Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum update progress

Saru

Hi, Previously on your profile page there was a box on the right hand side which had links to status updates belonging to others that you had commented on. I cant seem to find a way to view what status's i have commented on except by going through the whole list of updates. Is there a quicker and easier way that i have missed? Like the new look so far by the way :)

• Like 1

I cant seem to find a way to view what status's i have commented on except by going through the whole list of updates. Is there a quicker and easier way that i have missed?

I don't believe so unfortunately, the profile feed is intended to be the new central hub for all status related information.

Another thing I'm mildly sad about is that there's only room for about 5 status updates now, so they can drop off the bottom rather quickly. I don't know whether the birthdays could be moved down a bit?

Another thing I'm mildly sad about is that there's only room for about 5 status updates now, so they can drop off the bottom rather quickly.

There is actually supposed to be 10 but it defaulted back to 5 for some reason, that's it now set to 10 again.

Thanks for looking into the chat issue saru. Much appreciated. :tu:

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Hey saru another query into the mobile version. Is there anyway to put a drop box for emoticons? I've been memorizing the key strokes for my favorites so its not important. We've never had them so I'm not missing them or anything...

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

there's something naff with the QUOTE function

Can you be a little more specific about what you've experienced? In fact, if you can point to a specific post where you've had the problem it might help to understand exactly what happened.

Updates:

• Fixed javascript error in IE
  • Fixed emoticons not showing up in old posts
  • Fixed issue with incorrect online users count in threads

Hey saru another query into the mobile version. Is there anyway to put a drop box for emoticons? I've been memorizing the key strokes for my favorites so its not important. We've never had them so I'm not missing them or anything...

The mobile version is designed to be as basic as possible to improve compatibility so we can't really add any features like that.

Update:

In-line post editing is now available again, meaning you can edit your post without having to move off the page. This fix also solves the issue that was being reported in which editing a post that was made via the quick reply box was returning people to the first page of a thread all the time.

Update:

• The image and comment statistics on the image gallery categories are now updating again.

I got another suggestion: how about a autorefresh function on the forum index? That way you could see at a glance if something is happening and really is pretty easy to program.

• Like 1

I got another suggestion: how about a autorefresh function on the forum index? That way you could see at a glance if something is happening and really is pretty easy to program.

Auto refreshing web pages are generally a bad idea except in a few special circumstances like live blogs, webcasts etc.

Like system

We've had a few requests for this and it's finally coming - members will have the option to 'like' individual forum posts which gives you the opportunity to give a post the thumbs up without needing to post a direct response. The total number of 'likes' your posts receive is also counted up and displayed in your profile, a new tab will be available to view all the 'likes' you have given or received and on which posts. It is not possible to negatively rate a post which means that this system is reserved purely for giving recognition to quality posts and contributions.

No punishments only awards. Now thats the system.

All,

I do not know if it is just me, but I have the problem that when I reply (quote) to a post, it pops up in the small reply window in the bottom which kinda makes me lose the overview and also when I paste something in said window it automatically puts me in the bottom of my reply so I have to scroll up again to continue writing. Am I the only poor soul having this issue?

Just for information, I am using W7 and Chrome (mostly).

Cheers,

Badeskov

I have the same issue Bade, but I just click the More Reply Options button and it turns into a normally sized reply window. I do agree that it would be better to not have to do this though.

Anyone can view another member's likes on their profile page, however remember it's a person's posts that receive likes rather than the member themselves - it isn't their profile that is being liked but their contributions to the forums.

But contribution is not what people like. People click "like" for many reasons like jokes, humoristic posts, shared view and so on. Followed thread is maybe sign of someone contribution, although one can have quality posts but never start a thread. Its democratic but isnt sign of contribution, imo.

Lets put it this way. Saru is smart and ten others are stupid. Someone say lets make a house on water, 9 stupid agrees only Saru say: No its wrong. People votes (in this case likes) and house is built on water. Mob rules. Its okay just saying imo cant be sign of contribution.

One can be amusing and have countless likes but thats not why Im here.

People click "like" for many reasons like jokes, humoristic posts, shared view and so on.

I don't understand how these things AREN'T contributions. There are many ways to contribute to the site.

• Like 1

But contribution is not what people like. People click "like" for many reasons like jokes, humoristic posts, shared view and so on. Followed thread is maybe sign of someone contribution, although one can have quality posts but never start a thread. Its democratic but isnt sign of contribution, imo.

Lets put it this way. Saru is smart and ten others are stupid. Someone say lets make a house on water, 9 stupid agrees only Saru say: No its wrong. People votes (in this case likes) and house is built on water. Mob rules. Its okay just saying imo cant be sign of contribution.

One can be amusing and have countless likes but thats not why Im here.

Well people have the right to make jokes, and people have the right to like other members' jokes if they want to, nothing wrong with that. The "like" button is there for all kind of posts, not just the serious ones, and that's a good thing. Humor has always been a huge part of UM, way for people to know each other better and a way to share feelings toward a certain topic. Nothing wrong with that.

Humor contribute to this forum by making it more enjoyable, making friend, in other words building this community. :yes:

Edited by JonathanVonErich
  • Like 3

Nothing wrong with humor personally I like it just I can join in any other forum and have fun. Im not saying that humor isnt welcome here. But likes imo dont mean anything. There are people with poor social skills and with high IQ and brilliant mind.

Its a sign of good social skills. Im sure that some people wich I think are PR in real life here will have countless likes. Anyway, just my thought.

I simply don't understand your objections. What you seem to be saying is that because some people will make more popular posts they will receive more likes. But isn't that the point?

If a member makes posts which a lot of people agree with, or enjoy what is the problem? The alternative is people making posts which just say "I agree" Surely the "like" option is an improvement on that.

Having said that, no one can force you to like the "like" system. My advice would be if you don't like it, simply ignore it.

I simply don't understand your objections. What you seem to be saying is that because some people will make more popular posts they will receive more likes. But isn't that the point?

If a member makes posts which a lot of people agree with, or enjoy what is the problem? The alternative is people making posts which just say "I agree" Surely the "like" option is an improvement on that.

Having said that, no one can force you to like the "like" system. My advice would be if you don't like it, simply ignore it.

No mister, I like like button. Im saying that in my opinion it isnt sign of contribution to the site. Its sign of great social skills. One could have great posts and not being noticed by mass.

• The topic was locked