Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple sue landlord over haunted house

Saru

In some states you have to disclose info like this to potential renters or buyers so say they will loose is not true.If I sold you a pair of nike's fresh out the box but it had dog pop inside the shoe you should get a refund right well in this case they should refunded their deposit especially if they have proof.Untill you experience the paranormal it will always be a joke to many.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't looked into this state or which it's applicable, but some places it is required that the real estate agent (whether renting or selling) is required to disclose if the location is haunted if it is known. This may not apply to this situation since the original owner of the home states he is unaware of any haunting or paranormal activity in the home. I just thought I'd throw that piece in since you were making a statement about other situations where people just "had to deal with hauntings". I only mention this cause I'm studying for my realtors license. This of course is a grey issue and there are lots of stipulations that are neither here nor there regarding this thread :) not to get off topic. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

This is interesting. I understand that realtors need to disclose crimes such as murders that occurred on the property, but this is the first time that I have heard that a realtor must disclose a haunting.

Let's say in an alternative universe I'm a estate agent (I'm assuming this is what a "realtor" is).

I don't believe in ghosts, so I'm not going to talk to a client that a house might have ghosts or demons of fairies or dragons or any weird crap like that.

A few months after not paying rent they say they can't live there because it's haunted and I should have told them there's a ghost in it and they want their bond back.

A judge would have to be on acid to side with the tenant in that court case.

Or do judges believe in ghosts in America?

It doesn't surprise me that this couple are Americans. Americans sue over anything.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

It doesn't surprise me that this couple are Americans. Americans sue over anything.

Scottish jail prisoners sued the government cos having to pee in a bucket at night violated their 'human rights'. They won, I believe.

You'll be hearing from my lawyers over that statement.

• Like 2

I highly doubt that a claim of "failure to disclose suggested prior paranormal activity" would even come close to being a viable claim in the courts. At least in the US.

Does anyone know of a US court case that accepted such claims?

I highly doubt that a claim of "failure to disclose suggested prior paranormal activity" would even come close to being a viable claim in the courts. At least in the US.

Does anyone know of a US court case that accepted such claims?

Apparently, yes:

http://news.yahoo.com/legal-precedents-couple-suing-landlord-over-haunted-house-211500488.html

Stambovsky v. Ackley

Reed v. King

Church Street Station

Not all are Americans .They just live here .I cannot even tell you how many immigrant injury cases ive treated in my career .

1000s . I would say 10% are people born here ,90% are not .This is pain management for no fault and workers comp cases ..

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Apparently, yes:

http://news.yahoo.com/legal-precedents-couple-suing-landlord-over-haunted-house-211500488.html

Stambovsky v. Ackley

Reed v. King

Church Street Station

What an idiot .Everyone knows how superstitious the Japanese are. They won't go near haunted property .