Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking robots found life on Mars in 1976,

Show me a picture of an earth hill that appears so much brighter than the lower ground around it.

IMG_1418.jpg

Actually I was just being funny about the disclosure. But the bightness on that "monolith" indicates that it is much more reflective than the surrounding material, so you will not convince me it is a hill. A hill would be composed of the same material surrounding it. Show me a picture of an earth hill that appears so much brighter than the lower ground around it.

You've never seen a mountain or tall hill where the uppoer part is illuminated more than the lower part at sun rise or sun set?

Really?

Or even on buildings, statues, tall structures of any kind?

I live in Florida and I've seen this.

Where do you live?

ob-hill-sunset-l.jpg

sattelite phots please.

You seriously cant see how one of those could be mistaken for an alien artifact, in the "right conditions", picture taken from orbit by the MRO, or any other spacecraft designed to conduct reconnaissance in this starsystem?

Edited by Hazzard

I would guess that part of the skill sets of being a pilot and astronaut would include being educated at recognizing features in landscapes from above. Doubly so for one who actually did land on another planet.

Is your guess actually right? I find it hard to imagine that being a pilot or astronaut involves training to let you determine whether an object on the ground is an artificial or natural monolith. Surely some knowledge of geology and particularly Martian geology is needed to determine the nature of this object and if it is reasonable to conclude it's not natural.
One thing for sure about the supposed monolith. It is highly reflective compared to the material around it.
Possibly because it's a different type of rock of a different colour to the surrounding area which has eroded away to expose the rock in question. One of the reasons you get monoliths on earth sticking out of the ground is because it's a harder more erosion resistant rock than what surrounds it so if erosive forces wash away the ground, the rock remains sticking out of the ground.

edit: Another thought - the top of the rock isn't horizontal and is actually facing the sun and thus reflecting more light upward towards the satellite.

Edited by Archimedes

What is it with this fascination when it comes to "straight lines" and aliens? Nature does this all the time here on Earth, so why not on other planets/moons/asteroids? The only difference being, Earth has an atmosphere eroding these things down as time goes by...

Edited by Hazzard

What is it with this fascination when it comes to "straight lines" and aliens? Nature does this all the time here on Earth, so why not on other planets/moons/asteroids? The only difference being, Earth has an atmosphere eroding these things down as time goes by...

Common wisdom is nature doesn't make straight lines. Anything that violates common wisdom is therefor mysterious and suspect.

Common wisdom is nature doesn't make straight lines. Anything that violates common wisdom is therefor mysterious and suspect.

Well then "common wisdom" is wrong, isnt it.

Well then "common wisdom" is wrong, isnt it.

Yup. S'why I'm not a big fan of common sense.

Oneof the things that bugs me about these sorts of threads is, none of this is new. The idea dates back to the findings of the original findings of the Viking lander.

(I do wish Carl Sagan was still alive, wonder what he'd have to say about this new rework of the information.)

it's sort of like how the news recently made rounds that astronauts and space probes had detected amino acids abounding in space.

Loud cries of conspiracy and disclosure and such were made.

Yet the original data had been released to the public almost immediately after the landings, and was well known to people who had just a passing interest in space, like myself.

Also, the nature of the straight lines, perfect circles, neat rectangles, etc. is typically exagerrated when discussing things like this on Mars. The image of this "monolith" doesn't have enough resolution to tell just how straight the sides are and we also have only a top down image. It's typical of people to leap from seeing something that is roughly regular and straight to declaring that it is actually perfectly straight and regular.

Sorry, I'm a little dyslexic. I thought the Vikings were being given some sort of tongue-in-cheek credit for being the first men on Mars...ha ha.

Also, the nature of the straight lines, perfect circles, neat rectangles, etc. is typically exagerrated when discussing things like this on Mars. The image of this "monolith" doesn't have enough resolution to tell just how straight the sides are and we also have only a top down image. It's typical of people to leap from seeing something that is roughly regular and straight to declaring that it is actually perfectly straight and regular.

Lets be honest here,... your "opinion" that these things are/has to be "made by ET" is questionable, right? And Im sure that you also can agree with the fact that nature do indeed make straight lines and pyramides and other "alien" artifacts.

Edited by Hazzard

My opinion is that this is a natural rock formation. Where did you get the idea that I think this "has to be made by ET"?

Perhaps you should reread my post. What I am saying is that people who promote rocks on Mars as being artificial structures exaggerate the straightness, perfectness, regularity, etc. of what they are touting as artificial, when in fact the images they are looking at lack the resolution and detail to tell just how straight or regular the rock in question actually is.

Lets be honest here,... your "opinion" that these things are/has to be "made by ET" is questionable, right? And Im sure that you also can agree with the fact that nature do indeed make straight lines and pyramides and other "alien" artifacts.

Did you mean to reply to Archimedes? 'cause he's not arguing alien artifact, unless I'm mistaken.

Did you mean to reply to Archimedes? 'cause he's not arguing alien artifact, unless I'm mistaken.

My apoligies, we are having a birthday party here :wacko: ,... Ill try and pay more attention before posting next time. :tu::lol:

The last post still stand though, nature do indeed make straight lines and pyramides and other "alien" artifacts.

It's all good. No worries.

I agree that nature does indeed make all sorts of regular straight, regular, circular, etc. features. I'm just pointing out that this information, combined with the fact that the straightness, regularity, etc. of proposed Martian artefacts are regularly exaggerated or in doubt, gives us reason to be extra skeptical about these kind of claims.

The chances that probes we send to Mars carry bacteria is slim to none. Everything is sterilised before we send it.

Disclosure is one of those real words with a manufactured meaning. NASA has had to scale back all of it's programs due to the lack of funding. The discovery of life of any kind on Mars would renew interest and most probably restore funding.

Plants and animals on Mars? Geez, one only has to peruse the images for a short time to realise how rediculous this notion is.

Plants and animals on Mars? Geez, one only has to peruse the images for a short time to realise how rediculous this notion is.
But the forests on Mars have been airbrushed over. NASA have meticulously use various smoothing algorithms to hide the evidence! And I know this because I have looked at the pixels and can tell a smoothing algorithm has been used.

Or so the wannabee Mars anomaly watchers would have you believe. That there exists a huge conspiracy within NASA (and ESA) to edit the hundreds of thousands of images from various orbiters and rovers on Mars to hide what the Mars anomaly watchers know exists - cities! birdmen! metallic domes! perfectly square monoliths! cityscapes! pyramids! you name it, it's there!

Edited by Archimedes

But the forests on Mars have been airbrushed over. NASA have meticulously use various smoothing algorithms to hide the evidence! And I know this because I have looked at the pixels and can tell a smoothing algorithm has been used.

Or so the wannabee Mars anomaly watchers would have you believe. That there exists a huge conspiracy within NASA (and ESA) to edit the hundreds of thousands of images from various orbiters and rovers on Mars to hide what the Mars anomaly watchers know exists - cities! birdmen! metallic domes! perfectly square monoliths! cityscapes! pyramids! you name it, it's there!

You really have to hand it to Hoagland and his ilk, they have been ultra successful in their scams. I mean, really, when absolutely anything you say, no matter how ludicrous, is taken for the absolute truth, that, my friend is success.

The initial findings of space exploration were everything is a lifeless husk but the Earth.

Everything ? Blimey, since when have we sent a space ship to the furthest corner of the known frontiers of space ? I thought we'd only sent probes and other vehicles to about eight planets, one sun and a few asteroids and comets. Aren't there a few trillion trillion left to do ? (and they're just the ones we can see)

I think it is highly likely that NASA did find evidence of life on Mars, but covered it up. NASA is a federal government organization, and as such it inherently does not have the best interest of the common citizen at heart. As a federal agency, it is also under the thumb of legislation and regulation that would easily control and censor the flow of information to the public. Why do you think there have been no private or commercial ventures doing interplanetary exploration? It's not because there is any lack of ideas, passion, and funding among private citizens. It's because the federal government either directly or indirectly stifles such operations before they leave the drawing board. How do you keep genius citizens from uncovering hidden mysteries of the universe? Crash the economy and distract them with crises so they cannot realize their dreams. Trust me, the federal government in general does not want citizens becoming too independent or empowered. Today's administration is the exact opposite of what our founding fathers intended when they implemented the U.S. constitution.

:alien:

I will agree with you that the United States is starting to look less like what it was intended to be: this is supposed to be a secular, non-Christian nation. I'd like to see a president for once that isn't asking his imaginary friend for advice in order to win over the Christian voters...

this is supposed to be a secular, non-Christian nation.

Bloody hell, since when ? I must have missed that bit.

Everything ? Blimey, since when have we sent a space ship to the furthest corner of the known frontiers of space ? I thought we'd only sent probes and other vehicles to about eight planets, one sun and a few asteroids and comets. Aren't there a few trillion trillion left to do ? (and they're just the ones we can see)

And actually most of these have indicated posibilites of past life on Mars, and the possibility of present life on the moons of the gas giants.

So... there's that.

Bloody hell, since when ? I must have missed that bit.

The founders left clear writings as to the intent of the founding of the country to have religions be separate from the State, unlike the state religion in England and the abuses it engendered.

However, this has been mostly forgotten in the last fifty, sixty years and the US is a defacto religious nation. We have people in power right now passing laws that are on the same wave length as any of the nutters in the Middle East.

We have people in power right now passing laws that are on the same wave length as any of the nutters in the Middle East.

Really ? Humour me - describe one of those laws being passed now that will make Christians feel it is their moral duty to drive out, maim and murder anyone who does not believe in Christ.

Or is that not the wave-length you were thinking of ?