Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otto von Pickelhaube

Matthew and the Genealogy of Jesus

1 post in this topic

Hello, everybody. :)

Now, I don't want to get into an argument about the existence of Jesus and so on, and I'm certainly not trying to be flippant or disrespectful, but this is just something that I've often thought about. : Now, at the beginning of Matthew's Gospel there's a long geneaology that traces the ancestry of Jesus right back to Abraham, to demonstrate that he was descended from David, right, and so is the rightful King. Now, he ends with " ... And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ ". Now, technically, as we all know, Joseph was not Jesus' father, was he? As Matthew goes straight on to say, ".. fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost". So does that make all the foregoing irrelevant, if Joseph was, if you like, Jesus' stepfather? Was the point of it to convince the people of Israel that Jesus was indeed the one they had been waiting for, and hope that they wouldn't think about it too ccarefully? Like i said, just a theological point I've wondered about.

:)