Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bosnia marks 20th anniversary of war

Still Waters

Ceremonies in Sarajevo are marking 20 years since the start of the war in Bosnia-Hercegovina, a conflict that saw the worst atrocities in Europe since World War II.

The conflict began in April 1992 as part of the break-up of Yugoslavia.

About 100,000 people were killed and nearly half the population forced from their homes in four years of fighting.

Red chairs have filled the street in Sarajevo where the conflict began - 11,541, one for each victim there.

People have been putting flowers on some of the chairs. A teddy bear, toys and schoolbooks were placed on the smaller ones that symbolise the hundreds of children killed during the four-year long siege by Serb forces.

Sarajevans were asked to stop what they were doing at 12:00 GMT for an hour to mark the start of the conflict.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Bad Voodoo

• Still Waters

• Helen of Annoy

• libstaK

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly sad occasion, at least it’s – in my opinion - great article, sums it all up and doesn’t lean on any weird political side.

(My emotions are in another thread, in Writer’s Hangout, in case those who know me are confused with this calm response.)

Yes, it was an awful tragedy and as summed up by the lady in the clip accompanying the article - it was indeed all for nothing. Well, we were reminded that there are human monsters if that counts :cry: . RIP all the victims of this senseless war.

1601 children killed by Serbian snipers or granate. Siege line was 57 km long. All toghether 11.451 victim. 30.000 Serbs with 100 Tanks and 1600 cannons tried to destroy one of most beatuiful cities in the world. And not for architecture (although I found it nice) because of people. That spirit of Sarajevo people was something. Serbs failed to breake that spirit. Im sad that Bosnians are now breaking that spirit with all corruption and missing jobs, broken industry etc.

Anyway on one day, 22.7.1995. Serbs fired 3.777 granates. Imagine. In whole siege more then 50.000 tones of projectiles hit the city.

My hat down for all people in jeans with heckler and ak 47 who stand up for their right and freedom.

I love you Sarajevo. Greetings from Croatia.

Some Bosnians think that Carl Bildt shouldnt came in Sarajevo at same date.

Because he was the one who told: Milošević was a good guy.