Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Getting Paid 93 Cents a Day in America?

conspiracybeliever

Nearly a million prisoners are working in call centers, working in slaughterhouses, or manufacturing textiles while getting paid somewhere between 93 cents and $4.73.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conspiracybeliever

• Euphorbia

• Leonardo

• DemosKratos

I have no problem with criminals being put to work, and what they are paid (or that they are paid) is irrelevant. They owe a debt to the society they committed a crime against, and spending a few years with free room and board does not pay that debt.

This is not licence for prisoners to be abused, but that they receive little renumeration for the work they do is not abuse in my opinion.

I have no problem with criminals being put to work, and what they are paid (or that they are paid) is irrelevant. They owe a debt to the society they committed a crime against, and spending a few years with free room and board does not pay that debt.

This is not licence for prisoners to be abused, but that they receive little renumeration for the work they do is not abuse in my opinion.

Agreed.

If they work they at least should earn enough for their keep. So 93 cents a day is just slightly off. If that was the case it would unburden the tax payer (where prisons is not a little cost factor, at least in the US). Wether they get to keep any of that money should depend on the behavior.

Meh... at least they get paid something. They're in jail to be punished for something... why should they be paid for it at all? If they can straighten up when they're released, THEN they can go get a paying job.

Don't know why they are paid at all. They are slaves and the fruits of their labour should go back to society, or at least help run the prison services. (joking)

Whatevers wrong with "prison" being a place where:

You are locked up for 22hrs per day in a cell, alone. If bored, read a book.

There's no smoking, drinking or drug-taking tolerated else it'll be 24/7 in your cell, alone.

No trade of any kind is permitted.

No visits or packages or letters from friends or family.

No access to TV, radio or newsprint.

Do your time, we kick you out and if you come back we keep you locked up until we feel like letting you go.

Does that sound too harsh?

If they work they at least should earn enough for their keep. So 93 cents a day is just slightly off. If that was the case it would unburden the tax payer (where prisons is not a little cost factor, at least in the US). Wether they get to keep any of that money should depend on the behavior.

I suppose what would be fair, would be if the employer paid the standard wage for the job direct to the State (or the Federal Govt, in the case of Federal Prisons) and the prisoner was paid by the State or Federal Govt whatever of that wage is over and above the cost of their place in prison.

As you say, it would ease the tax-payer burden.

I suppose what would be fair, would be if the employer paid the standard wage for the job direct to the State (or the Federal Govt, in the case of Federal Prisons) and the prisoner was paid by the State or Federal Govt whatever of that wage is over and above the cost of their place in prison.

As you say, it would ease the tax-payer burden.

It also erases the tax-payers jobs and gives corporations who own the prisons slave labor. You people have no problem with that? You see no relation to our courts creating crime and criminals?

It also erases the tax-payers jobs and gives corporations who own the prisons slave labor. You people have no problem with that? You see no relation to our courts creating crime and criminals?

Only if there are women and children in prison...

How much does it cost, per day, to keep someone in prison who has committed a crime, like selling drugs, assault, or larceny? How much does it cost us, the taxpayers?

The below doesn't even cover the food and housing overhead, just the supervision.

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/cost/

Cost of Supervision

for fiscal year ending June 30, 2010

Cost of Prison Incarceration

per inmate daily cost yearly cost

Minimum Custody $64.59 $23,575

Medium Custody $76.22 $27,820

Close Custody $88.39 $32,262

Average $74.34 $27,134

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2011/02/03/2011-2363/annual-determination-of-average-cost-of-incarceration

The fee to cover the average cost of incarceration for Federal inmates in Fiscal Year 2009 was $25,251. The average annual cost to confine an inmate in a Community Corrections Center for Fiscal Year 2009 was $24,758.

The Corporations owning the prisons would not own the prisoners, so it is not 'slave labour'. Those Corporations also have a duty to provide humane conditions for the prisoners they contain at their prisons. There would have to be checks in place to watch for, and prevent wherever possible, abuse, of course.

The jobs the prisoners would do would mostly be manual labour. Why not get them fruit-picking etc, which seems to be a problem employment sector in many Southern States?

There are plenty of jobs available. Not all are conveniently located for the people looking for them, and some people turn their noses up at certain types of work, but there is no shortage of jobs. I don't expect getting the prison population working will cause unemployment to rise.

I have never been locked up but I'd imagine that those who are incarcerated long term would probably prefer a job to help pass the time. A small stipend for cigarettes or candy as a reward for their labor would give them something to look forward to each week. Having an opportunity to have at least a small amount of "normalcy" in their existence is not too much to provide I think. The article almost makes the labor seem compulsory and that seems a bit suspect to me. How do you force a con to take orders or build furniture when they really don't want to? If they misbehave what can you do? Lock them up? :P

Mod Edit: Please refer to our ToS/Forum Rules

3. BehaviourPlease be civil and courteous to other members at all times.

•3a. Racism or hatred: We have zero tolerance for racism or hatred towards any specific race, religion, country, gender, individual or group.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
Removed racist comment

I have never been locked up but I'd imagine that those who are incarcerated long term would probably prefer a job to help pass the time. A small stipend for cigarettes or candy as a reward for their labor would give them something to look forward to each week. Having an opportunity to have at least a small amount of "normalcy" in their existence is not too much to provide I think. The article almost makes the labor seem compulsory and that seems a bit suspect to me. How do you force a con to take orders or build furniture when they really don't want to? If they misbehave what can you do? Lock them up? :P

this is exactly what it's all about!

prisoners are not forced to do work. it's a choice and it helps pass the time, and in some cases it helps them learn a trade that can be used once they are out. The fact that they are paid at all is actually good. They can use the money earned to purchase candy and other small things to make life a little better for them. It reinforces the idea that work leads to a better life, and it keeps them from having idle time, which in turn probably keeps them safer.

Ok, so the prisoners get paid less than a buck. I wonder how much the prison contracts them out for. ? someone´s making a shitload of money off them. No doubt the corporations are making out likr bandits. What about the prisons??

Did any one read the last page of the story ? Or any of it for that mater . This practice is not good for the country, for the economic recovery , as the past has shown. Learn from the past and don't let personal opinions of Prisons or the people in them cloud your supposed " Better Judgement".

Exactly!

It's the same in the UK

My only question is whether they should be paid anything at all (maybe the money should go to charity?)

I think that every inmate should be required to work to ease the burden on the taxpayer! I agree that the prisoners should make something to buy snacks or certain necessities, but cigarettes are illegal in the US prison system and therefor can't be purchased from the prison store (doesn't stop them from being smuggled in and sold between inmates).

I think that the inmates should grow their own food and do whatever else is possible to keep costs down. You can't necessarily force an inmate to work, but you can take certain privileges away for not complying.

I didn't read the entire article so I may have missed something, but if the corporations are truly only paying these small wages then I think that's wrong. They should pay full wages (the same as to someone not incarcerated), and the bulk going to the prison for inmate upkeep and staff wages.

Just my opinion.....

My concern would be with competing private sector jobs who don't have the luxury of 93 cent labor. Having the US taxpayer subsidize their products labor costs is hardly fair. But sadly, in todays business, the companies that can privatize the profits while socializing the costs, do the best.

The inmates shouldn't receive any compensation. Instead, their compensation should flow directly into the prisons so that taxpayers no longer have to pay billions a year for them. I agree, the issue with this and fighting with the job market is conflicting. However, if the inmates would be working to pay their way in Prison it would benefit the tax payers and economy.

Not everyone in these prisons are guilty of the crime they have been sentenced for or even committed a violent crime. They should be making some money and since its so little it all should go to help them when they are released so they won't be tempted to steal to get by.

Not everyone in these prisons are guilty of the crime they have been sentenced for or even committed a violent crime. They should be making some money and since its so little it all should go to help them when they are released so they won't be tempted to steal to get by.

Guilty or not "and 1% or less are actually not guilty" everyone should actually have to take a yearly tour of a prison and see how the prisoners live.

They can get candy bars, cable tv "for $5 a month", small flat screen tv's in their cells, California prisoners get conjugal visits and hormone treatments and sex changes. And let's not discuss the 15 to 20 different meals they get because OF RELIGION and other rights.

Oh and if CO's are doing contraband searches and something gets broken the state is required to replace the broken items with brand new items. Even if the items were old and worn out or already broken.

I could on and on and until you work in a facility it's easy to not see what prisoners truly are and that's people who need to be locked away and have their rights removed. Like felons were meant to have done.

Guilty or not "and 1% or less are actually not guilty" everyone should actually have to take a yearly tour of a prison and see how the prisoners live.

And of these 1% or less, a good percentage have been in before and/or have other crimes they have gotten away with. I have watched all of the episodes of "Lockdown" and those like it......not exactly a good time.

They can get candy bars, cable tv "for $5 a month", small flat screen tv's in their cells, California prisoners get conjugal visits and hormone treatments and sex changes. And let's not discuss the 15 to 20 different meals they get because OF RELIGION and other rights.

Oh and if CO's are doing contraband searches and something gets broken the state is required to replace the broken items with brand new items. Even if the items were old and worn out or already broken.

I could on and on and until you work in a facility it's easy to not see what prisoners truly are and that's people who need to be locked away and have their rights removed. Like felons were meant to have done.

Yes, there are many things prisoners should not have access to, but, if you take away all of their rights and privileges, they have nothing to lose. A person with nothing to lose is harder to control. Isolation in a segregation unit with a life term and no privileges can drive a person insane. You have to give them something so you have something to take away if they get out of line in prison.

They get a LOT more then THAT.

They may not like where they are, but they did the crime and they get 24/7 housing from bad weather, while many pple out there who did nothing wrong are going homeless.

they may not like what they have for meals, but they get three meals a day probably a snack or two as well, while many pple out there are working 40+ hours a week, and barely able to afford food because everything costs so high.

they may not be happy with what they did, but they did the crime and still get medical care, while i worry myself sick bout my medication costing almost 300 a month right now and i barely am able to keep rent paid.

i worry bout clothing, rent, food, electricity, cell phone (and believe me i pay cheap phone service, 35 a month), keeping our old car running with repairs and gas so i can get back and forth to work.

Sure i have older children to help me, but they need food/rent/utlities i need..

They do the crime, and many can still get a decent education, how much do we have to pay for ours?

i have no problems with them working.

I think that every inmate should be required to work to ease the burden on the taxpayer! I agree that the prisoners should make something to buy snacks or certain necessities, but cigarettes are illegal in the US prison system and therefor can't be purchased from the prison store (doesn't stop them from being smuggled in and sold between inmates).

I think that the inmates should grow their own food and do whatever else is possible to keep costs down. You can't necessarily force an inmate to work, but you can take certain privileges away for not complying.

I didn't read the entire article so I may have missed something, but if the corporations are truly only paying these small wages then I think that's wrong. They should pay full wages (the same as to someone not incarcerated), and the bulk going to the prison for inmate upkeep and staff wages.

Just my opinion.....

It's common in south Alabama for prisoners to be farmers for growing part of what they eat. And trust me, farming in the summer in Alabama is miserable from the heat. The labor not only feeds them, it reduces their energy levels for mischief they might otherwise be doing. They are not physically compelled any longer to be part of these crews but they pay a price for not helping if they are physically able to help.

I would like to know where you people get the 1% and if this is known they must know who is not guilty so why don't they let them out? You people have no idea how many of those people are guilty. You have no idea if the crimes they were accused of in the past they were guilty of. And you don't care. It's all sick trashy entertainment. From my own personal experience I think the criminals are out here not in the prisons. It's a business. Do you honestly think they are going to lock up criminals and hurt their business? You think the states are going to stop their welfare check? That welfare check that is coming out of our pockets? And you know what? From my own personal experiences the people who are most into this sick form of entertainment are the real criminals. They love to watch it and talk about it and cheer it on. I think it's the psychopath in them.