Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artefacts show the history of beer drinking

Still Waters

BEFORE pints, schooners and pots, golden lager was drunk from a gold cup with, ahem, a straw.

The practice might have modern drinkers choking on their beer, but 4500 years ago that was how the royal well-to-do in ancient Mesopotamia swilled their brew.

Today a cup made of pure gold from that era is considered so treasured its custodians dare not touch it with their bare hands, let alone fill it with beer.

The cup is the centrepiece of Melbourne Museum's latest international exhibition, the Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• BiffSplitkins

• Still Waters

• spud the mackem

I prefer my beer in metal mugs. I've never drank beer from a solid gold mug though. Would that require raising my pinky finger every time I took a gulp?

I prefer my beer in metal mugs. I've never drank beer from a solid gold mug though. Would that require raising my pinky finger every time I took a gulp?

Only if you are Italian, in other places that is considered either awkward or rude :devil:

Wow dont tell me that they have found me pot of gold,Ive been searching for a 1000 years for it..or it may belong to my Oz mate the Jolly Swag Man,who camps by a billabong..

Uh, that's my cup I lost along time ago. Please return it. I miss the gold and beer taste.

Hmm, was there any beer with the finds? I wanna taste the beer that's been distilled that long.