Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple's house haunted by Titanic captain

Still Waters

A couple are hoping to sell the house where the Titanic’s captain was born - despite it being haunted by the doomed vessel’s skipper.

Former residents of the 19th century Victorian property - the birthplace of Captain Edward John Smith - are convinced they’ve seen the ghost of the ship’s master in the bedroom.

The previous owners of the house even reported a mysterious flood in the kitchen and an ICY chill in the dining room.

Captain Smith, who was among 1,500 people who died when the Titanic struck an iceberg a century ago, lived at the house until he began his naval career as a teenager.

Married couple Neil and Louise Bonner paid £35,000 for the two-bedroom property in the Hanley area of Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs, in 2002.

But after renting it out for the last decade, the couple say there have been a number of ghostly sightings and 'spooky goings-on'.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nyuk

• Still Waters

• Simbi Laveau

• Drapier

He's returned for the centenary, which is nice. And to help them sell their home. :ph34r:

How convenient that this story pops up as we are approaching the 100th anniversary.

He's returned for the centenary, which is nice. And to help them sell their home. :ph34r:

I agree. A pokey little semi in Stoke on Trent won't have much else going for it!

Let me guess, they know it's him because he keeps running into stuff.

Lol who knows. But this is interesting.

That was awesome :)

I am sure some gullible moron will purchase it at a raised price......If I ever own a home again, and go to sell it, " haunted " is going on the advertisement.

Wow fancy that !!!!!

Who would be gullible enough to buy this house on the centenery of titanics sinking ????

Guess the good captain came home cos he cant risk hitting anything

Edited by nyuk

1333738436[/url]' post='4257350']

How convenient that this story pops up as we are approaching the 100th anniversary.

Very convenient!

LOL, this is a little ridiculous, the timing is perfect with the anniversary and the movie being re-released. I say James Cameron has his greedy paws on this too. LOL

Owwww ! I'd buy it !

All those people on that ghoulish Titanic memorial cruise on the MS Balmoral would snap the house up like a shot.

Hmmm wonder if the ship is aiming to hit an iceberg??

After all, it would be much more accurate for the ghouls who want to relive the whole titanic experience.

lol That's funny right there! As for the OP, I'm always curious as to how people jump to these conclusions of whose "haunting" their properties... There's a few parts here that confuse me. The article says:

"Freelance writer Mr Bonner, 64, said: 'Some years ago we had a single chap living in there and he rang up one day convinced he had seen the ghost of the captain. 'He had been at sea himself and said he was in bed when he saw him drift across the room. 'The ghost wasn’t in a naval uniform or anything but he was certain he had seen him."

So the "Chap" who was living in the home was at SEA and saw the Ghost? This apparition wasn't even seen in the house then? How would you correlate that then to the house? As it's been said here already, just another publicity stunt to try and conjure more money for their house. Simple fact.

Great way to sell your house tho in the bad economy. Props for that.