Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple sue landlord over haunted house

Saru

This is the only thing I could find and it only mentions realtors, not landlords...

Source

I also notice that no one commented on the very end of the original article:

Hey, thanks for the information. Appreciate the leg work you did there! Also, you said no one commented on the very end of the article? Which part? I've went and re-read it and am curious what you are referring needs attention? The bit about the Amityville horror? Or possibly these people are going to try and write a book as well, thus they are trying to gain national attention and merit for such an event?

If its haunted, can't deal with it, move. If the landlord knew it was haunted and didn't tell them about it they should get their deposit back.

Haha Sucks to be them. If I lived in a haunted house, I would stay and investigate

Edited by TDunbar18

I know for a fact FLORIDA is a "full disclosure state" which means that if your house is haunted You must tell the prospective buyers. So what usually happens is the buyers are allowed one night in the house to see how bad it is for themselves. Usually the buyers will bring Paranormal Investigators to find out what kind of haunting it is and if it is tolerable for the family to live there.

I am not sure about Oklahoma but Illinois does not have full disclosure laws including the paranormal.

You know people might think this is funny but I'm sure it is very scary to live in a house that has demon activity or even just paranormal activity. I respect the couple that they bolted out of there.

I believe these laws are really geared towards homes that have a "reputation" rather than an actual haunting. It's rather hard to prove in any court of law that there is such a thing as "haunted".

The full disclosure is awesome. I'd see if I liked the neighborhood, make sure no snot nose kids were too loud on the cul de sac and claim ghosties if I wasn't happen. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are often woken by strange voices anda mysterious force pulling at the bedclothes, our 1 year old son!

What a bunch of horse5hit more like the couldn't afford the rent

My wife and I are often woken by strange voices anda mysterious force pulling at the bedclothes, our 1 year old son!

What a bunch of horse5hit more like the couldn't afford the rent

Agreed! Next time I need to sell something, I'm saying it's haunted. I'll get 10x as much for it.

Not if its a toilet you wont.

After all, who would wanna use a haunted toilet??

You could be grabbed by the ghoulies ;)

• Like 1

I believe these laws are really geared towards homes that have a "reputation" rather than an actual haunting. It's rather hard to prove in any court of law that there is such a thing as "haunted".

Yeah, you would just need to get a couple of scientists collect actual evidence of the haunting. It would never happen. It would more then likely get thrown out of court. Out of interest does anyone know if there have been any actual court cases with regards to ghosts?

Not if its a toilet you wont.

After all, who would wanna use a haunted toilet??

You could be grabbed by the ghoulies ;)

You'd buy it. :w00t:

Out of interest does anyone know if there have been any actual court cases with regards to ghosts?

In what respect?

You'd buy it. :w00t:

hell i'd buy it too! :tu:

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how you would "prove" that.

They will lose, they signed an agreement to research on their own for previous deaths. So realitor and landlore do tell the clients that they can not give any information by legal obligation about the deaths on that property or in the house.

Edited by Brian Topp

Maybe they're mad because they found out that they have to pay for the ghosts to.

" Oh yes the house costs this much but you also have to buy the ghosts as well.... :whistle: "

I'd love to see some lawyer trying to prove the place is haunted

Wonder if they could get a medium in as a witness

Just for some info on this.... There is apparently a case on the books about a haunted house- Strambovsky vs. Ackley. Not quite the same kind of deal as in this thread.. The owner of the house published stories about the house being haunted, and didn't disclose that to a prospective buyer- once the buyer found out about the haunted rep, he wanted to back out of the purchase of the house- eventually he was able to back out of the deal and the house was sold to someone else.

As for this particular case... The couple has already had their day in Peoples Court- yes, the TV show. The judge found against them- the landlord gets to keep the deposit, and the couple owe three months rent now because they didn't actually move all the way out of the house apparently..

Here's an article about it: http://www.app.com/a...People-s-Court-

Maybe they're mad because they found out that they have to pay for the ghosts to.

" Oh yes the house costs this much but you also have to buy the ghosts as well.... :whistle: "

Ghosts use too much water.

• 3 weeks later...

Court Clerk: Name?

Defendant: John Smith

Court Clerk: Date of Birth?

Defendant: June 6th 1666

Court Clerk: Uh?

Defendant; You should be more careful who you summon.

Muhahahahahaha

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

In some states you have to disclose info like this to potential renters or buyers so say they will loose is not true.If I sold you a pair of nike's fresh out the box but it had dog pop inside the shoe you should get a refund right well in this case they should refunded their deposit especially if they have proof.Untill you experience the paranormal it will always be a joke to many.