Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I'm Dead-Set on Immigrating to Ireland

Miss Shadows

I'm

a young-adult currently residing in Western continental America, and I've known for a few years now that I am passionately determined to immigrate to Ireland. I am in the process of doing my research as far as what I'd need to have and need to do, but if anyone cares to offer legitimate information or advice, it'd be so much appreciated.

From

what I understand the economy is really suffering there right now, and for one thing I'd like to know if anyone thinks that it'd be possible to get a job, or even two jobs, in Ireland's current economic climate. Why, or why not? And if no, can anyone give me their best educated guess as to when things might improve enough to make immigrating and attaining a job more possible? Again, if you could explain how you arrived at your conclusion, I'd be very thankful.

Aside

from that, is there anything practical or mechanical, or anything in between that I should know? I'm sure anything you could spare a minute or two to tell me would be a lot of help, and definitely needed. Thanks a bunch to anyone who helps, and feel free to PM me.

I'm

a young-adult currently residing in Western continental America, and I've known for a few years now that I am passionately determined to immigrate to Ireland. I am in the process of doing my research as far as what I'd need to have and need to do, but if anyone cares to offer legitimate information or advice, it'd be so much appreciated.

From

what I understand the economy is really suffering there right now, and for one thing I'd like to know if anyone thinks that it'd be possible to get a job, or even two jobs, in Ireland's current economic climate. Why, or why not? And if no, can anyone give me their best educated guess as to when things might improve enough to make immigrating and attaining a job more possible? Again, if you could explain how you arrived at your conclusion, I'd be very thankful.

Aside

from that, is there anything practical or mechanical, or anything in between that I should know? I'm sure anything you could spare a minute or two to tell me would be a lot of help, and definitely needed. Thanks a bunch to anyone who helps, and feel free to PM me.

Why would you like to move to Ireland and what do you expect to find?

I live in England and have had a few friends move to Ireland (Three whole families). One friend moved over and said it was easy to get a job, if you didn't mind getting your hands dirty. One small thing they have all pointed out, is the Irish are friendly and happy to meet new people, but when they realize your staying they become a little cold. They don't mind visitors, but if you're there for good, it takes a little time for people to get use to the fact your not leaving :) And of course it all depend on what location you pick.

Have you looked into all the immigration laws? There are a huge number of countries that won't let you immigrate unless you meet some fairly stiff criteria. Often you need a job before you immigrate, you may need a 4 year college degree from an accredited university, you might have to show that you have several hundred thousand dollars in the bank to support you should you not have work... there could be others. It can be pretty difficult to immigrate to a lot of countries if you're an American.

Well Mz, you should probably get very very familiar with Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service. They are the ones with all the info on how to do that sort of thing.

And keep in mind that if you do take on the citizenship of another country, you could potentially lose your U.S. citizenship.

Why would you like to move to Ireland and what do you expect to find?

Well...its not 3 wise men and a virgin lol laugh.gif

I'm

From

Aside

If I were you, I would not jump straight into anything like that full steam ahead....

What I believe is the best course of action is........ Start of in the North of Ireland.. that's where I am.. Our economy is not as bad as the South of Ireland and we have a lot of opportunities up in the North..

Our education system is one of the best.......even though I am not a good example of that fact but it is meant to be one of the best lol

Living in the north, and getting work should be easy.. It also gives you the opportunity to travel to the South and explore it more for yourself... But I warn you, the south may be a pretty place to visit...but it is expensive to live in the south... A lot of the Southern folk come up north to shop to save money..

Start off just taking a good 6 months... and maybe extend that to one year living and working abroad.. BEFORE you make any major decisions to live over here permanently... Please take that from someone who lives over here...I know what I am talking about

What type of research are you doing? ..... What kind of jobs are you looking to get?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I'm pretty sure the only requirements are that your favorite color is green, you like to get drunk, and you believe in leprechauns.

I will assume that wanting to emigrate to Ireland is similar to wanting to emigrate to England, so I will tell you now that it is very difficult, as MissMeIsWell stated. I don't know how old you are, but the older you get (over 35) the tougher it is, unless you're already working for a company which has offices in Ireland. It's easier if your grandparents, at least, are natives. There are many avenues of getting a Visa, so do your homework. I'm not going to try to discourage you, because I don't know your situation, but be prepared for a lot of road blocks. I'm speaking as one who has tried and since accepted that I will never live anywhere but here. If you'd care to PM me with your email address, I will gladly forward to you a PDF booklet I bought about the practical side of moving over there.

Best of luck!

Well...its not 3 wise men and a virgin lol laugh.gif

A good job to, she might be disappointed.:rofl:

The reason i ask is some people have a romantic view, can you imagine her moving right down south with the rain and wind coming sideways off the sea (that's a good summer day) the holiday cottages are mostly empty, after traveling around the Dingle a couple of times and visited the Asians selling tat in the local market she might get a bit fed up, she could go to Dublin but it's full of Brits :P i'm starting to sound a little cynical ok i'll put on the blarney, Ireland is a wonderful country and a great place to visit.

PS, bring a mac.

A good job to, she might be disappointed.:rofl:

The reason i ask is some people have a romantic view, can you imagine her moving right down south with the rain and wind coming sideways off the sea (that's a good summer day) the holiday cottages are mostly empty, after traveling around the Dingle a couple of times and visited the Asians selling tat in the local market she might get a bit fed up, she could go to Dublin but it's full of Brits :P i'm starting to sound a little cynical ok i'll put on the blarney, Ireland is a wonderful country and a great place to visit.

PS, bring a mac.

The weather is up the left recently over here... We have had a few days hot sun..and a break of rain and cold... back to more hot sun.. The weather is mixed up and it is the 1st time I have ever seen it go like this...

Usually during the summer.. the South of Ireland is hotter. just like the South of England is too.. The darker clouds are up North were I am ...headed towards Scotland .....and over the mainland usually... But normally the south of both England and Ireland are sunny for a lot of the time.. I get disappointed more because the North regions like N. Ireland and Scotland and other northern parts of the British Isles get the rain more ...

Galway is one of the best places in my opinion to visit... I cannot say much about Dublin, I have worked in it for a bit but for me Dublin is too crowded... However there are lots to see in Dublin too.. and no it is not all rain lol..... I worked there for a while due to my last job opening up a new branch... I was glad to get home again to be honest.. I was disappointed I never got to see the better parts of Dublin....I was working in Liffey Valley Dublin...and when I was there, the heat was plenty ...The only thing that I had a bit of a problem with was their accent, meaning they spoke a bit faster , I had to ask them to repeat a number of things lol...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I will assume that wanting to emigrate to Ireland is similar to wanting to emigrate to England, so I will tell you now that it is very difficult, as MissMeIsWell stated. I don't know how old you are, but the older you get (over 35) the tougher it is, unless you're already working for a company which has offices in Ireland. It's easier if your grandparents, at least, are natives. There are many avenues of getting a Visa, so do your homework. I'm not going to try to discourage you, because I don't know your situation, but be prepared for a lot of road blocks. I'm speaking as one who has tried and since accepted that I will never live anywhere but here. If you'd care to PM me with your email address, I will gladly forward to you a PDF booklet I bought about the practical side of moving over there.

Best of luck!

True that. I mention it because my ex-husband (when we were still married) wanted to move us all to Thailand because his job with MIcrosoft was offering him a permanent position in their Bangkok offices. Turned out he couldnt take the transfer because the government of Thailand wouldn't give him a VISA for longer than 45 days. Why? Because he had no upper level degree. That was one of the criteria for immigration. Turned out there were similar rules in most countries. In fact when we were both working in the north of England, we were required to fly home every 45 days and then return back to the UK. We did that for almost 9 months. Interesting enough, our other work partner was a Greek national, working on H1B Visa in the USA, didn't have to return to the USA or Greece, he was allowed to stay in the UK as long as he'd like. LOL He even owned a flat in London. I was never really clear on why he was allowed to stay and we weren't. This was pre-EU as well.

I don't want to dissuade you at all... but I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think... I know a lot of US citizens who overstayed their VISA's in various countries and got themselves in to quite a bit of trouble. Hell, my ex-husband, before we were married got deported from Canada and he was working at a hotel owned by his aunt and uncle. LOL! Had another close friend deported from Belgium after he overstayed his student VISA. He wasn't allowed back into Europe at all until he married his girlfriend (a Belgian government official!). And even then, it was touch and go for a while haha.

Edited by MissMelsWell

You bring out a good point, there, Miss, with regards to the EU. There's definitely preferential treatment for those who are from EU countries, even though UK is only partially in the EU.

The weather is up the left recently over here... We have had a few days hot sun..and a break of rain and cold... back to more hot sun.. The weather is mixed up and it is the 1st time I have ever seen it go like this...

Usually during the summer.. the South of Ireland is hotter. just like the South of England is too.. The darker clouds are up North were I am ...headed towards Scotland .....and over the mainland usually... But normally the south of both England and Ireland are sunny for a lot of the time.. I get disappointed more because the North regions like N. Ireland and Scotland and other northern parts of the British Isles get the rain more ...

Galway is one of the best places in my opinion to visit... I cannot say much about Dublin, I have worked in it for a bit but for me Dublin is too crowded... However there are lots to see in Dublin too.. and no it is not all rain lol..... I worked there for a while due to my last job opening up a new branch... I was glad to get home again to be honest.. I was disappointed I never got to see the better parts of Dublin....I was working in Liffey Valley Dublin...and when I was there, the heat was plenty ...The only thing that I had a bit of a problem with was their accent, meaning they spoke a bit faster , I had to ask them to repeat a number of things lol...

You are right the weathers not much different than England and a lot drier than Wales i was over the back-end of last summer and it rained all week the food is great but expensive (it always as been) there's nearly as many Irish pubs as there is in England now, that fad is starting to wain and it's still possible to find nice cosy old fashioned hostelries, i find the Kerryman's accent is very soft and easy to understand my father-in-law was from Donegal i couldn't understand a word he said though i drank with him nearly every night for ten years.

I agree with those suggesting quite a bit of research and planning before making your move.

Watching all 3 series' of Father Ted should suffice. :P

Edited by Leonardo

You are right the weathers not much different than England and a lot drier than Wales i was over the back-end of last summer and it rained all week the food is great but expensive (it always as been) there's nearly as many Irish pubs as there is in England now, that fad is starting to wain and it's still possible to find nice cosy old fashioned hostelries, i find the Kerryman's accent is very soft and easy to understand my father-in-law was from Donegal i couldn't understand a word he said though i drank with him nearly every night for ten years.

It's amazing with a country as small as Ireland, can have so many versions of the accent ...

When I was in Liffey valley...We were getting their kitchen and bathroom showrooms ready.......A manager ( with a strong Dublin accent ) came to me and said - Rooight Geri, can you tell me how many pear bats we have?.............. I looked at him and thought - Eh? Pear bats? What is a pear bat ? unsure.gif I seriously was confused with that one... He repeated it a few times.. I stood there still confused.. Pear bats? I don't get it ? ... One of my collogues didn't understand what he was asking for...Until someone came over and said.. He means - Pearl Baths ( bath tubs in the design of an oyster shell..which were cheap garbage ) ....... I was like - OHHH you mean a PEAL BATH... finally I get it ..............The manager laughed it off, he said ... You Northerners never get us it is so funny watching each of you look so confused.. We laughed it off.. But I had a bit of trouble here and there trying to understand so many words they used...

One man approached me... asking --> Where do ya kep the shelves.?. ( at least that what it sure sounded like )............. I thought he was looking shelving and pointed him to the shelving aisle... It was only when he mentioned getting a plumber to fit it.. I then clicked on he was saying - SHOWERS .....Not SHELVES ..It was the accent.. lol tongue.gif

I liked their accent, but knew it would take a while to get used to is all.... You mentioned Donegal... I rarely meet folks from there ...They are famous for fishing though ...A lot of supermarkets up here will sell Donegal catch.. That is fish.. of various kinds and it is rather nice if I may say so ...

I agree with those suggesting quite a bit of research and planning before making your move.

Watching all 3 series' of Father Ted should suffice. :P

So you agree with us all lol.. We all agree.. it is better not to jump straight in. I would say that about going to live and work in any country .tongue.gif

I think you are joking on the Father Ted thing... Life in Ireland is not like episodes of Father Ted well maybe tiny parts of it can be lol ......My fav one is - The one where they enter a song for Europe - My Lovely Horse ....running down the. field !! And least I forget the one with the bomb on the milk float...going below 5mph and blowing up ( taking the p*** out of the movie Speed ) .. all saying mass to stop it... Too funny laugh.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Couldn't you just find an Irishman to marry? That should be easy in America where every white person there considers themself Irish. ;)

Couldn't you just find an Irishman to marry? That should be easy in America where every white person there considers themself Irish. ;)

Ha ha so true. Any time I was over there, a lot told me they were Irish..and some would have asked me if I knew certain folks... Thinking I must know everyone who is Irish... That is like me saying to an American - Do you know Hank Johnson.. he too is an american?...... But if she finds herself an Irishman to marry.. she would be likely to still be stuck in the USA lol

Ha ha so true. Any time I was over there, a lot told me they were Irish..and some would have asked me if I knew certain folks... Thinking I must know everyone who is Irish... That is like me saying to an American - Do you know Hank Johnson.. he too is an american?...... But if she finds herself an Irishman to marry.. she would be likely to still be stuck in the USA lol

Heeeeyyyyy...I know for a fact I am about 98% Irish and all but one of my great-great grandparents came from County Cork. :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OMG!! Have you moved there yet?? I know this post is few months old so wasn't sure. I am so jealous! I have a friend who lives in Northern Ireland and he's sent me pictures and it looks so amazing...I love his accent too but its hard to understand over the phone sometimes lol but I loves me some Irish boys! I would move there if I could too! If you haven't moved yet, I hope you it all works out for you and you live happily ever after!!!!!

Heeeeyyyyy...I know for a fact I am about 98% Irish and all but one of my great-great grandparents came from County Cork. :D

I have never been to County Cork...it is a bit far for me to travel by car... I don't like long car journeys...But I wouldn't mind going one day.. IF I ever feel like a long car journey...Imagine all that - I'm hungry... Are we there yet?.. over and over.. and that's just me lol :P

OMG!! Have you moved there yet?? I know this post is few months old so wasn't sure. I am so jealous! I have a friend who lives in Northern Ireland and he's sent me pictures and it looks so amazing...I love his accent too but its hard to understand over the phone sometimes lol but I loves me some Irish boys! I would move there if I could too! If you haven't moved yet, I hope you it all works out for you and you live happily ever after!!!!!

I live in N. Ireland have done all my life.. What part of N.Ireland does your friend live?...who knows he or she could be living close to me lol.. If they live in Belfast, then no it is no where near me..I live in what many people from Belfast refer to it as - The sticks..! .. More of a country side that is situated near a town...I like it ok but I would rather be living in some place life Florida !!...The Belfast accent is much broader than my own ...For a small little country, we have many accents over here.

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I just realized I quoted the wrong post. This was the one I was referring to.^^^^^

My bad...

I have never been to County Cork...it is a bit far for me to travel by car... I don't like long car journeys...But I wouldn't mind going one day.. IF I ever feel like a long car journey...Imagine all that - I'm hungry... Are we there yet?.. over and over.. and that's just me lol :P

One of the many reasons I never had kids...I'm bad enough. :tu:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

One of the many reasons I never had kids...I'm bad enough. :tu:

If you were to ever get the chance to go over to Ireland, it would be nice for you to go and look around Cork where your family members came from ..--> https://www.google.c...iw=1680&bih=959 It is nice to look at..If you happen to like the country life..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

If you were to ever get the chance to go over to Ireland, it would be nice for you to go and look around Cork where your family members came from ..--> https://www.google.c...iw=1680&bih=959 It is nice to look at..If you happen to like the country life..

We have business outside of Dublin later this year. When the job is done we are going to stay another two weeks and will be going to Cork. :sk