Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where is the Washington Cornerstone

egpi2010

Let me give you a brief history if you do not all ready know What the Cornerstone is.

In 1792, George Washington lays the cornerstone to the United States Capitol building. Yet Columbus Day, October 12, 1792 when the stone was laid, George Washington was in Philadelphia at the time.

The Charleston City Gazette :

November 15, 1792

"On Saturday the 13th inst. the first stone was laid in the south-west corner of the president's house, in the city of Washington, by the Free Masons of George-town and its vicinity, who assembled on the occasion. The procession was formed at the Fountain Inn, Georgetown...The Ceremony was performed by brother Peter Casanave, master of the lodge, who delivered an oration well adapted to the occasion."

Today it is said by some that the Cornerstone is missing. Why is it that the congressional congress has only one letter by an anonymous person witnessing to this historical event? It is said that is lies on the South West Side but there are contradictions to were it is truly located. Through the years weather and fire has taken a toll on the capitol and those who have help build it up have mostly all been masons.The interesting thing is the fact that several presidents including Harry S. Truman in 1948 who was a mason,and George Bush have searched for it. Very interesting if you ask me.

http://www.rense.com/general61/strrn.htm

Look up information on Agent 355 of the Culper Rings!!! That is super fascinating. "Lady" is the one who helped us beat the British during the American Revolution!!!

You may be talking about TWO different cornerstones. The one with all the coverage about George Washington (he's decked out in his finest Mason duds) is him laying the stone for the Capitol building. When you talk about the president's house that's what would later be known as the White House. The one for the White House may well be undiscovered; don't know.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is the fact that several presidents including Harry S. Truman in 1948 who was a mason,and George Bush have searched for it.

Dunno about Truman, but the GWB rumor may have started when his father was misquoted as saying:

"My son Georgie couldn't find his ashlar using both hands and a map."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank all very interesting

IIRC the first episode of "Brad Meltzer's Decoded" deals with this issue.

Was that a PBS show? I saw the second half of a show about them looking for the Capital Cornerstone. Maybe it was on TLC, or the Discovery Channel?

There are supposedly two stones. The public one for the Capital (Congress). And a second one for the White House, which has not been found. The idea I think is that these would be Mason corner stones, and be hollow with momentos and ceremonial stuff inside. Very "National Treasure".

I am not sure what channel the show originally aired on... I watched it on Netflix, they have the entire first season available for streaming.