Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy, 9, says stray bullet missed him because

Still Waters

Free will?

If God exists and judges us on our choices, what's the point in living if He'll interfere with our choices?

Isn't this the same god who hardened the Pharaoh's heart?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left-Field

• Euphorbia

• Rlyeh

• Beckys_Mom

Not everyone uses selective reasoning. I may want to believe people are good, but the evidence shows different. That becomes not selective reasoning, that becomes acceptance of evidence. I have no bias which is why I'm a scientist. I accept only what can be proven, and adjust it when evidence changes and evolves. That is not selective. So am I the exception? Doubtful.

The criteria is that one is based on scientific evidence, the other on fantasy that has no evidence whatsoever in a story riddled with plot holes and contradictions. It will always be better to base ones viewpoint on what can be proven then something which has no proof. You know there are people today that have formed a religion based on star wars the force, and perhaps in 2000 years people will think it is real based on fantasy books. :rofl:

But how many of the things you accept as fact have you personally tested and found to be true? My point is that everyone has to trust someone to be reliable or we'd all have to work out everything for ourselves. You select only evidence that comes from what you feel to be reliable sources. So do people who believe the Bible or even that Star Wars is real. The only difference is who they have decided is reliable.

Isn't this the same god who hardened the Pharaoh's heart?

Depends who you ask.

It was his Guardian Angel. We all have them.

In the end though, God saves all of those who believe in Him. So in that regard those that die of unfortunate circumstances here on Earth are still very much alive.

Is this because you know for a fact that many believers have tragically been killed on earth over time, and you cannot explain why they were saved on earth like this kid in the OP <-- Just asking

I fully understand and respect your belief.- ...Can I ask you why not the non believers? You only mention those who beleive?... I personally believe God saves all and takes all in the end.. and anything that happens, will be Gods decision...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

If God had something special in mind for this kid, wouldn't he want him in Heaven sooner? I'm calling sorcery on this one.

If God had something special in mind for this kid, wouldn't he want him in Heaven sooner? I'm calling sorcery on this one.

That is a tricky one... Because we know for a fact many little children alike have been taken from this world very early....I do not think there is a believer in God who can seriously give you a straight forward reply to that ...Without inserting a belief of their own..

We could ask... - Are our paths truly chosen?..........If so...Why are so many little children who beleive n God and God is special to them too and there are little children who do not understand God as yet, they are too young...So ....Those who are - Raped / killed... shot dead, knifed to death,... beaten to death... poisoned to death .fell very ill and not treated.....left to starve to death and so on.. all suffering in their short little lives....Was their path truly made out for them by God? If so, what would be Gods reasoning? I believe this is a tricky think to ask...and I do not beleive anyone can truly give a real answer to that... Without sticking in a personal belief

Edited by Beckys_Mom

This lad must be somebody really special to warrant God's personal intervention. Even Pope John Paul II only got Our Lady of Fatima in 1981!

What evidence do you have to support this claim?

They must have been on lunch break when a few hijacked planes flew into buildings. Edited by Rlyeh

Is this because you know for a fact that many believers have tragically been killed on earth over time, and you cannot explain why they were saved on earth like this kid in the OP <-- Just asking

I'm assuming you meant "weren't" rather than "were."

To answer your question though, no, that is not the reason why I said, "God saves all of those that believe in Him." I made that statement based upon what the Bible tells us.

I fully understand and respect your belief.- ...Can I ask you why not the non believers? You only mention those who beleive?... I personally believe God saves all and takes all in the end.. and anything that happens, will be Gods decision...

I will not say that God doesn't save all of mankind because I am not familiar enough with the Bible to claim that He won't. I do know that He will definately save those who do believe in Him, however.

I think the title should have read; "Boy, 9, has been brainwashed by Chistian parents into beleiving God saved him".

Jay Mark

I think the title should have read; "Boy, 9, has been brainwashed by Chistian parents into beleiving God saved him".

On what basis do you say this? The boy never said anything about being saved, much less saved by God. The headline writer in the version of the story Still Waters posted made it up. The boy said nothing about moving until after he felt the impact, not before. The Huffington Post writer made that up, too.

Do you have any evidence that the boy's parents are even Chrsitians? Christ isn't mentioned anywhere, not even in the phoney-baloney version of the story that the Huffington Post cooked up.

If you have some evidence of child abuse, then I'll be happy to give you the email of a Massachusetts juvenile services case worker in PM.

The Bible, being the word of God, gives us answers to some, and maybe even all, of what you stated above. It does not, however, explain to us why God would allow the life of one person on Earth to be extended and not the life of another - at least not to the detailed extent I believe some are looking for.

You do realize that the bible was written by men......not god......and that the writings of some men, and all of the writings that women tried to contribute were refused entry into the bible? I have never actually read the entire bible and I know that I never will, as there is too much violence and too many orders to do this and not do that............and certainly not enough love and forgiveness mentioned within it's covers. I don't believe that the bible answers any of the questions that I have of this world and this life that I have.

I have nothing against anyone that believes in god and if that belief works for you......then great......I just have never felt the presence of any god within me, and so the bible is meaningless to me......

In the end though, God saves all of those who believe in Him. So in that regard those that die of unfortunate circumstances here on Earth are still very much alive.

That's another belief that I have never understood. If god actually exists, why do I have to believe in him? What is the importance to god in having mankind believe in him......especially when he refuses to reveal himself? Why would he create me knowing I would never believe? And then send me to hell for not believing? I'm not saying that's your view, but it is the view of a lot of Christians. Why is your god so elusive?

Life happens......death happens.....to all of us. This boy just had a very, very, near miss, one that he will remember for the rest of his life. I see no reason to believe there was any intervention.......

Jay Mark

Yes?

On what basis do you say this? The boy never said anything about being saved, much less saved by God. The headline writer in the version of the story Still Waters posted made it up. The boy said nothing about moving until after he felt the impact, not before. The Huffington Post writer made that up, too.

Do you have any evidence that the boy's parents are even Chrsitians? Christ isn't mentioned anywhere, not even in the phoney-baloney version of the story that the Huffington Post cooked up.

If you have some evidence of child abuse, then I'll be happy to give you the email of a Massachusetts juvenile services case worker in PM.

The article is what basis I have. I was commenting the OP and this particular article. I'm not going to research every article here to try to figure out how true and accurate it is unless it is a matter that I am really interested in. And I had absolutely no way of knowing it was made-up just from it alone.

Besides, it was sarcastic. I thought it was obvious. I am sorry that it might have offended you. That was not my intention. I still think it's a good one. :lol:

Peace.

Edited by JayMark

I certainly don't understand why God chooses one life to extend and allows another to be "cut short". But I think perhaps it's because the length of a human life from His perspective is incredibly brief and no matter how much pain we may suffer in this body, it is completely forgotten once we are resurrected. This is my idea only. No scripture to back it up. As to the OP, if he thinks it might have been God then I see no problem even if it wasn't. I look on faith as a positive force in our lives. The only exception I can think of to this is people who withold medical treatment while hoping for a miracle cure.

I certainly don't understand why God chooses one life to extend and allows another to be "cut short". But I think perhaps it's because the length of a human life from His perspective is incredibly brief and no matter how much pain we may suffer in this body, it is completely forgotten once we are resurrected.

Of course life is brief, especially in comparison to astronomical terms. You would think that, given the fact that our lives are so brief, he would allow us to live them for what limited time we have, instead of cutting it short. It doesn't make sense to me as to why he would, for example, allow a bus full of children burn, killing them all, yet allow an individual with no chance of leading a normal life (ie. one in a vegetative state) to live. Why would he allow a serial rapist to survive, while allowing his victim to die? He works in mysterious ways. He seems to be a pretty sadistic SOB, if you ask me.

This is my idea only. No scripture to back it up. As to the OP, if he thinks it might have been God then I see no problem even if it wasn't. I look on faith as a positive force in our lives. The only exception I can think of to this is people who withold medical treatment while hoping for a miracle cure.

It's a ridiculous, fact-less idea. Gods do not exist. They are fun to think about as fairy tales and myth, however, their existence is equivalent to that of unicorns - null.

Cheers.

I do know that He will definately save those who do believe in Him, however.

On my own behalf - I personally cannot make that assumption...If I am to be most honest and speak about facts and not just a belief I hold I would say - I do not know what God will do, and I do not beleive anyone does.. There is more to it than just holding a belief in God.. It is how you lead your life.. A believer in God can hold the belief ok, but lead a life of evil and do wrong...just like anyone else... But I cannot know what God will do...I believe that God will be he only decider .. The simple truth to it all is, we all will not know until we die...So until then we each will carry our own beliefs..

You do realize that the bible was written by men......not god......and that the writings of some men, and all of the writings that women tried to contribute were refused entry into the bible? I have never actually read the entire bible and I know that I never will, as there is too much violence and too many orders to do this and not do that............and certainly not enough love and forgiveness mentioned within it's covers. I don't believe that the bible answers any of the questions that I have of this world and this life that I have.

I have nothing against anyone that believes in god and if that belief works for you......then great......I just have never felt the presence of any god within me, and so the bible is meaningless to me......

I fully understand all you have aid and I agree with you.. The bible to me is just a mater of adopting another mans personal belief and his personal experiences.. And we all know many believers over time have claimed to have had various godly experiences too.. I cannot adopt to them and take them as Gods word... I beleive that if one is to follow God,then do it themselves and not link themselves on to another mans beliefs and experiences.. To me that is taking a short cut ...The bible is meaningless to me too...

To sum up - if you do not have any feelings of God around you, then it is understandable and logical not to hold the belief...

But if you do feel God around you, then why allow yourself to adopt another mans personal experience when you know there are so many ..Why not go at it alone? That's my motto...Its one i will firmly stand by too

That's another belief that I have never understood. If god actually exists, why do I have to believe in him?

You don't... because like you said before, It was written by a mere man who assumed that we all need to follow and worship..So to add - It is only a matter of taking the word of humans.. We have nothing to tell us it really came from God.. Hence why it is called blind faith.. Just take their word for it? Or not... I chose not to.. Because I do not believe God is that needy or demanding, I beleive mankind is ...I am glad I can think and act for myself ..Pretty much like you do and millions like you

Edited by Beckys_Mom

God himself would never do that ...but perhaps an angel would hence the "Guardian angel" quote or maybe superman was there for you, we'll never know

Of course life is brief, especially in comparison to astronomical terms. You would think that, given the fact that our lives are so brief, he would allow us to live them for what limited time we have, instead of cutting it short. It doesn't make sense to me as to why he would, for example, allow a bus full of children burn, killing them all, yet allow an individual with no chance of leading a normal life (ie. one in a vegetative state) to live. Why would he allow a serial rapist to survive, while allowing his victim to die? He works in mysterious ways. He seems to be a pretty sadistic SOB, if you ask me.

It's a ridiculous, fact-less idea. Gods do not exist. They are fun to think about as fairy tales and myth, however, their existence is equivalent to that of unicorns - null.

Cheers.

You're certainly not alone in that opinion. But for those of us who do believe(simple minded lot that we are) we also wonder about what seems to be these inconsistencies and injustices. I've often thought that we all have some purpose for which we were born into the world and when that is accomplished we step out of one dimension and into another. Perhaps the entire purpose of some lives is to effect change in another and it can be accomplished in the death of a child. For those who have no faith in an afterlife I agree that cutting this physical sojourn short seems incredibly cruel and capricious but taken in the scale of eternity it's hardly worth a tear. But ranting and raving for or against a Deity is pointless so as you say....cheers!

God himself would never do that ...but perhaps an angel would hence the "Guardian angel" quote or maybe superman was there for you, we'll never know

If he can burn images of Jesus and Mary on toast, why not?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...