Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple sue landlord over haunted house

Saru

The pair claim they had to flee their newly rented home after only one week due to paranormal activity.

A New Jersey couple is suing the landlord of their three-bedroom ranch house in Toms River, claiming it's haunted, the Asbury Park Press reports. Josue Chinchilla, 37, and Michele Callan, 36, fled the house in March after staying only one week and want their $2,250 security deposit back.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Toms River Haunted House (4/12/12): Investigation video of the haunting of a Toms River home.

VIDEO COURTESY OF SHORE PARANORMAL RESEARCH SOCIETY

Source

Just think of all the ppl that took mortgages and found something wrong with the house, and it took them time to sell it.

Why should this couple get special treatment? There's been hundreds of cases of people buying homes and thinking their "haunted" only having to deal with it. It's life. I don't believe for a moment this home has anything going on but, even if something was, be an adult and deal with it. Set up a Camera. I promise all the activity will disappear. :tu:

So they assume its ghosts and not vermin like mice in the walls or bird in the roof. If it was happening all the time im sure they have plenty of video evidence.

Groan! :rolleyes: Not that old chestnut...

I mean, how many times has this excuse been used to try and get out of a tenancy?

Edited by blueandi

I recon they should stay for a few months then leave suddenly & write a story of the horrific events that happened to them in the house & maybe make a film & a few dollars.Its not as if this has been done a million times before.LOL

• Like 1

Let occupy wall street live there ! They need a place. :rolleyes:

Toms River Haunted House (4/12/12): Investigation video of the haunting of a Toms River home.

VIDEO COURTESY OF SHORE PARANORMAL RESEARCH SOCIETY

Source

Hey I saw something on that video. I'm sure there were a few others I missed but at 3:15 check out the top left quadrant. You can see two small lights appear from behind the column. Almost looks like two eyes peering out around the column then ducking back behind it. What other things did you guys spot on the video? I didn't see any text indicating where and when all the anomolies could be found.

Hey I saw something on that video. I'm sure there were a few others I missed but at 3:15 check out the top left quadrant. You can see two small lights appear from behind the column. Almost looks like two eyes peering out around the column then ducking back behind it. What other things did you guys spot on the video? I didn't see any text indicating where and when all the anomolies could be found.

Hey, I looked at the video in the spot where you said, and saw what you were talking about. I then used MAGIX Video Pro 4 to zoom and isolate this and it's a bug flying I'm afraid. It gives a strange effect because the video we're seeing on that link is actually sped up. If you slow it down and just view it full screen you will see the bug flying in a zig zag path then back behind the beam.

Let occupy wall street live there ! They need a place. :rolleyes:

lol

Why should this couple get special treatment? There's been hundreds of cases of people buying homes and thinking their "haunted" only having to deal with it. It's life. I don't believe for a moment this home has anything going on but, even if something was, be an adult and deal with it. Set up a Camera. I promise all the activity will disappear. :tu:

I haven't looked into this state or which it's applicable, but some places it is required that the real estate agent (whether renting or selling) is required to disclose if the location is haunted if it is known. This may not apply to this situation since the original owner of the home states he is unaware of any haunting or paranormal activity in the home. I just thought I'd throw that piece in since you were making a statement about other situations where people just "had to deal with hauntings". I only mention this cause I'm studying for my realtors license. This of course is a grey issue and there are lots of stipulations that are neither here nor there regarding this thread :) not to get off topic. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Hmmm, I wonder if the couple were hacked off cos the alleged ghost isnt tipping in for its share of rent plus bills :unsure2:

Or could it be classed as sub letting ???

Hmmm, I wonder if the couple were hacked off cos the alleged ghost isnt tipping in for its share of rent plus bills :unsure2:

Or could it be classed as sub letting ???

Oh geez lol :rofl:

Good luck! If I was the landlord I'd keep the deposit too. I'd refund what's left when a new tennant moves in minus advertising. Gits.

I haven't looked into this state or which it's applicable, but some places it is required that the real estate agent (whether renting or selling) is required to disclose if the location is haunted if it is known. This may not apply to this situation since the original owner of the home states he is unaware of any haunting or paranormal activity in the home. I just thought I'd throw that piece in since you were making a statement about other situations where people just "had to deal with hauntings". I only mention this cause I'm studying for my realtors license. This of course is a grey issue and there are lots of stipulations that are neither here nor there regarding this thread :) not to get off topic. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Hey there, I didn't know that. That's rather interesting to me as how on Earth could a court substantiate if a place is "haunted" or not? Or rather, how could court make a ruling about a subject that isn't scientifically verified and is nothing more than here-say. . Seems like nothing more than an "easy out" clause.

Hey there, I didn't know that. That's rather interesting to me as how on Earth could a court substantiate if a place is "haunted" or not? Or rather, how could court make a ruling about a subject that isn't scientifically verified and is nothing more than here-say. . Seems like nothing more than an "easy out" clause.

Yeah, thats a good point you made.

How could a court possibly prove a place is haunted or not??

Maybe landlords could put

May possibly be haunted, but possibly not

In the tenancy agreement

I think a realtor would tell a prospective tenant if there had ever been reports of a haunting only so the tenant or buyer would know what had been said. If they go ahead with the transaction anyway, well, they were told. Most people would just ignore it anyways. I wonder if realtors will tell you if a murder or violent death has ever happened in the house.

I think a realtor would tell a prospective tenant if there had ever been reports of a haunting only so the tenant or buyer would know what had been said. If they go ahead with the transaction anyway, well, they were told. Most people would just ignore it anyways. I wonder if realtors will tell you if a murder or violent death has ever happened in the house.

I hold a Broker's license here in Oklahoma & yes, if the Realtor knows for a fact anything about the house, they are required to reveal it. The owner is required to reveal known facts. Tragic deaths would be included, especially if it were from some deadly, highly contagious disease.

I don't believe I ever studied anything about "hauntings", though. I agree that this is something that would be difficult to back up in court.

I hold a Broker's license here in Oklahoma & yes, if the Realtor knows for a fact anything about the house, they are required to reveal it. The owner is required to reveal known facts. Tragic deaths would be included, especially if it were from some deadly, highly contagious disease.

I don't believe I ever studied anything about "hauntings", though. I agree that this is something that would be difficult to back up in court.

How often does a realtor do so though? Honestly?

How often does a realtor do so though? Honestly?

Realtors should not get caught up with gossip & hearsay, so going around saying "I heard the place was haunted" would be a definite no-no.

All the Realtors I know are as honest as the day is long. However, they don't often offer up information if it is not specifically asked for. If asked a direct question that they "for a fact" know the answer to, they are legally obligated to disclose the information. There are documents that must be signed disclosing ALL information/known facts about the home.

http://www.trustmarktitle.com/images/addresproconditiondis.pdf

Edited by msm57

Realtors should not get caught up with gossip & hearsay, so going around saying "I heard the place was haunted" would be a definite no-no.

All the Realtors I know are as honest as the day is long. However, they don't often offer up information if it is not specifically asked for. If asked a direct question that they "for a fact" know the answer to, they are legally obligated to disclose the information. There are documents that must be signed disclosing ALL information/known facts about the home.

http://www.trustmarktitle.com/images/addresproconditiondis.pdf

Plus like somebody else said, don't the landlord have an obligation to make sure there are no other "tenants" in the house before renting it? Seems like these folks don't like bunking up with haints.

I thought it was murders not hauntings that estate agents had to declare? If it was hauntings then is there some sort of chart that lists things classed as a haunting or not? Like for instance if someone says they saw a ghost does that mean the estate agent must declare it by law or do 'ghost experts' have to investigate and write a report?

This is the only thing I could find and it only mentions realtors, not landlords...

New Jersey's administrative code requires Realtors to inform prospective buyers about any psychological impairment they know about--which includes "murder or suicide which occurred on a property, or a property purportedly being haunted."

Source

I also notice that no one commented on the very end of the original article:

In 1976, George and Kathy Lutz stirred up similar skepticism over their motives when they claimed that supernatural forces drove them from their new home in Amityville, N.Y., after 28 days.A book about their experiences entitled, The Amityville Horror, was later turned into a 1979 movie starring James Brolin and Margot Kidder.

Where was that movie filmed? In Toms River, N.J.

Coincidence?

I know some states have rules that require notification to buyers that a home is "notorious" or whatever to be haunted. It's designed to keep people from buying a home that they may never be able to sell again. Purchasing notorious property can be good, or it can be bad. Like, who would want to buy a home, only to find out later that dozens of murders had been committed in that home, and bodies stored in the basement, etc etc.?