Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog microchips 'to be compulsory' in England

Still Waters

Compulsory microchips for dogs are to be introduced in England, under plans expected to be announced on Monday.

Ministers are expected to say that every newborn puppy should be microchipped to make it easier to trace and prosecute owners of violent dogs.

But critics of the plan question its effectiveness and the potential cost of the move.

Earlier this month Northern Ireland became the first part of the UK to introduce a law on microchipping.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• Insaniac

• Imaginarynumber1

• and-then

bull****. They're just doing this to subtly introduce you to the implementation of RFID chips. They start on animals to get you used to the idea that it's normal, and then they work their way up to people.

Since when has the Government given a s**t about you or your dog?

I think that when the time comes for chipping or similar technology to be required by governments it will be readily accepted by a majority. The rest will have sanctions imposed until they have to comply. I wonder what ever happened to the attitude of "Live free or die"?

Good.

We do it here in Oz, it means that when pets go walking they can be returned to their owners.

Good.

We do it here in Oz, it means that when pets go walking they can be returned to their owners.

Both my dogs were chipped for that reason. But it's the "compulsory " part that annoys me. It always starts as attempt to do good, yes? Would it bother you to be told by your government that you must be similarly identified, say, for your own health and safety? Sorry, I was helping to go off topic. :lol:

I don't see why anyone is making the jump from dogs to people. I had two cats chipped and one was returned when he ran off when I was moving. It's a useful tech.

Snakes over 4 ft also have to be chipped here in my state. That was made law almost 10 years ago and I still don't see them chipping people.

bull****. They're just doing this to subtly introduce you to the implementation of RFID chips. They start on animals to get you used to the idea that it's normal, and then they work their way up to people.

Since when has the Government given a s**t about you or your dog?

I'm sure they'll still let you wear your dog collar.

Yet another brilliant idea from the Coalition! They're full of them, aren't they. Shall we try to think this through: what the Government likes to call "responsible Dog owners" will probably have done this already, voluntarily. Those who are less Responsible or don't want to have yet something else imposed on them probably won't do. Therefore, any Stray or Rogue dog that might be rounded up will probably not have one. How could it be enforced that every single Dog does have one? Would Dog Wardens be given authority to carry round a scanning device and inspect every single Dog they come across? Yes, that sounds feasible, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

I don't see why anyone is making the jump from dogs to people. I had two cats chipped and one was returned when he ran off when I was moving. It's a useful tech.

Snakes over 4 ft also have to be chipped here in my state. That was made law almost 10 years ago and I still don't see them chipping people.

Where does one put a chip on a Snake? They don't have ears, do they; do they have to wear Collars? :unsure2:

Where does one put a chip on a Snake? They don't have ears, do they; do they have to wear Collars? :unsure2:

It's a small chip that goes under their skin, just like the ones for dogs and cats.

It's cheap, too. I think it cost me around $25 when I had it done years ago when I had my snake.

I guess I can see the logic in this, but unfortunately just because something is compulsory does not mean all owners will follow the law.

In fact, I would say that this is just another case where our current day offenders will be indirectly draining more cash from genuine dog owners.

So... they're moving from mandatory dogtags to microschips.

I note that when the had compulsory dog tags they didn't immediately to forcing people to wear dog tags.

Chip implants linked to animal tumors

WA Post article

So when you beloved pet gets cancer will the authorities pay your vet bills?

Exactly. Thanks for the link.

Like I said, since when has Government ever given a rats **** about you or your pets?

My dog is chipped (shows he is vaccinated etc) in Spain. What is the big deal? I can now take him to the UK on holiday, without the aweful 6months of quarantine.

I really do not believe the hype about a pet getting a cancerous growth as a result. Sorry , need to show some real evidence...

My dog is chipped (shows he is vaccinated etc) in Spain. What is the big deal? I can now take him to the UK on holiday, without the aweful 6months of quarantine.

I really do not believe the hype about a pet getting a cancerous growth as a result. Sorry , need to show some real evidence...

It is too soon to judge, but even animals of mine that have had a chip for the better part of the last 7 years so far have not shown any complications, and the first generation chips were much bigger than the ones used now.

As to chipping itself, one has to remember that the initiative comes from animal welfare activists, and the reason was to be able to identify owners of mistreated and abandoned animals.