Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Born Nice? Peoples' Niceness

Karlis

Part of the reason some people are kind and generous is that their genes nudge them toward it. The study looked at the behavior of study subjects who have versions of receptor genes for two hormones that, in laboratory and close relationship research, are associated with niceness. arrow3.gifRead more...

I think this may be nonsense. In my job I often have to go against my inclinations to do a good job and be a help to people. Though you did say "nudge" didn't you....maybe.

peace

mark

I knew it! I'm been fighting off my mother's genes all my life. :innocent:

It seems to imply that morality is not a choice and that humans, like animals, are slaves to our natural instincts.

"So if one of your neighbors seems really generous, caring, civic-minded kind of person, while another seems more selfish, tight-fisted and not as interested in pitching in, their DNA may help explain why one of them is nicer than the other," he says.

It seems to imply that morality is not a choice and that humans, like animals, are slaves to our natural instincts.

We all in the end choose. Though it may be easier for some than others. Nuture also play a very big role in this....bigger than DNA.

peace

mark

• Like 1

Pretty much with Mark on this one. It's unclear how much of an effect some genes have in comparison to the way ideas construct your opinion of things. "Nudge" really was the key word there.

I wouldn't be surprised if everything is in the genes. We have hard-wired genes of course, but also basic, while also programmable, genes that allow us to adapt and change as necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if everything is in the genes. We have hard-wired genes of course, but also basic, while also programmable, genes that allow us to adapt and change as necessary.

Yes, genes play a role in what and who we are.

But as well we know that environment plays a role and as well as what you are exposed too.

I think, personally its a combination of things.

Our biochemistry changes in response to the emotions we express. We are responsible for our contributions to reality, and conscious attention dictates our behaviour. Blaming bad genes is just another way of saying that the devil made me do it.

Wait! Are they trying to say that a hormone that controls foetal ejaculation reflex and mammary gland secretions along with another hormone that control the concentration of our urine is behind the scenes in controlling the expression of generosity? Gross!

Toxic hormone altering substances we are ingesting on a daily basis have no effect on us at all, right? BPA, Flouride (calcifies the pineal gland over time), as well as several others are safe for everybody! :tu:

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

I'm one of the nicest people you ever know. I'm not lying. I'm super nice. :D And my mom and dad are nice too.

• Like 1

I favor the belief that there are people who are genuinely nice and others who posture due to social recognition or reward. The truly nice remain so during hardship, when no one is looking, and towards strangers.

Prairie voles have receptors for oxytocin and vasopressin while meadow and montane do not. Prairie voles have the capability to form enduring relationships while the other two types of voles do not.

Female laboratory rats will fear younger rats not their own. When given a dose of oxytocin they will care for and mother the young stranger rats instead.

Niceness here is not simply being nice but also being sociable and willing to contribute to society. The civic component discussed in the OP's article alludes to that.

I do think some people are born nice while others have to work really hard at it if they want to be evenly nice. Loving your own but disfavoring strangers outside your group is not nice but is instead being biased.

Even the nicest of people can have 'a not so nice' moment when things get too much for them, even though they might not mean to at the time. Nobody is perfect, it's part of being human.

• Like 1

Makes sense from an evolutionary psychology perspective that we evolved this trait so as to better deal with living within the safety of a tribal setting.

• 5 months later...

This goes hand in hand with the statement that serrial killers are simply genetically inclined to become that. I think this is nonsense.

I can understand the fact that they might inherit some mental illnesses, but that doesn't make them murderers.

Same thing with being good or nice. I think people choose what to be themsleves. Unless they've been traumatized in their childhood and that sort of things.

My belief is that it is a combination between nurture and nature. Sure, we could be born with the right genes to be nice…but if we are raised in a family setting that promotes nastiness, then a learned behaviour will definitely impact any natural inclinations.

I'm one of the nicest people you ever know. I'm not lying. I'm super nice. :D And my mom and dad are nice too.

proof it .. give me all your money .. then i ll find you nice and tells the world you are nice .! :D
  • Like 1

The fact there are people who are nice, does not necessarily support the idea of a genetic predisposition to niceness. The most raw human reactions have to come from babies and toddlers who are still in the process of learning and what we see in these kids is that we are inherently self-interested, not inherently altruistic. You don't have to teach a baby to stop sharing, you don't have to teach a baby to throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want, you don't have to teach a child to stop taking responsibility for the "bad" things others do. No, parents spend countless hours teaching kids to share, to stop taking things away from other kids, to stop thinking everything is "Mine!" teaching them not to throw temper tantrums, to admit they were the one who broke the vase or hit the other kid.