Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USDA needs bullets too

Simbi Laveau

Oh please. By that logic, any hiker or camper in the park should carry all sorts of guns just incase they stumble upon a grow op aswell.

You can't confuse the temporary rangers, that are hired during the peak seasons, with career rangers. Grow ops, stills, border jumpers and poachers tend to avoid hiking trails and camp grounds. Those temporary rangers are only there to ensure camp rules are being followed.

Small town or city cops would be totally lost in a park rangers terrain that they patrol and walk on a regular basis. In an emergency situation they would just be more people the rangers would have to worry about being able to find their way around and back.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Copasetic

• Rafterman

• Michelle

Look, this is my opinion, and its not going to change simply because you quote jurisdiction. Policing should be left to police agencies.

They are the "police agency" in this case. Keep in mind that city police jurisdiction generally ends at city limits (except for NYC which seems to think it can now operate internationally!), state troopers operate between cities and jurisdiction generally ends at state lines, neither of these have jurisdiction on federal lands within states and cities. That falls to federal authorities. They are the "police" agency. Jurisdiction is very important in the United States, as it determines who can and who cannot prosecute/police crimes BY LAW. Something that, say, the current Arizona government, for instance, has not figured out. We are a nation of laws and they determine these issues.

Ninja is right. Rangers are park police, and their particular jurisdiction is in the national park area. I've been in several state parks and seen Rangers carrying guns there too. I think the point where parks jurisdiction falls into Police rather than regular Rangers is at county level?

Michelle is also right that there are rangers that aren't park police the same way Rangers are. It's kind of like the city. There are Police, actual enforcers, they carry guns. And there are junior police, police hopefuls that they dress up in similar uniforms, but only are used for stuff like directing traffic and they don't normally carry guns. There are rangers that just give tours, run the ticket shop, make sure you keep quiet after ten, those sorts of jobs.

I think something else to consider with Rangers, the gun carrying kind. Most Police just police people without a lot of wild animal interaction. Rangers have to watch out for humans and their "beat" quite possibly has potentially dangerous wild animals to watch out for too.

Not just animals that can attack either. Sometimes an animal in the wild is terribly injured or sick but still alive, and a mercy shot would be a kindness.

I also dug this up. An article from 2009. National Park Service ban.

Basically, in 2009 NPS decided to stop lead ammo and tackle by the end of 2010. This new order of 300,000 ammo that was signed off on at the end of 2011 could be a new shipment of the 100% copper ammo they wanted to switch over to.

Edited by rashore

You can't confuse the temporary rangers, that are hired during the peak seasons, with career rangers. Grow ops, stills, border jumpers and poachers tend to avoid hiking trails and camp grounds. Those temporary rangers are only there to ensure camp rules are being followed.

I understand that.

Small town or city cops would be totally lost in a park rangers terrain that they patrol and walk on a regular basis. In an emergency situation they would just be more people the rangers would have to worry about being able to find their way around and back.

Understood. I still disagree with having "police forces" that are under the direction of an agency/department who's sole purpose is not "policing", and I know there are ways around this.