Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Underestimating Risk of Human Extinction

Shabd Mystic

We're Underestimating the Risk of Human Extinction

Unthinkable as it may be, humanity, every last person, could someday be wiped from the face of the Earth. We have learned to worry about asteroids and supervolcanoes, but the more-likely scenario, according to Nick Bostrom, a professor of philosophy at Oxford, is that we humans will destroy ourselves ...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why this is so unimaginable, humans will suffer the same fate as every other species at some point in time due to over population, fouling the environment we live in and such. Man's only been around for twenty-five thousand of so years and we've just about screwed to whole planet up, unlike the dinosaurs who lived here from millions of years because they didn't destroy the place they lived in.

I believe in what the Bible says will happen. In the coming years (I don't know if it will be 10 or 10000)mankind will fall victim to our lusts for violence and control and we will use our weapons to wage a war that will kill, through violence, famine disease and natural disasters, about 2/3 of life on the planet. Today that would be about 4 billion souls. I think it would have to be a nuclear war followed by worldwide famine and disease outbreaks. Just when we are nearing a point where extinction is likely, our Creator will return and put a stop to the insanity we have been engaged in. The survivors, will be governed by a caring but firm dictator/king (the Christ) who will see to the replenishment of the earth through "supernatural" means. It will be a new age where humans live along side of spirit beings with immortal bodies. A period of one thousand years will elapse under this system of protection and growth. Human children will continue to be born and will live in this perfect world but at the end of the thousand years the deceiver (satan) is allowed to lead a final insurrection against the Creator. It is quickly and completely stopped and all who take part in it are destroyed utterly. This is prelude to the final judgment of mankind, followed by the complete renewal of heaven and earth. No man knows the day or hour but most Christians these days believe we are in this final season.

I also believe that it will be caused by nuclear war. There are just too many rogue countries developing them that something eventually bad will happen. All it would take would be for a couple of them to be set off for it to quickly escalate to a world wide conflict.

I also believe that it will be caused by nuclear war. There are just too many rogue countries developing them that something eventually bad will happen. All it would take would be for a couple of them to be set off for it to quickly escalate to a world wide conflict.

You certainly can't rule out rogue countries, nor can you rule out terrorist. However, if you were a country that initiated a nuclear strike then whomever was your target would know where to send the retaliatory strike. With terrorist they might get a weapon from Pakistan, sneak into into a country, say Israel, detonate it.........then cover their tracks and keep quiet about it. It might be very hard to figure out who they were/are.

I personally think over population is our biggest immediate concern. The Earth is only so big and can't support but a finite number of humans.

Well, higher "intellect" is then going to shine as an evolutionary failure ... how interesting.

• Like 1

Well, higher "intellect" is then going to shine as an evolutionary failure ... how interesting.

I think this is precisely true. Because our intellect seems very separate from our "morality" We are advancing in leaps technologically but are as morally bankrupt as we've ever been as a species. We are never more than one good flare up away from massive war.

• Like 1

I don't know why this is so unimaginable, humans will suffer the same fate as every other species at some point in time due to over population, fouling the environment we live in and such. Man's only been around for twenty-five thousand of so years and we've just about screwed to whole planet up, unlike the dinosaurs who lived here from millions of years because they didn't destroy the place they lived in.

I agree completely!

My guess is that the galactic and planetary alignment we face this winter solstice will be the precipitating event. I don't know about extinction of the species, but it's certainly possible.

Whatever happens, life as we know it today, with internet and GPS and perhaps even basic electricity, will experience a drastic change from a cosmic event.

We may have potentially high intelligence, but just like a gorilla may not be able to build a house, yet alone a useful simple weapon for hunt (I dont know if they even eat meat, but since theyre apes like us I presume they like meat), just the same we can build complex systems that at the end of the day, are there just for show. We got the knowhow and technology, but it's being used in such a small scale that most of us are still stuck with those "just for the show" -jobs. Then some people say we're not animals but still we're just as vulnerable for influences and suggestions like them.

But you know, I dont have any desire to be a converter, knock someone's door, point these things out to the root, do it every day as my job. I dont think anyone likes to do that, preaching when there's building that needs to be done. You're just missing the bricks, money.

Look what Bill Gates did, he built a bunker in the Antarctic, full of seeds of different plants, so that if something happens he can sit it out there. Smart guy. I'd rather work as a shelther-builder than make regulators for a powerplant that supplies for overconsuming outdated tech, when I know that we'd be better off farming our own food as a light side-work. Could use that time to develop my spirituality or produce some material related to that, too.

This most certianly does not have to be the case. We can correct this problem with public education.

Considering this might help.... "God is asleep in rocks and minerals, waking in plants and animals, to know self in man" That is the jest of Chardin's thinking.

A return to Greek and Eastern philosophy could result in a consciousness that can achieve the promise of the New Age instead of destruction.

This most certianly does not have to be the case. We can correct this problem with public education.

Considering this might help.... "God is asleep in rocks and minerals, waking in plants and animals, to know self in man" That is the jest of Chardin's thinking.

A return to Greek and Eastern philosophy could result in a consciousness that can achieve the promise of the New Age instead of destruction.

Except that both have already come and gone as models for the world. I think the issue is human nature itself. There is an innate drive within us as a species to conquer and control. Some express it as an act of building up. Others as pure destruction. And since destroying is much easier than building, we only crawl forward. I truly believe that this is the lesson we have to learn and it will be bought at a very dear price. Only when we have actually come near to destroying EVERYTHING will we finally be willing to give ourselves over to divine direction and allow self will to be removed willingly from our makeup. Until then we can become intimately aware of the possibilities but we won't be able to bring them to fruition.