Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Acronyms, Abbreviations and Text speak..!

Beckys_Mom

I was reading a womens form page, to look things up about pregnancy symptooms and so forth ...But one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, a lot of abbreviations and text speak...I did get annoyed enough to leave and search further to other sites, only to find they are just as bad...I could not understand many things they were saying...

For example a lot of them would post up - Well I was telling my DH about my US and happy.... Then another woman would post - Oh yes my DH felt the same...I went in for a NSP directed by my CLT but my DH stayed behind .... I got fustrated more so on - My DH.. I had no idea what on earth was their DH's ? Until Gary told me it meant - Darling Husband ....I was like what the heck? !!

My DH and my OB...The SCBU... ..my CS.. my US date..My CTL and my NSP..<-- these are jammed in with acronyms ( a LOT of over used and made up acronyms that I have never seen before ) and text speak which makes it almost impossible to read ...

I cannot stand the text speak when it is used on discusion boards ..I feel it should be left for the text messages to other phones ..It is laziness for most of the time ..I can understand a little of it but I am not great at reading text speak..

I understand so many will post using their phones, but thee is no need to use the constant text speak is there? I know a few on UM that post from their phones and they never use text speak.. ( thank goodness ) ...But in saying that, I have noticed the odd one here and there use nothing but text speak..and it was just unreadable ...

Sentences starting off with lower case letters and looking like - i knw dat god exists coz he ans my prayers, U pple R just in denial god spks 2 me all the tm god is gr8 IDK this for fct .i need no prf, U pple never look hard enough . <-- I read ( well tried to read ) something like this not that long ago..and I sat thinking - Why are you so darn lazy?... Do you honestly think people can get what you are saying and give you a reply? ..

I do not mind people starting some sentences with lower case letters.. I know they sare just typing quick, but at least their posts are still readable.. It is the type of example posted above I cannot read as well... And a lot of these words cut. done from pure bone idleness.. 4 letter words .. they drop a letter to shorten it..and sometimes 2 - 3 letter words shortened .. Is it too much to type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually just the LOL..I do that normally and not think about it.. I used to use more.. Like - WTF? BTW? IMO FYI ? But ever since I saw too many over using and making more up that I couldnt understand.. Like IDK <-- I once had to as a member- What is IDK ? is it I do know? Or I don't know? Turns out it can be both !!...*shrugs* ...I hammered down on my own use of acronyms, and I try hard to type sentences in full and not cut corners ..

LOL is the only remaining on I will use and only do it becauise I dont want people to think I am that serious ! If I could get away from using that ..I would do it .....

Bare in mind.. I am not complaining about the use of acronyms and so on, because I understand the use of some ... I am just wondering if they go a bit far? Meaning too many made up and why so many?

Maybe I am over reacting...but I cannot help noticing how so many will be lazy and over use the acronyms / abbreviations and cram in too much text speak ...There are so many of these posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them

Do any of you feel the same or similar? Do you notice this too ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

I've been trying to get IMDWWYHTSBISDTTDYRTSI (I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it) to catch on, to no avail.

• Like 1

I was reading a womens form page, to look things up about pregnancy symptooms and so forth ...But one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, a lot of abbreviations and text speak...I did get annoyed enough to leave and search further to other sites, only to find they are just as bad...I could not understand many things they were saying...

For example a lot of them would post up - Well I was telling my DH about my US and happy.... Then another woman would post - Oh yes my DH felt the same...I went in for a NSP directed by my CLT but my DH stayed behind .... I got fustrated more so on - My DH.. I had no idea what on earth was their DH's ? Until Gary told me it meant - Darling Husband ....I was like what the heck? !!

My DH and my OB...The SCBU... ..my CS.. my US date..My CTL and my NSP..<-- these are jammed in with acronyms ( a LOT of over used and made up acronyms that I have never seen before ) and text speak which makes it almost impossible to read ...

I cannot stand the text speak when it is used on discusion boards ..I feel it should be left for the text messages to other phones ..It is laziness for most of the time ..I can understand a little of it but I am not great at reading text speak..

I understand so many will post using their phones, but thee is no need to use the constant text speak is there? I know a few on UM that post from their phones and they never use text speak.. ( thank goodness ) ...But in saying that, I have noticed the odd one here and there use nothing but text speak..and it was just unreadable ...

Sentences starting off with lower case letters and looking like - i knw dat god exists coz he ans my prayers, U pple R just in denial god spks 2 me all the tm god is gr8 IDK this for fct .i need no prf, U pple never look hard enough . <-- I read ( well tried to read ) something like this not that long ago..and I sat thinking - Why are you so darn lazy?... Do you honestly think people can get what you are saying and give you a reply? ..

I do not mind people starting some sentences with lower case letters.. I know they sare just typing quick, but at least their posts are still readable.. It is the type of example posted above I cannot read as well... And a lot of these words cut. done from pure bone idleness.. 4 letter words .. they drop a letter to shorten it..and sometimes 2 - 3 letter words shortened .. Is it too much to type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually just the LOL..I do that normally and not think about it.. I used to use more.. Like - WTF? BTW? IMO FYI ? But ever since I saw too many over using and making more up that I couldnt understand.. Like IDK <-- I once had to as a member- What is IDK ? is it I do know? Or I don't know? Turns out it can be both !!...*shrugs* ...I hammered down on my own use of acronyms, and I try hard to type sentences in full and not cut corners ..

LOL is the only remaining on I will use and only do it becauise I dont want people to think I am that serious ! If I could get away from using that ..I would do it .....

Bare in mind.. I am not complaining about the use of acronyms and so on, because I understand the use of some ... I am just wondering if they go a bit far? Meaning too many made up and why so many?

Maybe I am over reacting...but I cannot help noticing how so many will be lazy and over use the acronyms / abbreviations and cram in too much text speak ...There are so many of these posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them

I sympathize with you! I have looked up more than my fair share of these acronyms over the years. What really bothers me is that a lot of them have multiple meanings......then you have to decide which one fits what you're reading.

I have a plain old fashioned cell phone.....no texting and I like it that way.

I guess we just have to put up with it.........unfortunately........or start a movement!

• Like 1

What's even worse is when someone verbally uses text speak. You know, people who actually throw out a "oh em gee" into conversation or maybe the occasional "L-O-L!". Yes i know these people...

But yes, discussion forums,(especially the pregnancy/child info ones from what i can tell) are horrible. All the DH, DD,DS used to make me roll my eyes much too often. I think it was more because of "darling" husband more than the abbreviation though, maybe. :lol:

• Like 1

That god awful text language needs to be shot and killed. It is stupid and makes people look stupid.

• Like 2

What's even worse is when someone verbally uses text speak. You know, people who actually throw out a "oh em gee" into conversation or maybe the occasional "L-O-L!". Yes i know these people...

But yes, discussion forums,(especially the pregnancy/child info ones from what i can tell) are horrible. All the DH, DD,DS used to make me roll my eyes much too often. I think it was more because of "darling" husband more than the abbreviation though, maybe. :lol:

My head spun reading the womens pregnancy and health boards... just as you noted ...there were so many abbreviations and made up acronyms it just floored me..

I was going to register to say - What in the word are you women talking about? Can someone anyone explain all these short abbreviations and long winded acronyms you post? I do not get it...Thanks in advance If you all do not understand what I am saying... I'll put it in a language you might be able to read better .. -> Can some1 ..any1 plz exp 2 me what your many use of AB's and long winded AC's that you pst ? I DNGT thx INA......!!! <-- what would shock me more is they would read that mumbo and answer it lol :w00t:

• Like 1

I've been trying to get IMDWWYHTSBISDTTDYRTSI (I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it) to catch on, to no avail.

Ha ha I like it.......Sorry I meant - ILKIT

That god awful text language needs to be shot and killed. It is stupid and makes people look stupid.

I agree...Before cell phones ( mobiles ) were invented and became the big rage... People used to actually write using FULL letters and proper words....Those days are long over

I sympathize with you! I have looked up more than my fair share of these acronyms over the years. What really bothers me is that a lot of them have multiple meanings......then you have to decide which one fits what you're reading.

I have a plain old fashioned cell phone.....no texting and I like it that way.

I guess we just have to put up with it.........unfortunately........or start a movement!

Oh yes, start a movement sounds good.. If only.... I wish for once they would knock it on the head... It is going a bit far and ripping the as* clean out of it.. The mutli meanings are just plain absurd.... If you were to start a movement....what would you call it? What ever happened to words in full letters? OR call it - Didn't you know there are cell phones invented with predictive text...USE IT.. and quit being so lazy ..Oh to run such a movement would be fun.... Couldnt you just picture the lazy text people fighting back?..... It would be - Down wif U stuk up spkrs, quit piking on us,.this is discrim agnst us, coz we knw hw to ct coners and you dont .LMAO .........It would most liekly look like that or worse :w00t:

As someone with a BA in English, yes I despise this text-speak and more especially the "leet" speak crap. However, there are a few that I use when chatting with friends online, like lol or brb or lmao. I try my best not to use them when I have unlimited writing space to get my point across. It's just an all around laziness; including the horrid spelling kids use these days in lieu of the proper word. Like gud for good.

• Like 1

... one thing that annoyed me was the over use of acronyms, ...

... Is it too much to type the small words in full?

Acronyms I use myself.. Usually just the LOL..I do that normally and not think about it..

... There are so many of these posted on various sites I cannot understand half of them

I agree with you completely on this, BM. Very often I read a straight-forward post on UM, and the acronyms used there are sometimes quite puzzling. It's almost as if it is a "code" for insiders. :tu:

As someone with a BA in English, yes I despise this text-speak and more especially the "leet" speak crap. However, there are a few that I use when chatting with friends online, like lol or brb or lmao. I try my best not to use them when I have unlimited writing space to get my point across. It's just an all around laziness; including the horrid spelling kids use these days in lieu of the proper word. Like gud for good.

What may I ask is 'leet' speak?

Using a 3 instead of an E, a 1 in place of an L, 0 in place of O, 5 in place of S and 4 in place of an A.

You got me on brb, Offeiriad. What does that mean?

Oh -- OK. I just asked my son, who told me that it means "be right back", and is usually used in chatrooms, facebook etc.

I think I was born in the wrong generation, lol. :blush:

I agree with you completely on this, BM. Very often I read a straight-forward post on UM, and the acronyms used there are sometimes quite puzzling. It's almost as if it is a "code" for insiders. :tu:

I saw this one awhile back that I struggled to figure out for a decent amount of time: 10x.

In a sentence: 10x a lot, bro! :rolleyes:

I don't mind some acronyms like LOL.. to add...I don't mind some abbreviations of the odd word OR names.. Like what you have just done.. calling me - BM or one you used to use..- B's Mom I figued that was just an Aussie way of speaking at the time :P We all know it is an abbreviation of a persons ID or name... But the other multi abbreviations and long winded acronyms and nasty text speak is too much ....

You got me on brb, Offeiriad. What does that mean?

Oh -- OK. I just asked my son, who told me that it means "be right back", and is usually used in chatrooms, facebook etc.

I think I was born in the wrong generation, lol. :blush:

BRB = Be Right Back.. Usually only ever used if two or more people are in a live chatroom ... It is not really suitable for forums

Using a 3 instead of an E, a 1 in place of an L, 0 in place of O, 5 in place of S and 4 in place of an A.

Ohhh I see.. I have seen that before... It is annoying.. I notice it done more with ID's though... I don't think I could read a full post in leet speak ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I don't mind some acronyms like LOL.. to add...I don't mind some abbreviations of the odd word OR names.. Like what you have just done.. calling me - BM or one you used to use..- B's Mom I figued that was just an Aussie way of speaking at the time :P ... ~~~ ...

Your reminder of my use of B's Mom had me scratching my head for a while. Then, thinking back, I think I may have done so when I first came onto UM, and was trying to improvise my own acronym. I think I may have used "B's Mom" -- short for "Becky's Mom". I think it was later that I noticed other posters addressing you as BM.

How time does fly, :)

Karlis

Let me just say that this like button is amazing, I had to stop myself from liking too many of your posts! It's become like heroin to me.

And BM, I could not agree more! I'm even seeing this in my students writing at school. It drives me crazy. I've mentioned many times for them not to use acronymns, abbreviations and text talk in their writing, yet I see it time and time again. There are so many mispelled words. Part of me oftentimes wonders if they know how it's even supposed to be done.

Now, when I send a text to a friend, I sometimes use lol but it's very rare as it drives me crazy when I receive back a response with lol as the only response. Maybe I'm too picky. :unsure2:

• Like 2

Let me just say that this like button is amazing, I had to stop myself from liking too many of your posts! It's become like heroin to me.

And BM, I could not agree more! I'm even seeing this in my students writing at school. It drives me crazy. I've mentioned many times for them not to use acronymns, abbreviations and text talk in their writing, yet I see it time and time again. There are so many mispelled words. Part of me oftentimes wonders if they know how it's even supposed to be done.

Now, when I send a text to a friend, I sometimes use lol but it's very rare as it drives me crazy when I receive back a response with lol as the only response. Maybe I'm too picky. :unsure2:

I cannot believe what I am reading here.... I never thought that they would do this nonsense in a school classroom? ... For goodness sake, now that is sheer bone idleness if ever I saw it... How on earth do you put up with that?...I would go nuts at them... In fact I would threaten to fail them if they continued to do that nonsense... BAN IT ALL in the classroom... How are they going to cope with exams or formal letters and so forth?

Do they sit with their cell phones ( mobiles ) in the classroom too?

I would get the rest of the teachers on my side .... In our day... we never did that... Then again we didn't have our phones or sit on the net....But even still... If I am doing out a formal letter, I would NEVER use any acronyms or abbreviations...it does not look professional

When I see a post that has a load of abbreviations, long winded acronyms and text speak? I ignore the post.. Cringe at it and move on... I so want to go and reply to it saying - Ok, so, for those of us who's first language is ENGLISH.. can we translate? The odd LOL and abbreviations wouldn't not bother me.. But the long winded over the top..stuff that no sod can really know because most are made up as they go along.and a lot have multi meanings... that's what gets to me most

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I substitute and tutor high school aged teens. I had one bring me a paper to read over one time that was nothing but text writing (abbreviations, contractions, acronyms, and crap i don't even think there is a classification for!) I wrote him a note on the back in red ink that stated: "Are you serious? If I were your teacher and you turned this into me not only would you get a zero (just for clarification, that's long hand for '0') I would also initiate a process for you to be either moved to remedial English and every English teacher you have had since second (again that's '2nd') grade called in for review, or suspended. Do it over and remember that real English is K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid)!"

Edited by Apollyon3000
  • Like 2

Lighten up, people. If you use a long name or phrase or what have you, it's okay to shorten it for the rest of the discussion. Not everyone is willing to type, for example, "the Supreme Court" instead of SC over and over. It's quicker and easier to use an acronym if the person you're talking to knows its meaning. If you don't know its meaning, look it up. I'm sure there are add-ons that let you Google a word or learn its meaning in a few clicks.

I think it can be a bit overwhelming to join a forum or debate you don't know much about and see all the new acronyms, but they exist for a reason, and it's not to befuddle outsiders or have a secret code language. I'm sure if you ask them what the acronyms mean, they'll be glad to help you.

Buzzkill? :(

Buzzkill? :(

Kind of. If it comes down to someone writing Supreme Court instead of 2 letters in its place, or me having to do some research into figuring out what they are saying; come on.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

I usually get heckled by even my older friends because I'll text full sentences complete with punctuation. Commas, apostrophes, quotation marks, I've even used the colon and semicolon before. :lol:

Most of the time here at UM I'll use contextual acronyms like BF or Biff for Bigfoot or ETH for extraterrestrial hypothesis because most people understand those, especially when the topic deals directly with the acronym. Any other time though I don't usually use them. And if someone is texting directly to me then I'll flat out ignore them for using text speak. My daughter does all of that when texting or on facebook with her friends but with me she texts complete words, if not complete sentences. (it's still a work in progress :P ) I just think it makes people look dumb and lazy although I may just be getting too old. :whistle:

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 2

Well, as I said, acronyms exist for a reason. Everyone in a discussion about the Supreme Court knows what SC means, everyone on a pregnancy forum knows what DH means, everyone in a Middle East discussion knows what KSA and UAE mean, and so on. "Insiders" use acronyms all the time, but I can see why an outsider would feel discouraged from joining a discussion.

It took me under half a dozen clicks and 10 seconds to look up the meaning of DH, though from the context in BM's post it was obvious to me what it meant. Who's the lazy one? I don't like text speak either, but acronyms, as long it's not ridiculously impossible to guess or look up their meaning, are OK, IMO. ;)

It took me under half a dozen clicks and 10 seconds to look up the meaning of DH, though from the context in BM's post it was obvious to me what it meant.

I am a DH and even I didn't know what it meant. :lol:

• Like 1