Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is the internet slower when it's raining?

Flibbertigibbet

Has anyone noticed this or is it just me? I mean really heavy rain for hours on end. It's like wading through treacle at times.

• Like 1

It would depend on your connection. Wireless, Sat or cable. I would assume the first two would be slower or even effected by rain and lightening.

Rainy day = more people inside, surfing web.

lol

• Like 1

Rainy day = more people inside, surfing web.

lol

That's what I thought too. I wouldn't have though technology would be much affected.

I know someone who has connection problems when there's clouds around. They block his signal.

Edited by Still Waters

Either too much traffic or bad signal.

I have satellite TV at home and when the weather get really bad I sometimes experience problems.

Shouldn't happen too often though. If it's a common thing for you and it's not about traffic, I suggest you check with your ISP.

That's what I thought too. I wouldn't have though technology would be much affected.

I was kinda kidding. It's probably a combination of bad weather affecting connections, and real busy servers. Damp weather affects the static electricity around us... I think.

Either too much traffic or bad signal.

I have satellite TV at home and when the weather get really bad I sometimes experience problems.

Shouldn't happen too often though. If it's a common thing for you and it's not about traffic, I suggest you check with your ISP.

Maybe I'll suggest that to the school. Not that it's a major problem, just a mild hassle sometimes.

I reckon it's because that in Cheshire once the trails get flooded, it's difficult for the Pony Express to get the signal distributed!

s3686.gif

• Like 1

I live in Seattle where it rains all the time. Internet is no slower when it rains, nor is it faster when the sun is out.

Has anyone noticed this or is it just me? I mean really heavy rain for hours on end. It's like wading through treacle at times.

If you have satellite internet then the rain will effect the signal level making the speed slower

If you have telephone DSL, the outside connections may be getting water into them, which will slow the speed down

IF water is NOT getting into the DSL system, then your internet will run fast regardless what the weather is

Edited by Beckys_Mom