Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Tiny blue flower can kill a humpback whale

8 posts in this topic

The humpback whale is one of Earth's largest creatures, with an average weight of around 40 tons. But as it turns out, this gigantic creature is vulnerable to the toxins of a much smaller living thing: Aconitum delphinifolium, better known as Larkspur monkshood.

arrow3.gifRead more...

10 of the World’s Deadliest Plants — And How They Kill You

http://io9.com/5841540/10-of-the-worlds-deadliest-plants-++-and-how-they-kill-you

Interesting. Like the article, I also wonder how the whalers figured out it was toxic to the whales. Did they just do a trial and error test of local plant life? :lol:

I know Oleander flowers are quite lovely - as you can see in the photograph. I saw a bunch of the flowers last December when I took friends to the Myrtles Plantation. The tour guide had some at hand because one of the slaves poisoned some of the family members using the crushed leaves of the Oleander.

A number of these plants are extremely common where I live. Oleander's just about everywhere along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

I know Oleander flowers are quite lovely - as you can see in the photograph. I saw a bunch of the flowers last December when I took friends to the Myrtles Plantation. The tour guide had some at hand because one of the slaves poisoned some of the family members using the crushed leaves of the Oleander.

Owww,have you ever seen anything interesting at the Myrtles ?

I thought monkshood is extremely toxic to pretty much everything. No wonder it was used to kill werewolves.

I wonder how many poison spears they had to chuck into a whale before bringing it down.

WOW!I can use these flowers to take a fatal revenge on someone . Maybe a dog for that matter. :P But thanks for that post. :tu:

I didnt reaslise just how poisonous the Oleander was. I have a couple of these plants on the patio. Funny thing is, the Oleander Hawk Moth caterpillar will only eat this plant and one other (which I cannot remember the name of lol)

Have added a couple of pics. One of the plant as it is now, and one of the caterpillar taken a few months ago.

post-121346-0-47103100-1335342193_thumb.

post-121346-0-06283000-1335342199_thumb.