :rolleyes: I did a search on Bing and the first search result is from the ACLU website where they state the ACLU's opposition to H.R. 3523. The Center for Democracy & Technology is the other group weighing in against the bill. Mcafee supports it, as do many others.

Then lets hope that they did not only change the name but also parts of the content (nothing against protection against piracy, but certainly against companies being capable of securing all rights for every smell they accidentally cause). Else the opposition is forming!

Then lets hope that they did not only change the name but also parts of the content (nothing against protection against piracy, but certainly against companies being capable of securing all rights for every smell they accidentally cause). Else the opposition is forming!

The opposition is forming already lol. The problem is that this law is just too broad, the information collected on you could be passed on for any number of reasons.

Anonymous took down the British home office/gov sites yesterday http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/07/11076923-anonymous-attacks-british-home-office-website-access-disrupted-after-threat?lite

I wonder if it is because of the latest spate of articles being pumped out about Europes/UK version of sopa.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126675/Council-snoopers-read-emails-internet-giants-forced-hand-data.html

I thought this would have been posted about by now!

Posted (edited)

Source: RTAmerica

Description from video:

The latest attempt by Congress to try to regulate and control the Internet is no longer known as SOPA but CISPA: the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act. The SOPA-like bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it.

I will support this bill, but only if they call it the "Personal Information Collection Act", or maybe IOPA ( Intrusion of Privacy Act ).

Edited by Illuminerdi

Posted (edited)

Absolute power corrupts absolutley. This is a great example. These people are so power-mad that they want the rights to something that doesn't exist in reality.

Edited by Insaniac

To mis-quote the late great Bill Shakespeare... "A pile of poo by any other name would still stink to high heavens"...

Like questionmark said, I have nothing against protecting against 'piracy', but the original wording of the SOPA bill was clearly over the line...