Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens exsist or not?

1Ophelia

I'm asking for everyone's opinion wether or not you believe any other life source exsists beyound planet earths atmosphere?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arbitran

• badeskov

• ShadowSot

• S2F

My opinion is that the odds are very high (just about certain) that there's some type of life elsewhere in the Universe. Now, as for there being advanced highly intelligent life, the odds decrease. As for this advanced highly intelligent life visiting the Earth, the odds become lesser yet (most likely not). Just my personal 2 cents worth on the subject.

The way I understand IT is that the universe is simply just to big for there not to be any other life source out there! =) As simple as that.

Thoughts...

There is most likely some form of alien life somewhere in the universe.

As to aliens advanced enough to visit us, I seriously doubt.

I'll go with 'not'.

I will say.. Maybe. Would be quite a dissapointment if there wasn't even a one-celled organism existing out there.

i'm convinced that there are at least some microbes out there and it's a matter of time until science will prove it. If there will be / was any attempt of contact with our species by an intelligent lifeform keeps me fascinated for years, but it's a 50/50 chance at its best. If they're out there and REALLY intelligent, they better avoid us....;)

Im sure of it. Im also sure that its just a matter of time until we will find aliens (microbial) on Mars, Titan, Europa.

As for intelligent ETs..... probably, somewhere out there.

Yes I believe there is life elsewhere in the universe besides this rather insignificant planet, I am, however, very skeptical of the idea that aliens come here in flying saucers to probe around in hillbilly butts.

I'm asking for everyone's opinion wether or not you believe any other life source exsists beyound planet earths atmosphere?

Absolutely yes. Every place where life can take root, it will evolve and adapt to that environment. Not all life results in intelligent life; and not all intelligent life results in space-faring races. But even so, there are millions of space-faring races; far more intelligent species; and billions upon countless billions of worlds where the seeds of life have sprouted.

It would be typically egotistical of the human race to say no to this question, when it fact nothing can be proved or disproved. But numerically, any odds are better than there being life on just one planet, as we are the undeniable proof that "it" can happen.

Personally, I am quite happy to think that there are many intelligent life-forms out there - as Lily says, quite how many are competent at space travel is a different matter, but if you imagine that humans will be happily burning through the galaxies within a few more hundred or thousand years, then there should be no logical barrier to assuming that somewhere out there a life-form much older than us is already doing it.

I'd hazard a guess that such a lifeform will be something beyond our comprehension, and their method of travel will be something far removed from our mechanical limitations. And we are really only considering this dimension too, when we discuss this. I believe that there are other dimension to be discovered and it may be that one of these dimensions may be the key to space travel. It may be the key to understanding the whole of everything, too.

Anyway, 42's the real answer. We all know that.

Absolutely yes. Every place where life can take root, it will evolve and adapt to that environment. Not all life results in intelligent life; and not all intelligent life results in space-faring races. But even so, there are millions of space-faring races; far more intelligent species; and billions upon countless billions of worlds where the seeds of life have sprouted.

said with such conviction but pure conjecture for all that.

said with such conviction but pure conjecture for all that.

You only say that because you are for some reason convinced that it couldn't be the case. Why?

You only say that because you are for some reason convinced that it couldn't be the case. Why?

Because you state as fact what has no evidence whatsoever to support it - that is conjecture. Pure and simple.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Absolutely, yes.

Given the barely imaginable size and age of the universe, I find it hard to believe that your little rock orbiting the sun is the only place in the universe that life has evolved on.

Has intelligent life evolved in our locality of the universe and visited our particular planet? Well, that's a different question to which I am fall down on the "no" side of the spectrum.

Because you state as fact what has no evidence whatsoever to support it - that is conjecture. Pure and simple.

Cheers,

Badeskov

It does, however, have evidence to support it. I did not think that on this thread, it would be necessary to cite all of the evidence.

It does, however, have evidence to support it. I did not think that on this thread, it would be necessary to cite all of the evidence.

The truth of the matter is, we have found no evidence of life of any kind anywhere in this universe. There have been found no traces of microbes, no plants, nothing. SETI has been in operation for what? 50 years? No signal of any kind has been detected.

As for the question of do aliens exist, it would be hard to imagine that we are totally alone, due to the sheer size of the universe and the seemingly infinite number of planets out there. If the question is do they visit here? No, I personally don't believe that.

The thing is, said evidence, or rather, lack of same has been discussed extensively on UM. There is no evidence for ET whatsoever, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise. And there is most assuredly no evidence for any of the assertions you make. But feel free to cite a just a single piece of evidence - just a single one that will stand up to scrutiny. Until then, it is, in its purest, conjecture.

Cheers,

Badeskov

The truth of the matter is, we have found no evidence of life of any kind anywhere in this universe. There have been found no traces of microbes, no plants, nothing. SETI has been in operation for what? 50 years? No signal of any kind has been detected.

As for the question of do aliens exist, it would be hard to imagine that we are totally alone, due to the sheer size of the universe and the seemingly infinite number of planets out there. If the question is do they visit here? No, I personally don't believe that.

Actually, you are a bit misinformed. NASA and other organizations have presented evidence for microbes having been found multiple times on other worlds (Mars, Titan, etc.). As for SETI, potential signals have been found many times--they simply haven't been followed-up. This, and it is improbable that a highly-advanced civilization would use a communications technology we are familiar with in our technological infancy. A baby might recognize a telephone or computer after a time: it likely won't know what a satellite phone or the Internet is, or how they work.

I think that they do visit here. The evidence they left behind makes clear that they were here long before we were. And they have likely retained some interest in this world.

The thing is, said evidence, or rather, lack of same has been discussed extensively on UM. There is no evidence for ET whatsoever, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise. And there is most assuredly no evidence for any of the assertions you make. But feel free to cite a just a single piece of evidence - just a single one that will stand up to scrutiny. Until then, it is, in its purest, conjecture.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Excuse me while I chuckle at the surprisingly empirical statements of your previous post. It takes a lot of bravery to state with conviction that there is no evidence. No evidence known to you perhaps. But then you don't know everything, do you? For instance, I have noted a certain ignorance in pertinence to the Hindu texts on your part. They present clear evidence. Perhaps not always physical evidence; but the accuracy of their knowledge validates their case. The scientific cases presented in the Hindu texts have been verified today. And clearly the civilization which knows the speed of light, the age of the Earth, the number of species alive on Earth, the heliocentric solar system (and far more), wouldn't lie as to the source of that knowledge? Or would you have us think that someone other than Albert Einstein formulated E=mc2? Or that Charles Darwin didn't write the Origin of the Species?

The cases given in the texts may not always yield physical evidence (why should they, after millions or billions of years have passed since the events described?), but the clear accuracy of their information which can be verified shows the truth of their statements. All this, and of course there is evidence of extraterrestrial life, even beyond this. Or have you not heard of the research that is being done in regards to Titan?

But I must say once again, how scientific of you to declare that there "is no evidence whatsoever". Particularly when the majority of the world seems to disagree with you on that point--scientists and non-scientists alike.

Actually, you are a bit misinformed. NASA and other organizations have presented evidence for microbes having been found multiple times on other worlds (Mars, Titan, etc.).

This is simply not true. Neither NASA nor any other organization has found any evidence of microbes anywhere outside of Earth. If you think otherwise, please reference it.

As for SETI, potential signals have been found many times--they simply haven't been followed-up.

And this is patently false. SETI meticulously follows up on any signal that could have even the faintest ET signature. Nothing has come off it yet, though. The most famous signal is the WOW! signal:

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Earradio telescope of The Ohio State University then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory, Delaware, Ohio.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-Solar System origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.[1]

So please do not say that SETI do not follow up, of course they do. To state otherwise is merely a display of ignorance, by all means of respect.

This, and it is improbable that a highly-advanced civilization would use a communications technology we are familiar with in our technological infancy. A baby might recognize a telephone or computer after a time: it likely won't know what a satellite phone or the Internet is, or how they work.

We have no idea. But it is very likely that they would use some kind of radio communications, which we can certainly detect within a given range.

I think that they do visit here.

You are certainly entitled to your belief, I respect that.

The evidence they left behind makes clear that they were here long before we were. And they have likely retained some interest in this world.

But now you are making up facts to support your belief, and that you are not entitled to. If you want to state such you need to supply evidence.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

Cheers,

Badeskov

He's known for it.

I find it verylikely life exists elsewhere, but can't say so for certain. I think there's goodpossibility of life on other bodies in our solar system, and I really hope the various space agencies get funding to seek it out.

Just so long as no one tries to bring the good word to it or seek to introduce democracy...

This is simply not true. Neither NASA nor any other organization has found any evidence of microbes anywhere outside of Earth. If you think otherwise, please reference it.

They have. You should keep better informed: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7805069/Titan-Nasa-scientists-discover-evidence-that-alien-life-exists-on-Saturns-moon.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/04/120413-nasa-viking-program-mars-life-space-science/

And this is patently false. SETI meticulously follows up on any signal that could have even the faintest ET signature. Nothing has come off it yet, though. The most famous signal is the WOW! signal:

So please do not say that SETI do not follow up, of course they do. To state otherwise is merely a display of ignorance, by all means of respect.

I am aware that SETI follows up. What I meant was that the signals which are most interesting have not repeated, such as the WOW! signal. I apologize if my phrasing was confusing.

We have no idea. But it is very likely that they would use some kind of radio communications, which we can certainly detect within a given range.

By what measure do you determine it to be "very likely" that an advanced race would use radio communications? When you're going between stars, it isn't exactly time-effective to use a means of communications which can only move at the speed of light.

You are certainly entitled to your belief, I respect that.

It is a belief. A belief based on facts and evidence.

But now you are making up facts to support your belief, and that you are not entitled to. If you want to state such you need to supply evidence.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I have not "made up" any facts. If you are unfamiliar with the evidence I have mentioned, that is not my issue. If you wish to discuss this further, I suggest you first familiarize yourself with my sources--perhaps that way you can do better than simply declare that I'm "making up" facts, or "there is no evidence".

I think that there is a pretty good chance that we are not alone in this universe. However, given the distances involved I dont think we will ever find the evidence to support this.

To believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe is being rather presumptious IMO. :)