Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Michelle

Scott Walker Quietly Repeals Wisconsin

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

WASHINGTON -- A Wisconsin law that made it easier for victims of wage discrimination to have their day in court was repealed on Thursday, after Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ® quietly signed the bill.

Women earn 77 cents for every dollar that men make. In Wisconsin, it's 75 cents, according to the Wisconsin Alliance for Women’s Health (WAWH), which also estimates that families in the state "lose more than $4,000 per year due to unequal pay."

cont...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/scott-walker-wisconsin-equal-pay-law_n_1407329.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D149824

Edited by Michelle

It will be interesting to see how he fares in the recall. If he gets to stay it might say a lot about the mood of the country as well as Wisconsin, I think. And the opposite is true also.

Its not quiet anymore .

Its not quiet anymore .

Was it ever? Those badgers damn near tore down their own State house :w00t: With all the union money that flooded the State during those earlier recall votes, I'm surprised it turned out as it did. I don't really have an all negative opinion of unions but it's insane to place a union in a position where it can elect officials who then have to vote more money or not be reelected. If unions are speaking for workers that produce a product, fine. If the workers stop making money for a company then the union can't very well demand more but in a government there is no such restriction...it gets out of hand quickly.

Anyone have a link that's not HuffPo? I'm curious to hear the business leaders perspective on this.

SB202 repeals the provision for punitive and/or compensatory damages an employee may claim against an employer in cases of discrimination in that employment. So, it's not quite the "repealing women's equality" that it is being talked up to be.

HOWEVER, by eliminating the incentive for employers to use non-discriminatory employment practices, the WI legislature opens the door for those practices to resume without any punishment, and so the effect could be a return to non-equality (or greater non-equality). Because it holds the possibility of causing (or enabling) discrimination, it is effectively a discriminatory Bill.

If a business could pay women less than men for doing the exact same job, they wouldn't hire any men. I'm sure the earnings gap is due to such things as men working more hours or having more dangerous jobs than women. It's ridiculous to claim the employers of the country are all part of a conspiracy to keep women unemployed, barefoot and in the kitchen. :hmm: