Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little boy lost finds his mother using Google

Still Waters

An Indian boy who lost his mother in 1986 has found her 25 years later from his new home in Tasmania - using satellite images.

Saroo was only five years old when he got lost. He was travelling with his older brother, working as a sweeper on India's trains. "It was late at night. We got off the train, and I was so tired that I just took a seat at a train station, and I ended up falling asleep."

That fateful nap would determine the rest of his life. "I thought my brother would come back and wake me up but when I awoke he was nowhere to be seen. I saw a train in front of me and thought he must be on that train. So I decided to get on it and hoped that I would meet my brother."

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Wow, I am so glad that had a happy ending - for Saroo at least, I do feel sorry for his older brother. What a clever little boy he must have been to survive on the streets as a five year old and outwit those who would do him harm. It is a great tale and would make a great movie, as they mention - three cheers for Google Earth, at least in this instance.

• Like 1

Hollywood will want to make a movie about this story.. It seems almost a cert.....

Good story.. shame his brother was killed shortly after his disappearance... The mother doesn't know if it was foul play or not... It is sad ....

and now it will become a chinese proverb and saying. chinese parents lecturing their children how someone who was so hardworking finally has a happy ending

• 6 months later...

If he could not tell anyone his mothers name or the town in which he lives, How could he look up that "town" on google earth? I'm calling fake on this one

Its good to read a nice story for a change - Pity he's a Tasmanian ( local joke - just kidding :unsure2: )

TiP.

Poor kid, glad it had a happy ending. It would of been happier if he brother hadn't been killed.

I'd have been looking for my kid the day he didn't come home.

Glad he found her but I like to think I'd have found him pretty soon after he went missing as a mother

I'd have been looking for my kid the day he didn't come home.

Glad he found her but I like to think I'd have found him pretty soon after he went missing as a mother

Every mother would no doubt like to think that, including his - unfortunately it is easier said than done to find a lost child especially when they are such a long distance away and could have dissappeared from home in any 360 degree direction.