Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blue balls of light in the sky.

skylight1

I remember twice seeing a little blue orb or ball of bright light in the sky that traveled quickly and left a faint trail, perhaps from its speed... I explained it to myself as ball lightning. Has anyone else seen these things?

Apparently someone posting on Abovetopsecret did:

I live in the Texas Panhandle. About 12 am the other night i once again saw this blue ball of light travel below cloud-level. I am not a believer in ufos and such, but i cannot explain these sightings. I know that it wasnt a shooting star because of how low in the sky it was. I dont know the size of this light but to the naked eye as far as how big it looks is about the size of a basketball id say. When the light comes into view it is bright baby blue, and it traveled horizontally. It looked as though it was barely above my apartment complex. As it streaked off it creates a tail im guessing because of the speed it is travelling. As i stated before this is the second time ive seen it. Feel free to debate.

This sounds pretty much like what I've seen, the only difference being that I could tell it was MUCH larger than a basketball... it went behind the tree line and was close to half the width of the 80-foot-tall or so pine trees in our neighborhood. I live on the very western edge of town, and there's a creek there, then a highway, then... nothing really. it looked like it was going from southeast to northwest.

Here's a picture of what I saw:

http://pictify.me/i/681

Just a big, blue ball of bright light determined to get somewhere fast.

Ball lightning? Or what else do you think it could have been? People on the abovetopsecret thread I linked associate it with a bright flash of light...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skylight1

• Englishgent

• Gatofeo

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely, ball lightning.

I recall reading a newspaper report in the late 1960s or early 1970s of a commercial passenger in flight during a storm. Suddenly, a ball of bluish light appeared and zipped down the aisle. It disappeared somewhere near the restrooms at the back.

You can imagine the consternation of the passengers! It was later attributed to ball lightning, after scientists and the FAA interviewed the dozens of passengers who witnessed it.

Ball lightning is weird stuff, but entirely natural. A meteorologist could explain it scientifically, but my basic understanding is that akin to a large charge of static electricity.

The valley near me had a reputation in the early 1990s for drivers seeing a red or bluish ball of light pacing them, just off the highway. A co-worker of mine actually saw it, with her husband, in its reddish form. It paced their vehicle, an estimated 50 feet away across the sagebrush, then was suddenly out.

I haven' heard of a sighting in years. Never seen it myself. I'd strongly suspect ball lightning in this phenomenon.

Consider yourself lucky to see it; very few people ever do.

I too would suggest ball lightning although the size you say is rather large. Witness accounts of ball lightning have usually described it as appearing to be about basketball size. I would love to witness this phenonemon. I photograph lightning as a hobby but have not yet been lucky enough to see anything that would fit the description of ball lightning. :(

Yeah for the sizing, I could have been tired and saw it to be larger than it actually was. To have seen it twice I'd say I'm pretty lucky. Good to know it's ball lightning though!

Yeah for the sizing, I could have been tired and saw it to be larger than it actually was. To have seen it twice I'd say I'm pretty lucky. Good to know it's ball lightning though!

Please dont take mine and Gatofeo's explanation as what you saw definitely being ball lightning. We are only giving a possible cause for what you saw. Other people here might well see it differently. If it was ball lightning then yes, you have been extremely lucky :)