Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Healthy polar bear count confounds doomsayers

Still Waters

The debate about climate change and its impact on polar bears has intensified with the release of a survey that shows the bear population in a key part of northern Canada is far larger than many scientists thought, and might be growing.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cerberusxp

• DieChecker

• Harte

• RightInTheStatisticals

I can hardly wait to hear our local UM warming experts refute this.

I've always said that the problem was cyclical and never trust anyone with an agenda.

Refute? Sheesh, all I had to do was read the article. You may have noticed this paragraph:

The studys conclusions drew concern from Andrew Derocher, a professor of biological sciences at the University of Alberta who has been studying polar-bear populations for years. Prof. Derocher said the 1,013 figure is derived from a range of 717 bears to 1,430. Its premature to draw many conclusions, he said, adding that there were no comparative figures and the upper end of the range, 1,430, was highly unlikely.

I suppose I could also point out that said study was conducted in one area and not over the entire artic, but I doubt the nay-sayers would find that of any signifigance.

On the other hand I do hope there was increase in the population of polar bears, they are so damn cute. How would Coca-Cola sell their soda without them?

EDIT: Grammer, spelling, moronic sentence structure, etc

Edited by RightInTheStatisticals

Yeah,climate schmymate.

Just the weather in the last 3 years shows something is totally amiss there.

Im just glad for the bears.

There's nothing to refute.

No solid link between climate change and Polar Bear population has ever been shown.

It's possible that warming is good for them.

The bears were merely tools for GW proponents to use to reach the "hearts" of your schoolchildren.

Harte

On the other hand I do hope there was increase in the population of polar bears, they are so damn cute. How would Coca-Cola sell their soda without them?

Cute??? Terifiying is the word i would use. Scariest animal on the face of the earth, hands down.

There's nothing to refute.

No solid link between climate change and Polar Bear population has ever been shown.

It's possible that warming is good for them.

The bears were merely tools for GW proponents to use to reach the "hearts" of your schoolchildren.

Harte

Really? There seems to be a lot of in-depth information on the web regarding the issue.

Seems a bit more than just reaching hearts of school children.

To me its just more damning evidence that they have not got a clue and instead of going for the obvious theory, Earth's climate has always been volatile and always will be, they have to

turn it into a trillion dollar market... typical humans!

Endangered polar bears

Edited by PeacefulAnarchy

Yes, fantastic.

Let's just ignore 60 plus years of recorded carbon increase in the atmosphere.

Let me ask, and seriously, can anyone here (talking to you folk who don't believe in man-made climate change) even know what ppm stands for?

Science suffers not for your willful ignorance. The world marches on...

- Brand

Yet another tall tale of the left being debunked one fact at a time...

I wonder how many there where before we started counting? Populations tend to go up and down you can't really draw conclusions about it until you actually know what is a healthy populations.

Yes, fantastic.

Let me ask, and seriously, can anyone here (talking to you folk who don't believe in man-made climate change) even know what ppm stands for?

- Brand

What does parts per million have to do with polar bears? Polar bear population has been growing since they outlawed polar bear hunting about 40 years ago.

And why would a few ppm of carbon effect anything? 380ppm of carbon in the atmosphere is equivalent to 0.038% of the atmosphere, which is obviously a dramatic change from 60 years ago when it was at 0.031%.

Of course this trace gas increasing by 0.007% over 60 years is the biggest threat humanity has ever faced. Now, who wants to buy carbon credits from me?

No. No. No. I've seen many videos and "experts" who showed videos and pictures of smimming polar bears as proof. What doubt can there be?? Less ice = less polar bears. Al Gore told me they can't live on land.

(Sarcasm)

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/28/al-gores-drowned-polar-bear-ait-source-under-investigation/

(AP) JUNEAU, Alaska — A federal wildlife biologist whose observation in 2004 of presumably drowned polar bears in the Arctic helped to galvanize the global warming movement has been placed on administrative leave and is being investigated for scientific misconduct, possibly over the veracity of that article.

I'm not a fan of bears, polar or otherwise, they scare the stuffings out of me.

I've seen video of polar bears struggling to find food. Couldn't it be that the warmer (?) weather makes food more readily available, hence more bears? Or maybe it's something even more simple. That in the search for food the bears tend to migrate to areas where they are more easily seen, hence the illusion of more bears?

Either way, the polar bear question does not answer the AGW question IMO. LOL :wacko:

Optimum plant growth requires 800 to 1,800 ppm CO2! Below 275 plants begin to show stress. Go here LINKY and watch the video! Enjoy!

Yet another tall tale of the left being debunked one fact at a time...

Ditto, the land of the pixie dust mentality.

No. No. No. I've seen many videos and "experts" who showed videos and pictures of smimming polar bears as proof. What doubt can there be?? Less ice = less polar bears. Al Gore told me they can't live on land.

(Sarcasm)

http://wattsupwithth...-investigation/

LOL I know in one report and video they showed bears supposedly drowning but, were actually PLAYING in the water. I love it when they OMIT what is really happening to further an agenda, then lo and behold wham they get caught in their own WEB. :P

Edited by cerberusxp

Polar bears all look the same. They're probably just counting the same bears over and over again.

I've seen video of polar bears struggling to find food. Couldn't it be that the warmer (?) weather makes food more readily available, hence more bears? Or maybe it's something even more simple. That in the search for food the bears tend to migrate to areas where they are more easily seen, hence the illusion of more bears?

Hopefully the migrating polar bears drive the bigfoots south so we can catch some of them. :tu:

Ever since hunting was put into check, polar bear populations have increased.

Good luck you polar bears..What are the bare essentials of life? Well I hope we leave you a few fish in the sea and in the rivers. Of course polar bears can live on land and raid rubbish heaps ,and if they are 'smarter than the average bear ,you gotta pick a picnic basket or two.

Polar bears all look the same. They're probably just counting the same bears over and over again.

This bears repeating.

This bears repeating.

The last thing we need are some unbearable puns.

Yes, fantastic.

- Brand

I thought the topic was polar bear populations.

AFAIK, neither an increase nor a decrease in said population is any indicator of anything at all about GW.

Harte