Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another 'big cat' sighting in UK

Still Waters

IT HAS been spotted prowling through fields in Winchcombe and has even snarled at residents who have dared to try and get close.

Now people in a small street in the town say they believe a panther-like beast is living among them.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Great news! This one has a chance of being captured at a guess and the cub too presumably.

Now people in a small street in the town say they believe a panther-like beast is living among them.

When I read that I immediately pictured a panther disguised as a human walking around town :w00t:

Anyways where I live officially there are no cougars who live here, if you ask a city official they will say it's nonsense and that cougars aren't anywhere around here, and yet I know at least 5 completely credible people and many more who claim to have seen cougars. I even saw I imprint of on in the hay of my grandparents old barn as a child, along with animals it had eaten during it's stay.

Cats are stealthy, I don't see a reason to doubt any of these claims! Even once my house cat went missing inside of the house for two weeks! It still ate it's food out of it's dish and never went outside but it took two weeks for me to actually see her! If my house cat can hide from my view for two weeks, I think larger cats in an even larger area can too.

• Like 1

To be honest I think it is an established fact that big cats roam the English countryside, just like othr invasives like coypu & mink. There have been many instances of big cats being released into the wild, one of such was when activists released many Lynx from Riber Castle Zoo in Matlock, Derbyshire. I am from Derby and visited that place a couple of times, they had a large collection of Lynx which were not well cared for at all, kept in pokey cages which were seldom cleaned. They were subsequently hit by activists, whoo released several of the cats into the surrounding countryside, some were not recaptured. This has happened before too, in the 70s people began releasing big cats when new licensing laws came in requiring owners to hold a dangerous wild animals license, which they could not be bothered to complete so the animals were turned out into the wild instead.

• Like 1

I fully believe the UK has large cats. I was born and raised in North Dakota USA, which officially had no Mountain lions. I grew up on the farm (as all of ND is farms) and we played out in the fields, shelter belts etc WAY past dark. There was never any worry. Well, over the past 5 years Mountain Lions have claimed stake to this state. They are being shot inside town already and seen ALL over. With the amount of sightings and physical evidence of big cats in the UK I would say it's only a matter of time before one is captured there.

I fully believe the UK has large cats. I was born and raised in North Dakota USA, which officially had no Mountain lions. I grew up on the farm (as all of ND is farms) and we played out in the fields, shelter belts etc WAY past dark. There was never any worry. Well, over the past 5 years Mountain Lions have claimed stake to this state. They are being shot inside town already and seen ALL over. With the amount of sightings and physical evidence of big cats in the UK I would say it's only a matter of time before one is captured there.

Well said and totally agreed. :)

The evidence for big cats roaming the UK is overwhelming.

It's only a matter of before it is known for definite which types of big cat roam the UK and they are made one of the UK's recognised animal species.

And these animals should be left to flourish and live their lives and be free to roam our countryside. Only when it is known that any pose a threat to humans - say if they encroach into an urban area - should they be killed or maybe sedated and moved well away from humans.

Here's a big cat, six foot long from nose to tail, which was spotted recently: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4112450/Big-cat-news-6ft-leapard-like-beast-captured-on-video-in-Stroud.html

bigCat_1379469c.jpg

_46122084__46120774_bigbigcat.jpg

Snodland_cat_Oct_2008_BCiB.jpg

What appears to be a lynx, Kent, 2008

wild_cat_at_cooling_near_rochester.jpg

SNN1039BB--5321_1451154a.jpg

Big cat footprint, discovered by barber Luigi Armato, 32, while on a shooting trip near the village of Binegar in Somerset’s Mendip Hills earlier this year

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Not a lynx, lynx have short tails. Maybe a European wildcat?

To add to LastLazyGun's post is the Lynx that was shot a number of years ago in Norfolk.

My link

Edited by grendals_bane

Maybe a European wildcat?

It might be. It's definitely a big cat, though. It doesn't look like a humble house moggy.

Anyways where I live officially there are no cougars who live here, if you ask a city official they will say it's nonsense and that cougars aren't anywhere around here, and yet I know at least 5 completely credible people and many more who claim to have seen cougars. I even saw I imprint of on in the hay of my grandparents old barn as a child, along with animals it had eaten during it's stay.

Same thing where I live. Officially there are no mountain lions here. Unofficially people see them and unofficially kill them if needed when they threaten their livelihood. The Black Panther is around here also. To many credible people that I know personally have seen it. The good thing is Black Panthers don't seem to stalk and attack people whereas the tawny colored Mountain Lions will.

• Like 1

It might be. It's definitely a big cat, though. It doesn't look like a humble house moggy.

Problem is, the basic cat shape scales so well that it's hard to estimate size (and therefore species) unless the cat is standing next to something known. This could be just a biggish domestic with enough Siamese in it to make it rangy.

Oh I love big cats, I wish Australia had them.