Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are burgers, fries and kebabs addictive?

Althalus

LONDON (Reuters) - A steady diet of hamburgers, fries and foods high in fat and loaded with calories may not only pile on the pounds -- some scientists are questioning whether it could be addictive.

Researchers who have been testing the biological effects of fast foods are discovering that they can trigger hormonal changes in the body which could make it difficult to control eating.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarro

• Kira

• Althalus

• emmy

Top Posters In This Topic

wacko.gifwacko.gif MMMMM McDonalds, MMMMMM McDonalds.....

Yes they are very addictive.

Actually when I eat fast food or sweets etc. I find that I crave more than if I stick to anything healthier,

healthier foods tend to make me feel full.

being fat is only the fault of the person who chooses to keep pigging out on junk when they should realize they've eaten too much.

where i work, there is a floor of people who are all ENORMOUSLY fat. its the 5th floor. well, everyday on the 5th floor, they have a catered lunch. on fridays on the 5th floor, pizza. i saw a lady on the 5th floor that is so fat she waddled up and down the hall- while holding a double cheeseburger! i just wanted to scream out- STOP EATING, DAMMIT!

they probably have all kinds of excuses as to why they are fat, but i know the only reason is that they eat excessively. why would they keep ordering these huge lunches that are so big they need to be wheeled in on multi-level carts? whenever i see a van pull up and unloading food, i know exactly where its headed. coincidence? i think not.

Although overeating and a poor diet can lead to a person being overweight there are also other factors which can make a person gain weight.

An underactive thyroid can cause excessive weight gain which is very hard to lose although the person may not eat excessively. Another reason for weight gain is when a person is depressed and turns to food which is called comfort eating.

DSchwartz, the lady who works at your office may be comforting eating.

i saw a lady on the 5th floor that is so fat she waddled up and down the hall- while holding a double cheeseburger!

She probably realises that she's overweight and maybe is teased about it so she eats even more for comfort.

I've been biased in the past towards overweight people, thinking like you that its there own fault although I don't think like that anymore because no matter what we are all human and we all have feelings to be considered. It is wrong to judge a person on what they look like, and I realise that I was very small minded to do so.

people have feelings. i understand that, but i am not sympathetic to lazy people. i apologize for my standards but i cannot tolerate people who are good for nothing. these people exist- whether its PC to say so or not. i get sick of people who refuse to walk up one flight of stairs- so they stand at an elevator waiting for 10 minutes- that is just pathetic. i see tons of these type of people and guess what? they are fat! it must be their glands though.

in the past few weeks i have found myself believing that we have too many good for nothing people in this country. maybe its different where some of you live, but where i live i see 10 fat/old/lazy people for 1 fit young person. i have to deal with this at my job, where people page me constantly to carry an envelope down a hall for them or some other nonsense. its becoming ridiculous as people my parents age have come to expect the treatment from young people that they had to dish out back in the 50s/60s. well, reality check for ya, you guys outnumber us 10 to 1 and i for one am sick and tired of your laziness. there simply arent enough young people around these days to keep up with all the old people's wants. add to that the fact that these old and lazy people make 4 times the money i make for doing practically nothing and it will turn you into a communist very quickly. its the peter principle at its absolute worst.

sad to say, but i hope some people start dying out soon. thin the herd, you know what i mean? society has to start addressing this kind of thing, as it is only getting worse as they get older. how do you support a population of people that refuse to support themselves? what about people who consume more than they produce? its like we are now de-evolving. in nature, there are predators to take these unfit animals, but what about in our society? hmm? we are headed for destruction.

Small minded doesn't even come close to describing this idiot's inflammatory and ludicrous opinions. Admittedly, life isn't exactly all that wonderful, but do we have to suffer the agonizingly frequent and frighteningly vile ranting of someone so distressingly unconscionable? Don't we encounter enough bile and unpleasantness in real life without being assaulted yet again, here? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a spirited argument as much as anyone else, but good Lord, where do you draw the line on decency and common courtesy? I'm a little dismayed at the lack of replies expressing outrage and disgust at this jackass, silence to me generally bespeaks agreement or acquiescence. Then again, I never was one for holding back my displeasure over such loathsome comments. Must be getting cranky in my old age, lucky for me I don't live in Schwartz's world, I'd be dead by now.

I don't believe that any of us has a right to judge any one for any reason , and I am really begining to get tired of all the inapropriate judements , generalizations and insults . That keep popping up .

Back to the real reason for the thread Salty Fatty foods and sweets are addictive(A topic worth arguing over rolleyes.gif ) If your body is craving a certain food it is because your body is lacking in some kind of vitamin or mineral .

The body uses junk food as a quick fix . You should never really believe that a craving for a pack of crisps is really that , when it could be the bodies need for an apple.

I'm a little dismayed at the lack of replies expressing outrage and disgust at this jackass, silence to me generally bespeaks agreement or acquiescence.

Our silence does not necessarily mean agreement. It is only when we reply to these kind of posts do we give the individual a further platform for extolling his said views.

mad.gifpo.gifscreama.gif Ok at the risk of my own well being I have posted this pic here.

Now I don't live on junk food nor do I refuse to walk a flight of stairs. I won't go to the gym because of people like YOU DSchwartz. Who automatically assume that every "fat" person is lazy..... All I can do is show you this. I know some people don't notice and think I'm pretty. But it is the likes of you and your narrow mindedness that can make life pretty unbearable.......

So I will let whoever looks at this decide.................

user posted image

DSchwartz,

There are limits to what can be regarded as being an acceptable thing to post on a public discussion board, and having read through your posts in this thread, it has become very obvious that this is not the forum for you.

Your attitude is bewildering, why anyone would want to post such offensive and frankly insulting nonsense is beyond me. Your eagerness to offend is baffling, do you honestly believe that posting things like this is apropriate ?

I've received numerous complaints about these posts of yours, including requests asking that you should be banned from the forum completely. I really do not want to have to ban you from the boards, but should you decide to keep this up, I will have little alternative.

wow, all i did was express my opinion. i certainly didn't imply that all fat people are bad, just the way i feel about this topic.

i can't understand why i irritate people so badly here. i guess its because people assume i am something that im not because all you see is my words. im not criticising all fat people, but rather people who are utterly lazy and refuse to accept that they are the reason for their obesity. studies can come out and make you feel like its all the fault of a fatty food when in reality, you can decide not to eat it.

i do not go to a gym regularly. i am not in tip top physical condition, but i am definitely not lazy. i walk to and from work rather than driving. i eat sensibly and exercise by work- whether it be carrying heavy objects for my gardening or mailbags at my job. i live like a person who lived 100 years ago- i refuse to let technology make me lazy and weak. i go out of my way to remain lively and often take the more difficult path purposely.

i don't judge people unless they leave me no choice but to judge them for what they are. the examples i gave were of people who i have known for over 5 years, and i know they are lazy and overeat regularly. i didnt post this to offend anyone here, as i don't know you at all. i only posted it to support my opinion on the subject matter.

why does it seem like i am constantly battling to have my right to post things on these forums? are you all really this politically correct or do you just not like me? im sorry i differ in opinion but i would hardly consider myself offensive. im just of a joking and less serious nature than you guys. why can't you see that? geez, lighten up please...

am i the youngest person here or what? i just don't get the seriousness of this forum. ive gotten away with more in a church without being called offensive. how formal is an internet forum on The Unexplained anyways? if you prefer me not to be here, i will go on my own. i actually enjoy posting and reading these forums and i watch others say things similar to my comments without getting any grief for it. i just have more enemies i guess original.gif

Thank you for having the courage to post that nice pic Kira, I personally don't find anything wrong with it, and I agree that you do look pretty.

dry.gif

often take the more difficult path purposely.

Just for the record is that everything cos it seems to the case. And as a matter of point

the examples i gave were of people who i have known for over 5 years, and i know they are lazy and overeat regularly.
Do you tell them this to their faces????Cos if you do how many times have you been hit?

i don't judge people unless they leave me no choice but to judge them for what they are.
What about a fair hearing??? It seems to me that you enjoy posting opinons that will fly in the face of people. And enjoy the attention that you get from it. And then you seem to have no idea that the way you word things, just seems to come out as a rant.

am i the youngest person here or what?
No not by long chalk but u are one of the most immature.....

i certainly didn't imply that all fat people are bad
BUT U DID!!!!!!

Now I am open minded and fair when it comes to people's opinions and believe that everyone should have their say..... But I'm sorry you have pushed my limits, I have tried to see the good in what you are saying but I can't you have locked too many threads and I am getting fed up with it. I know what will happen next you will rant on about how unfairly you have been treated.

I have one thing to say finally

GROW UP!!!!

Celti, i wrote out a nice personal message to you but unfortunately i got blue screen of death in the middle of it. well, im glad that happened because seeing your reply sums up how it would have done little good anyways.

i am not immature. im different from you- culturally, philosophically, and even in temperment. i did not aim to offend and i would think any reasonable person would see that my statements were tongue in cheek. i like to joke around and speak freely about things i believe in. i don't crave attention, in fact, i avoid it. i only posted my opinions on the subject because i feel very strongly about this- considering i am a vegetarian and know exactly what the mind's effect on eating is all about. i deny myself meat, even though i ate meat most of my life. i also deny myself a lot of junk because i believe that food should only serve the purpose of nourishment and not as a path to happiness. these are my personality traits and they affect the way i view others.

i am offended by excess. there is too much excess in my society. people could choose to limit themselves but often they do not and then try to blame the ill effects that afflict them on the products they consume rather than their own faults. this is nonsense, i am sorry if that offends someone who is fat, but it is truth. stop eating, lose weight. eat more, gain weight.

sure, i did rant. it felt nice too. as i previously stated, my job entails my serving lazy and fat people who refuse to do even the smallest amount of physical labor. would i tell them that to their face? hell no. that's why i posted my opinion here. not to offend anyone here, but to offer my perspective on why i believe the things i do. not everyone who is fat is lazy, but often the two seem to go hand and hand to me.

if you guys don't like me, so be it. my wife tells me almost daily that i lack any sort of tact. you should have seen her face last christmas when i told her mother that we didn't want the new set of red bath towels she gave us. they were bright red and my wife had complained for years about the red towels we bought a few years back- how they were impossible to wash with anything else and were generally a pain to deal with. we ended up tossing them in the garbage out of frustration. well, i told her mother flatly that we didn't want the red towels and my wife almost laid an egg. well, it was the truth wasnt it? that is me in a nutshell. im really sorry for being tactless but its a personality trait. please understand that and accept me as i accept you smile.gif

wink.gif

im really sorry for being tactless but its a personality trait.

Hmmmmmm well I cannot hold a grudge but I will say this I accept your apology but that does mean I can forget what was said in jest or otherwise... all I can say it

We'll see and I can't be any more honest or fairer than that

CW,

That took great courage for you to post the pic, and I really respect that. I would be afraid to post my pic, and I look like George Clooney except with bigger muscles biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I think you look terrific, and like I said in the chatroom before...STUPID POND mad.gif

and Celtic you look great .

I'm not exactly perfect either ( but thats just between me and you right wink.gif There are some people here who would be heart broken if you told them ) biggrin.gif

Nah healthy and happy thats what matters. smile.gif

CW, I have 'seen' so many beautiful people join this forum,

(your picture just proves me right) smile.gif

And I believe that as long as you're happy, and do no harm

to others, that is my outlook on life.

Hey Kira, wavey.gif

Funny, I pictured you with longer hair biggrin.gif

KC, I couldn't of put it better smile.gif

Alot of men, my husband included, think a woman are only worthy of their attention if they have perfect bodies. even though they're hardly sexgods. But what they don't realize is, having children phisically changes your body in ways you would never of dreamed of.

After having my children I put on 2st, and after being nagged to death by my husband I went to excercise classes, I chose Kick Boxing!!!

So now, when my tactless hubby annoys me or makes me feel guilty for eating a Bueno (totally scrummy chocolate bar) I show him the moves I learn't in class! wink.gif

I'm not perfect - nobody is. But I'm healthy and happy and I'm definetly all woman, even the wobbly bits tongue.gif

mmmmmm bueno - haven't had one of them in ages

i also agree with KC, personally I do not care what other people look like, I think what is important with other people is the way in which they behave towards others, and not what they look like phisically.

after all everyone is beautiful in their own way. smile.gif

I think what is important with other people is the way in which they behave towards others, and not what they look like phisically.

Yeah me too Al, theres too much pressure on people nowadays to look and act in a certain way.

BTW Celtic, you look cool!!