Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A deepening of faith

markdohle

A deepening of faith

To fear new input that can change one belief system, especially if it make it deeper and broader, can be frightening and many turn from this. Anxiety is normal when a world view is being challenged and moved around a bit....by being patient things will settle. No need to react, just let things sink in. Our faith needs to deepen as we age. One way for it to deepen is to understand how little we actually know. This can take us deeper into our faith and help us to embrace a deeper trust in God's presence and love. Those who fear doubt, or a deepening of their faith, can come across as angry and rigid, which I believe is a fear of ones own doubt. Doubt is a normal part of faith. We either study and ponder, or we just walk away. To ponder is the way to enrich ones life and the lives of others.

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 1

Well said

The fearing of God is the "beginning of wisdom". That's why questioning God and being mad at God is not deemed as a sin, because he wants you to turn to him in times of need and lay everything upon him (funny how this happens when there is a natural disaster or a terrorist attack such as 9/11). Jesus himself upon the cross said "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" God is loving and all encompassing, he wants you to spend eternity with him!

The fearing of God is the "beginning of wisdom". That's why questioning God and being mad at God is not deemed as a sin, because he wants you to turn to him in times of need and lay everything upon him (funny how this happens when there is a natural disaster or a terrorist attack such as 9/11). Jesus himself upon the cross said "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" God is loving and all encompassing, he wants you to spend eternity with him!

All I can say is AMEN!

Peace

mark

Maybe we study and ponder and still walk away...

Maybe we study and ponder and still walk away...

Of course, those who do that are free. It is aburd to think that everyone will come to the same conclusion after they study anykind of problem. What works for some does not for others. Bottome line, we choose. Even my being an agnostic is in some ways a choice not to choose, which is a choice none the less.

doug

One of the main differences between most people and Jesus is that Jesus directly experienced God(?), way before he was crucified and practically throughout his life. Apparently, Jesus was made a vessel of "that" power; he accepted the task and its consequences. He was baptized, after all, and suddenly "...the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon him..."

Before Jesus' actual death, he completely surrendered his free will to God...perhaps in order to become truly one with God(?). "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

I agree: calamities sometimes make some people seek higher, otherworldly power; however, Jesus' experience is not the same. Many people court God(?), try to be on His good side...without actually making a direct in-yer-face contact. Many people court God(?) to gain things. Vessels, on the other hand, serve God by serving the world and try to surrender to His moment-to-moment will, consciously. "Thy will be done..."

One of the main differences between most people and Jesus is that Jesus directly experienced God(?), way before he was crucified and practically throughout his life. Apparently, Jesus was made a vessel of "that" power; he accepted the task and its consequences. He was baptized, after all, and suddenly "...the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon him..."

Before Jesus' actual death, he completely surrendered his free will to God...perhaps in order to become truly one with God(?). "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

I agree: calamities sometimes make some people seek higher, otherworldly power; however, Jesus' experience is not the same. Many people court God(?), try to be on His good side...without actually making a direct in-yer-face contact. Many people court God(?) to gain things. Vessels, on the other hand, serve God by serving the world and try to surrender to His moment-to-moment will, consciously. "Thy will be done..."

Thank you for sharing, good thoughts my friend. I will continue to ponder what you have said.

peace

mark

During the month of January, I'll be sharing several tips to help you get off to a strong start this New Year. Each tip offers a simple yet profound way to deepen your Christian walk of faith.

• elders, house group leaders and emerging leaders in churches
  • those who are thinking about the possibility of studying at Bible college and who want to know more before they commit themselves
  • thinking Christians who want to go deeper in their faith and to improve their understanding of the Bible and theology.

Looking forward to what you have to say.

peace

mark

A deepening of faith

To fear new input that can change one belief system, especially if it make it deeper and broader, can be frightening and many turn from this. Anxiety is normal when a world view is being challenged and moved around a bit....by being patient things will settle. No need to react, just let things sink in. Our faith needs to deepen as we age. One way for it to deepen is to understand how little we actually know. This can take us deeper into our faith and help us to embrace a deeper trust in God's presence and love. Those who fear doubt, or a deepening of their faith, can come across as angry and rigid, which I believe is a fear of ones own doubt. Doubt is a normal part of faith. We either study and ponder, or we just walk away. To ponder is the way to enrich ones life and the lives of others.

"fear of ones own doubt"

I llove this part. There is seriouse self reflection in those words.

I have often and counciled to ignore a part of yourself that you may not like is to give it power. Evil deeds come from those who ignore their own darkness.

Shedding light on the underlining things that we tend to hide from is the only way to overcome them.

Well said my friend.

"fear of ones own doubt"

I llove this part. There is seriouse self reflection in those words.

I have often and counciled to ignore a part of yourself that you may not like is to give it power. Evil deeds come from those who ignore their own darkness.

Shedding light on the underlining things that we tend to hide from is the only way to overcome them.

Well said my friend.

Thank you my friend.

peace

mark