Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Adam and Eve really exist?

danbell06

Just saw this on another forum and thought i'd share.

George Pell

In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.

He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC's Q&A program last night.

Full Article

I'm not sure why they'd be shocked, I thought it was widely known the Church accepts evolution? Evolution isn't compatible with the literal story of Adam and Eve.

I'm not sure why they'd be shocked, I thought it was widely known the Church accepts evolution? Evolution isn't compatible with the literal story of Adam and Eve.

If Adam and Eve were real, then explain why every painting of them has a bellybutton. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

George Pell

Full Article

I was raised to believe that old and new testament alike are the word of God. But we do not take all passages as literal. Catholics for the most part are open to myth as it describes religious truths.

Keven

Our Bible Study group had a week off this week and tonight we went out for dinner instead of our regular study. My co-leader mentioned this debate during our first course. I hadn't heard anything about it or what it was even about, but my initial thoughts were that George Pell was totally out of his league debating Dawkins. But I'm glad he has some sense in responding to this question. I agree with him, and as a Christian am not surprised that many priests and theologians seem to agree that it is a story. I wouldn't say it is entirely mythical, but it represents the pre-Hebrew oral history of this group of people, so while there may be some basis in actual events (oral tradition often is based on real events), it is impossible to label this with as full and total history but instead as a myth to explain evil in our world.

Just my thoughts :)

~ PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

If Adam and Eve were real, then explain why every painting of them has a bellybutton. :rolleyes:

They're not, if even if they were real the paintings were painted by people who never met them.

My most troubling thought about Adam & Eve is that it suggests that everyone afterwards were "inbred"

I was under the impression that close family inbreeding can cause severe mental issues, so it doesn't make sense to me.

My most troubling thought about Adam & Eve is that it suggests that everyone afterwards were "inbred"

I was under the impression that close family inbreeding can cause severe mental issues, so it doesn't make sense to me.

Hey cousin :w00t:

Hey cousin :w00t:

Same thing would have happened to Noah and his 'immediate family'.

It's a valid point but I wonder where the great diversity of DNA came from?

as far as i have studied quran and the word adam is used for the whole human kind and still muslims ignore it and cosider same what bible says about him

for me adam is whole human kind all were created at first we all did sin and we all were sent to give the test in this world one after another

otherwise if adam was only one man than god is unjust to punish me because i have not sinned but adam did and all religions books says that father would not bear sins of the son and son would not bear sins of the father

so if adam was one man and he did mistake and was kicked out of heaven than why am i here?

Funny enough, that book also talks about cain and seth marrying women from other lands, which indicates the myth of adam and eve being the only created beings as false. That would of course debunk the incest part of it, but then the mythical flood would put them back at square one of incest. One should expect plot holes like that in such an old fantasy book. Not like the original writers were literary geniuses.

George Pell

Full Article

I never believed in Adam and Eve... To me it was just a tall tale to try and explain why humans are here .... Anyone intelligent could not possibly beleive in the Adam and Eve tales now... Just stories ..

It's a valid point but I wonder where the great diversity of DNA came from?

There is no great diversity of DNA. There is a very small diversity, and most of it is superficial. Only a 0.1% difference exists between all humans in existence.

If the genome were a book, every person's book would contain the same paragraphs and chapters, arranged in the same order. Each book would tell more or less the same story. But my book might contain a typo on page 303 that yours lacks, and your book might use a British spelling on page 135 "colour", where mine uses the American spelling, "color."

I never believed in Adam and Eve... To me it was just a tall tale to try and explain why humans are here .... Anyone intelligent could not possibly beleive in the Adam and Eve tales now... Just stories ..

Yet, even being stories, they tell a compelling truth, mankind is seperated from God by his own actions and ego.

Yet, even being stories, they tell a compelling truth, mankind is seperated from God by his own actions and ego.

laugh.gif In that case y'all fall guilty...every last follower of God is guilty.... Truth is what you just posted is a tall tale....... meaning you only think this from reading a tall tale ..You cannot prove anyone really is separated from God... UNLESS you say they are Atheist.. but then again If God loves all.. then no one is separated from him........Only God can make that judgement...not you or anyone else ......So I am afraid your views on this are from your own ego, and what you want to believe..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

laugh.gif In that case y'all fall guilty...every last follower of God is guilty.... Truth is what you just posted is a tall tale....... meaning you only think this from reading a tall tale ..You cannot prove anyone really is separated from God... UNLESS you say they are Atheist.. but then again If God loves all.. then no one is separated from him........Only God can make that judgement...not you or anyone else ......So I am afraid your views on this are from your own ego, and what you want to believe..

Well, beside the bible there is one thing that corroborates my view, human nature. Read the news...

Well, beside the bible there is one thing that corroborates my view, human nature. Read the news...

I don't believe everything I read ...I know humans suck anyway w00t.gif

I don't believe everything I read ...I know humans suck anyway w00t.gif

Humans suck? I have proved my point... :lol:

Humans suck? I have proved my point... :lol:

You prove that humans suck every day laugh.gif

And I didn't need to read a bible or the news to figure that out.........I kid with you Jorel...we all suck

Edited by Beckys_Mom

You prove that humans suck every day laugh.gif

And I didn't need to read a bible or the news to figure that out.........I kid with you Jorel...we all suck

You cut me to the quick.... :P

George Pell

Full Article

Maybe it was poorly worded by the Cardinal ~ perhaps he should of used event rather than myth? Here is the Catholic Church position on Adam and Eve:

The story of the creation and fall of man is a true one, even if not written entirely according to modern literary techniques. The Catechism states, "The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man. Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents" (CCC 390).

Edited by Star of the Sea

• 2 weeks later...

The story of Adam and Eve is literal. Evolution did not happen, tell me why the fossil record is FULL of holes and why scientists can't explain the cambrian explosion away? Also, that "very small gap" between our dna and a primates is HUGE. They have one extra pair of chromosomes. We also have a 50% dna relation to bananas, and we aren't half bananas.

The story of Adam and Eve is literal. Evolution did not happen, tell me why the fossil record is FULL of holes and why scientists can't explain the cambrian explosion away? Also, that "very small gap" between our dna and a primates is HUGE. They have one extra pair of chromosomes. We also have a 50% dna relation to bananas, and we aren't half bananas.

Oh I agree ....I mean Adam and Eve has to be more to the truth, and it explains it all doesn't it? And Evolution pfffttt I cannot understand a word so I will shoot it down and say naff off science..you are so full of it lol ................Yup the Adam and Eve story is the best explanation by far... ...My 6 year old understood it fully when she was 4 years old....That's what we all need ...and easy explanation.... ...... Besides... learning about Evolution takes up too much time and effort...you have to think and that would hurt my head lol.....Adam and Eve.. requires no thinking...just take it all in easy......

.Of course they lived over 900 years ( with God anything is possible ..like incest back then right? ) ..... and who cares where Cain took a wife? We are all here anyway right? .............Evolution..huh.. more like Evilution.just set up to disprove God...the flaming blasphemers !!

:P * bolts from thread *

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Regarding the incest question, here is the explanation. Adam and Eve were created genetically perfect. Their offspring were genetically perfect, therefore Seth and Cain could marry sisters and not endanger their own offspring. The genetic perfection also accounts for the long lifespans. A 'canopy' of water was in the atmosphere, which filtered harmful solar radiation.

The canopy was dissipated at the time of the flood. The ensuing solar radiation began to introduce genetic mutations, which resulted in curtailed lifespans.

This is merely an explanation to answer several questions that have been raised. I do realize that some of you do not accept these things as being factual.