Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Karlis

UFO footage from Discovery. May 1991

20 posts in this topic

hmmm....always in for cheap thrills, i was tricked into watching by the word "shocking", but then: nothing. The shuttle is really fast in orbit, how could that stuff floating about be anything else than pieces of space debris flying by? And how come the "thermal" effect is also on the shots of the control centre in the beginning???

I just wasted three minutes and thirty six seconds of my life I can't get back... All I see thing that look like ice an other debris.

Good video. Though I don't see how people can say that it is debris or ice that is flying around. They seem to be accelerating out of our atmosphere and if I'm correct, debri falls from space, it isn't projected into space.

Just a thought to consider, folks: Instead of just watching the videos as posted, click on the Youtube link, and read the comments by other viewers there. Some insightful comments there, imo.

Maybe their thoughts and ideas are useful for further conversation here?

Karlis

hmmm....always in for cheap thrills, i was tricked into watching by the word "shocking", but then: nothing. The shuttle is really fast in orbit, how could that stuff floating about be anything else than pieces of space debris flying by? And how come the "thermal" effect is also on the shots of the control centre in the beginning???

And the effect is also on everything else at the end. What a crap video

1 person likes this

Just a thought to consider, folks: Instead of just watching the videos as posted, click on the Youtube link, and read the comments by other viewers there. Some insightful comments there, imo.

Maybe their thoughts and ideas are useful for further conversation here?

Karlis

Instead of directing us to read other comments on youtube why not post your own thoughts on this crappy video to start a discussion?

what makes space debris shoot upwards away from our atmosphere? :alien:

Instead of directing us to read other comments on youtube why not post your own thoughts on this crappy video to start a discussion?

Vitruvian12, I personally have zero expertise in this field. That is why I asked input from people who -- hopefully -- have a grounding in such fields. If you are one such person, fine. What are your thoughts -- apart from thinking of "crap"?

Posted (edited)

Even more eyrie; why are the operatives ranting on about technical details of instrumentation when all those items are flying past?

They never even comment! After the first object flies away, the operative appears to pause (see 0:37) Can't say whether he is pausing because of the object or not?

Most bizarre.

Edited by zoser

Even more eyrie; why are the operatives ranting on about technical details of instrumentation when all those items are flying past?

They never even comment! After the first object flies away, the operative appears to pause (see 0:37) Can't say whether he is pausing because of the object or not?

Most bizarre.

Yes -- if one reads the comments from Youtube ... there are quite a few such issues noticed by viewers. One or two comments seem to be from people with relevant expertise. Which is why I suggested reading the Youtube comments earlier.

Most bizarre.

I noticed that also. I don't think that are allowed to comment on these thing because of the pressing nature. But a good video none the less

That was some "shocking" video of space debris..

what makes space debris shoot upwards away from our atmosphere? :alien:

I think thats a trick of the perspective. All the objects seem to move in a similar direction so I would guess thats simply the path of orbit.

Posted (edited)

I think thats a trick of the perspective. All the objects seem to move in a similar direction so I would guess thats simply the path of orbit.

Hello Vitruvian,

I am not convinced to be honest. I have watched it again a few times, I still think we have different directions (against suggested orbit) on some of these objects. Probably best seen at 2.10 and 2.40-2.55.

Why does the camera follow this debris? (maybe thats standard practice?!)

Edited by quillius

Posted (edited)

Hello Vitruvian,

I am not convinced to be honest. I have watched it again a few times, I still think we have different directions (against suggested orbit) on some of these objects. Probably best seen at 2.10 and 2.40-2.55.

The object at 2 10 seems to be tumbling, reflecting sunlight as it does. The footage at 2 40 and on is hard to make anything out of, its blurry and has nothing to reference the movement in it.

The camera also moves when there are no object present in the frame so perhaps thats just the movement of the shuttle, it isnt stationary after all

Edited by vitruvian12

The object at 2 10 seems to be tumbling, reflecting sunlight as it does. The footage at 2 40 and on is hard to make anything out of, its blurry and has nothing to reference the movement in it.

The camera also moves when there are no object present in the frame so perhaps thats just the movement of the shuttle, it isnt stationary after all

ok points noted, I will review the footage again with your notes in mind. :tu:

Hello Vitruvian,

We've seen these alot on Shuttle missions. Little peices of Hydrazine Ice can form from a leaky valve in the Vernier Thrusters and they get expelled from the combustion chamber out the Nozzle of the thruster and away from the Shuttle. How they exit determines what direction they travel to an extent but basically in the general direction the Nozzle faces away from the Shuttle. Jim Oberg has talked about this a bit.

We've seen these alot on Shuttle missions. Little peices of Hydrazine Ice can form from a leaky valve in the Vernier Thrusters and they get expelled from the combustion chamber out the Nozzle of the thruster and away from the Shuttle. How they exit determines what direction they travel to an extent but basically in the general direction the Nozzle faces away from the Shuttle. Jim Oberg has talked about this a bit.

thanks LS. I do see what both you and Virturian are suggesting, I do think I could see one that seemed to rise from a different direction..up and out form the atmosphere (or at least appeared that way...I suppose this goes back to Virturians perspective comment), and also in the latter part I am sure some of these 'objects' travelled downwards on screen and did not seem in line with the other debris that was travelling at similar speeds, in a similar direction and appearing to come form the same direction.

Kinda real but i'm not believing 100%.