Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Talking to yourself helps you focus

Still Waters

Talking to yourself is supposed to be the first sign of madness - but a new study suggests it has practical uses.

Most of us have ducked away from a 'madman' in the street, only to realise they are in fact using a Bluetooth headset.

Now a new University of Pennsylvania study shows that wandering along muttering, 'keys, keys, keys' can actually help (normal, sane) people find lost objects.

Saying a word helps focus the mind on something people are looking for - and it works more effectively than seeing a written description.

Repeating the word over and over again helps even more.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

ha ha, suck it, stupid people who make fun of me for talking to myself! Turns out I have better focus than you guys!

• Like 1

ha ha, suck it, stupid people who make fun of me for talking to myself! Turns out I have better focus than you guys!

well now, that depends what you're saying arawyn. if it's "ShutuP! sHutUP You VOicEs! I'm nOT gOiNg to PoisOn tHe kITTies!!"

then you might not be in your best calmspace for finding keys and apples. :P

Its ok I guess talking to yourself,but the problem is...answering yourself back,especially if you are giving the wrong answers,then you've gotta big problem..

I don't talk to myself as such, but I do think out loud sometimes.

I often talk to myself when i'm doing a bit of DIY in the house or some other job,i think it does help you concentrate more..

i find that if i want to remember something, as in a phone number or address or someone's name, i have to say it out loud.

not really the same as talking to myself, but sort of

btw, talking to yourself is not a problem, but if you get into an argument with yourself i'd say you have issues

Edited by JGirl

Out Loud.......Now where did I put those car keys, oh dear I left them in the car, Oh dear,dear the cars not in the place I left it...which means Ive lost my house key as well...!!!! with my name and address on the key ring tab.....OH DEAR..........(it didnt happen....yet ! )....If

Arguing with yourself is so poetic; it's like a spiritual battle made manifest.

• Like 1

Most Carpenters say measurements out loud.. to help them remember on the way to the saw. It works most of the time.

At least that's what I told myself!

I dont feel like such a loony any more :D

• Like 1

i talk to myself all the time mostly because i get lonely...and saying things out loud makes it seem more real than just thinking

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

shadow134 nice darkwatch badge....great game

Mikami, Nice L (Lawlet) Avatar. I talk to my self all the time. It helps me a lot. That is until I find a contradiction in my conversations. Then I argue. Then a third voice has to settle it.

I talk to myself all the time. I don't find it odd.

Arguing with yourself is so poetic; it's like a spiritual battle made manifest.

Lol, I'm nutty enough to find beautiful truth in this.

Nothing like having a debate in your mind of the big questions of life/spirituality/what it all means. Sometimes the exchange can be creatively compelling.

As long as you realize although different splits of character/opinion/stance are present and conversing, they're all you having the "conversation".

Hiya all,There are two men in white coats at your door,one has a straight jacket in his hand,they're coming to take you away ha ha !

• Like 1

Hiya all,There are two men in white coats at your door,one has a straight jacket in his hand,they're coming to take you away ha ha !

Ah, Dr. Deminteo.

I spent many years as a mechanical designer and engineer and I talked to myself all the time. In fact, I would go so far as to have conversations with myself because it was an effective way to trouble shoot a design. The adage of "making all the mistakes on paper" is important because at worse all you have to do is get another sheet of paper, once you make the design into steel, if it doesn't work, it's a boat anchor.

Yeah, a lot of jokes about it over the years, but my stuff worked and not everyone else could claim that.

Now mind you, had I been working on a design and was talking about killing someone or some sort of horrible thing like that then yeah, it would be time to send me to the funny farm. I still run things through like that to this day.

Edited by keninsc

I still run things through like that to this day.

Heh. I know what you mean.

The only issue comes when you doubt yourself.

"Will this work?"

"Hmm, yeah, I think it should work nicely."

"But what if (...) happens?"

"Well, I could just (...)."

"Oh, that should work. Definitely ... Definitely maybe ... Maybe ... Hmmm."

"It'll work."

:tsu:

Yep, that's me.

I talk to myself when I have several things to do and I list them out loud..SOooo they are saying it makes it easy to find something if you say it out loud?

<-------says out loud, winning lottery ticket :clap:

Edited by Princess Tumbleweed

Yeah I usually do this when performing tasks like what I've done and need to do and how I'm supposed to do it. It does help.