Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl falls through pavement (video)

Still Waters

A teenage girl in north China was walking on a pavement while talking on her mobile phone, when she fell - suddenly, and without warning - into a sinkhole six metres deep.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Black Red Devil

• psyche101

• ColoradoParanormal

Glad she's ok. :)

Now she also has bonus of having a genuine "unforgettable" experience to tell everyone about. (and 15mins of fame)

Ever get that sinking feeling? :innocent:

I think I have a phobia of something like that happening to me. It all started after I saw a news article about a hole house with family in it that disappeared down a 300foot sink hole. What a horrible way to die. Glad this girl was ok though!

They eat houses and cars ever so often in Florida. It has to do with the water table being reduced I think... From the video it looked as though she should have had quite a scrape on her face. Oooooch!

I think I have a phobia of something like that happening to me. It all started after I saw a news article about a hole house with family in it that disappeared down a 300foot sink hole. What a horrible way to die. Glad this girl was ok though!

Weird, I have that same phobia...

When I visited La Paz, Bolivia, 20 years ago, you could sometimes see a running stream deep down though a crack in the pavement. People had fallen through, and were never found again.

That's the things nightmares are made of, jesus.

Dang, I guess that's one way to drop out of sight.

I use to live in Mexico City, and the pavements were not the best. You always needed to look down, else you would disappear down a hole. Even though I have been back in England for 6 years, I still always look down. It's a hard habit to break.

I laughed when I saw the video on the news.

Well normally people with no sense would laugh at others getting hurt...Little amuses the innocent

Glad she's ok. :)

Now she also has bonus of having a genuine "unforgettable" experience to tell everyone about. (and 15mins of fame)

I saw it on the news earlier.. I too am glad she is ok... And I feel its going to be a mighty big claim of the council

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I use to live in Mexico City, and the pavements were not the best. You always needed to look down, else you would disappear down a hole. Even though I have been back in England for 6 years, I still always look down. It's a hard habit to break.

I remember all sorts of holes, unfinished sidewalks, sewers down below rickety steel doors, loose rebar aiming at my shins,...someone joked last time i was down there that if america had sidewalks like that the lawyers would never sleep. :huh:

I saw that news article I think. You're right, that's an absolute terrible way to die! I used to be afraid growing up in North Dakota of falling into a hole in the snow in spring. In ND, they receive SO much snow that when the spring warmth comes, it starts to melt and creates thousands of under the snow raging rivers. Literally tubes of water rushing right below your feet that you can't see. And if it's a warm enough day, and you're walking through a pasture or field, you run the risk of breaking through the top layers of snow/ice and being swept down these hidden rivers.

I remember stories of people falling through and not being seen again until summer reached and the snows melted. They would find corpses in the middle of fields from this. It was scary!

They mention the mall woman and say she was occupied on a mobile, but honestly, I do not see where she was supposed to get the warning on phone or no phone, The ground just gave way below here, I do not see how this is like the mall woman at all, or how she could be at fault in any way.

A teenage girl in north China was walking on a pavement while talking on her mobile phone, when she fell

s Cathy Cruise, the woman who became famous for falling into a mall fountain while texting, said, the worst part of the fall was her embarrassment.

"The humiliation," she said. "You don't know how many people are laughing at you."

Quite different circumstances IMHO.

Edited by psyche101

The area I lived was quite scenic and automobile companies and others would often shoot commercials showing the wistfully meandering road with rolling hills and mountains in the background. I was a first responder and would mull the number of fatalities and accidents that had occurred over each mile of that road as I drove it over the years. How different our perpectives can be when we are sensitized to the sometimes dire realities and the perils that lurk in our everyday settings. Let us be thankful for good samaritans. And, for this teenager who escaped with perhaps nothing more than a bruised ego and some likely ribbing from her peers.

They mention the mall woman and say she was occupied on a mobile, but honestly, I do not see where she was supposed to get the warning on phone or no phone, The ground just gave way below here, I do not see how this is like the mall woman at all, or how she could be at fault in any way.

A teenage girl in north China was walking on a pavement while talking on her mobile phone, when she fell

s Cathy Cruise, the woman who became famous for falling into a mall fountain while texting, said, the worst part of the fall was her embarrassment.

"The humiliation," she said. "You don't know how many people are laughing at you."

Quite different circumstances IMHO.

Those were my thoughts when the article made the comparison between the two incidents and made reference to the scientific studies that found decreased environmental awareness when using a cell phone.

Like you said, the ground just caved in on her. There was no identifiable warning signs to even be aware of, not even cracks or holes in the surface of the pavement, atleast from what I can tell from the low-quality footage. Even if there was a small hint of danger, most people would not expect to fall into a sinkhole on what is, from all appearances, solid pavement.

Well normally people with no sense would laugh at others getting hurt...Little amuses the innocent

I saw it on the news earlier.. I too am glad she is ok... And I feel its going to be a mighty big claim of the council

Hi Beckys_Mom

This is China. You really think she will get compensation? lol :wacko:

edit....in fact she may well get the bill for breaking their pavement !

Edited by Englishgent

Hi Beckys_Mom

This is China. You really think she will get compensation? lol :wacko:

edit....in fact she may well get the bill for breaking their pavement !

w00t.gif HA right enough... Well you'll never know... stranger things have indeed happened lol

I am glad that this girl is alright.

Pavement "Made in China".

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil
  • Like 1

Pavement "Made in China".

LOL Good point. Not too surprised about something like this happening in the the Country which has the lowest standards to for quality control. Maybe that's why China is renowned for its china( porcelain pottery) because for thousands of years its mastered the art of making things that break so easily.

Nice, nice. Puns are PERFECT for laughing at something that could've ended worse than it actually did. Like Alienated Being, I too, am glad that she's alright.

LOL Good point. Not too surprised about something like this happening in the the Country which has the lowest standards to for quality control. Maybe that's why China is renowned for its china( porcelain pottery) because for thousands of years its mastered the art of making things that break so easily.

Yep. As the saying goes, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Almost everything coming out of China is low quality, cheap imitations.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a good thing she was ok at least. From the look of that pavement it was only a few feet in thickness. I would defenately suggest making it thicker.