Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum update progress

Saru

Just noticed that # of replies (in a thread listing prior to entering the actual thread) per thread not subforum only shows when logged in, otherwise only # of views shows.

Is this a performance design choice, entice-user-to-go-into-thread design choice, just an arbitrary design choice & part of update, or none of the mentioned? I seem to remember that prior to the update, both # of replies & # of views showed whether logged in or not.

Cheers

Guardian

Hey mods - I love the new forum layout, and especially the advent of tagging posts. That's going to make searches much easier. My one question is whether or not there is going to be a more mobile friendly site?

I like to access UM on my cell phone (a blackberry) and with the new layout it takes me automatically to the last page of each topic... which would be fine if it was a one page topic. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just noticed that # of replies (in a thread listing prior to entering the actual thread) per thread not subforum only shows when logged in, otherwise only # of views shows. Is this a performance design choice, entice-user-to-go-into-thread design choice, just an arbitrary design choice & part of update, or none of the mentioned?

Well spotted,i wasn't aware of that - this is another bug that i'll need to look in to.

Hey mods - I love the new forum layout, and especially the advent of tagging posts. That's going to make searches much easier. My one question is whether or not there is going to be a more mobile friendly site? I like to access UM on my cell phone (a blackberry) and with the new layout it takes me automatically to the last page of each topic... which would be fine if it was a one page topic. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

Are you using the mobile skin or the regular one ? ( See the "change theme" menu at the bottom left )

Update:

• Implemented a performance improvement when loading forum sections, these should now load almost instantly.
  • The "view new content" and forum search facilities should also benefit from this change.

Just one little suggestion: can it be implemented that you return to the post you are answering to instead of to the end of the thread? Or better yet, that you can choose whether you want to go to the end or back to the post you are answering?

No because generally the first thing people want to see when they make a post is the post they just made to make sure it's ok.

Also, the forum software doesn't support any mechanism to automatically return to a specific post being quoted in your response. What you can do though is click the quote link in the post you just made for that particular quote and it will take you there.

No because generally the first thing people want to see when they make a post is the post they just made to make sure it's ok.

Also, the forum software doesn't support any mechanism to automatically return to a specific post being quoted in your response. What you can do though is click the quote link in the post you just made for that particular quote and it will take you there.

Thanks, I know the workaround... but that clicking the back button is precisely what I wanted shortcut...

Well, here are my complaints...

None. :tu:

Works ok, looks nicer, have noticed a few improvements, speed is quicker (slightly) on my (slow) connection - all in all I think you have done a dam fine job! My experience with upgrades at other forums has been less than satisfying at times...

And you even timed the changeover for when I was asleep - thanks!

Hey...I came around to check out the site upgrade, after my brief sabbatical from the forums. It's looking good and the layout is spectacular, but site downloading time is slower for me. I'm wondering anyone else wasn't able to view the site and leave a post caused by the upgrade and other changes may not go well for certain PC's or net serves might be causing it.

Hey...I came around to check out the site upgrade, after my brief sabbatical from the forums. It's looking good and the layout is spectacular, but site downloading time is slower for me. I'm wondering anyone else wasn't able to view the site and leave a post caused by the upgrade and other changes may not go well for certain PC's or net serves might be causing it.

I've been having a really hard time getting on at work. And when I was able to get on I couldn't post for a couple days. It seems to be getting better day by day but I still haven't gotten any email notifications since the upgrade. I don't know if anyone has addressed that issue. I haven't gone through this entire thread. It looks great and I think it's going to be really nice once all the bugs get worked out.

What I usually do is right click the quote button of the post I'm quoting and click to open in a new tab. Then I still have a tab open to the post I was quoting AND a tab open to the new post I made.

It says I have I have one "like" preference, on my profile...but I can't figure out how to see who that is, or how to respond? Help!

I wonder if my problem getting on the forum after the upgrade was that I was using a link from and email from before the upgrade. Since I've opened a new tab and came onto the forum through search it seems to be working great. A lot faster than it used to be.

It says I have I have one "like" preference, on my profile...but I can't figure out how to see who that is, or how to respond? Help!

If you go to your profile on the left it says likes. Click it and it'll show you the posts you've liked. There is also a tab for received. That'll tell you what posts you made that were liked and who liked them.

My apologies if this is not what you were talking about and its probably not my place to respond...I've just become quite the fan of the like button.

One thing I have noticed is that the indication of whether you've posted in a particular thread seems to have gone. That was useful, since I don't subscribe to threads or anything like that.

Noted a bug: when you edit you return to the first post of the thread.

Noted a bug: when you edit you return to the first post of the thread.

I noticed that too, drove me crazy.

Update:

• The number of replies are now visible again to users who aren't logged in.

Spell checker in Firefox issue:

If you are using Firefox and the browser's spell checker is not working when you are writing a post then the following should fix it:

1. Right-click within the editor
  2. Select "Languages" and select "English / United States" or your preferred language
  3. Make sure "Check spelling" is also checked

Usually this is done automatically however in some modern versions of Firefox this needs to be explicitly selected when using certain editors, once you have done this once you shouldn't need to do it again to keep the spell checker functioning on this site.

Thanks for that about the Firefox spellcheck, it's working for me now :tu:

About the "edit" button, I'm having the same problem as mentioned just above - when an edit is submitted the next screen goes back to the first post on page 1. Any way to fix this so that it goes back to the edited post itself?

Edited by Paranoid Android

BUG: Every time I try to reply in the quick reply box, the cursor randomly jumps to the beginning of the line, mid-sentence. Its quite frustrating.

Hey where is the rich text editor? Am I missing something or is it because I'm on an iPad?

Also on a thread it just said 27 users reading, including 3 members 2 guests. And one guest has been Facebook on every thread all night.

One thing I have noticed is that the indication of whether you've posted in a particular thread seems to have gone. That was useful, since I don't subscribe to threads or anything like that.

Any news on this yet? It's very difficult to remember which threads you've posted in if you don't Subscribe to them.

* Also, when you try to insert links, e.g. how you could have a word underlined that would take you to the link, it doesn't seem to do that now, and goes like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Law_of_One"] like that [/url]

There was one thing I liked in the other format and seemed to have disappear in this one. When I went to my content, I would click on the link where I posted and it took me directly to my post. In this format I have to check all the pages until I find the said post and start reading again. Sorry if this was already mention in which please discard. Otherwise I really love the new format.

Any news on this yet? It's very difficult to remember which threads you've posted in if you don't Subscribe to them.

There's a thread about this one here - http://www.unexplain...howtopic=226413

Hey where is the rich text editor? Am I missing something or is it because I'm on an iPad?

Also on a thread it just said 27 users reading, including 3 members 2 guests. And one guest has been Facebook on every thread all night.

The bots in the users list is a bug, also the rich text editor won't work on an iPad.

• The topic was locked