Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Big Bad Voodoo

Enstein view on religion of the future

13 posts in this topic

Einstein: The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.

Immortality? There are two kinds. The first lives in the imagination of the people, and is thus an illusion. There is a relative immortality which may conserve the memory of an individual for some generations. But there is only one true immortality, on a cosmic scale, and that is the immortality of the cosmos itself. There is no other.

Whats your opinion?

He needs to stick to physics...

1 person likes this

Einstein had opinions like any other person.

1 person likes this

Einstein: The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge.

Immortality? There are two kinds. The first lives in the imagination of the people, and is thus an illusion. There is a relative immortality which may conserve the memory of an individual for some generations. But there is only one true immortality, on a cosmic scale, and that is the immortality of the cosmos itself. There is no other.

Whats your opinion?

The problem today in people is that they perceive knowledge as intelligence. Of all the explanations of God the one part that seems common in all of them is that we are part of God.

In today's world to many people are taking the computer as their only supply of information and accepting it as gospel.

Children need to learn for themselves without the influence of adults. This is becoming a thing of the past as children are no longer allowed to go on their adventures due to health and safety reasons. The problem is that when something is presented to some people on the computer, a lot will take it as the truth without first understanding what it is.

We live in an infinite existence were nothing is impossible. The more we reason with the environment we live in the more we understand and the more depth we can probe with our minds.

To think what is infinite may appear confusing if we were to believe there is an infinite point. If there was a beginning, does this mean there has to be an end or is it just part of a process were both mind and matter evolve into a another dimension so placing us closer to either finding or creating a form of God.

To feel contentment and allow your inner self to flow into a world of imagination and believe anything can happen or exist may be the key we need to move us towards the level of perfection. To know why we are here is something we need before we can go to the next level.

Eventually we may become God.

The problem today in people is that they perceive knowledge as intelligence. Of all the explanations of God the one part that seems common in all of them is that we are part of God.

In today's world to many people are taking the computer as their only supply of information and accepting it as gospel.

Children need to learn for themselves without the influence of adults. This is becoming a thing of the past as children are no longer allowed to go on their adventures due to health and safety reasons. The problem is that when something is presented to some people on the computer, a lot will take it as the truth without first understanding what it is.

We live in an infinite existence were nothing is impossible. The more we reason with the environment we live in the more we understand and the more depth we can probe with our minds.

To think what is infinite may appear confusing if we were to believe there is an infinite point. If there was a beginning, does this mean there has to be an end or is it just part of a process were both mind and matter evolve into a another dimension so placing us closer to either finding or creating a form of God.

To feel contentment and allow your inner self to flow into a world of imagination and believe anything can happen or exist may be the key we need to move us towards the level of perfection. To know why we are here is something we need before we can go to the next level.

Strong first post...welcome.

For some reason this made me laugh.

By the way, Einstein believed that the universe is God. He said that he considers the universe to have orchestration.

He also believed in determinism which proved to be false. :angry:

Whats your opinion?

An excellent opinion from a legendary intelligent man! However, he clearly does not know buddhism that well at all. Buddhist scriptures do refer to reward and punishment, in certain branches of it, reincarnation can be reward or punishment, clearly to avoid coming back as an insect or something as bad karma is just as much avoided by practioners of the faith as is any other practitioner of a faith leading good lives seek reward and avoid punishment.

We do the same outside of a religious context in our every day mundane lives. We work harder to receive more award, avoid being anti social in order to respect others & fear of legal retribution ie punishment!

Einstein clearly a great physicist but not a theist or a philosopher!

lol, you know he's dead right? He's not sticking to anything these days. He was right when he said "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

I say that all the time myself. Course I'm an altruist, so eh. ;)

lol, you know he's dead right? He's not sticking to anything these days. He was right when he said "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

I say that all the time myself. Course I'm an altruist, so eh. ;)

Every learned person seems to have an opinion on religion but not a single one of them has studied it. It's like every scholar having an opinion on physics...nearly all of them would sound stupid. People need to stick to their areas of study. Not even having finished my BA, I can tell you he is totally wrong. There is no progression of religion, no direction, no ration, no knowledge, no logic. It continues to exist how it always has. At the height of science we are also at the height of religious belief in America. The New Atheist movenment, the new religious fundamentalists, totally contradict Enstein's view...like I said, he needs to stick to physics...

1 person likes this

Whats your opinion?

Hi I'm new :)

I think there is a certain beauty to his statement. To me it seems to come from some deep longing.

Wendi

Hi I'm new :)

I think there is a certain beauty to his statement. To me it seems to come from some deep longing.

Wendi

Welcome to UM both of you

It's like every scholar having an opinion on physics...The New Atheist movenment, the new religious fundamentalists, totally contradict Enstein's view...like I said, he needs to stick to physics...

This is the result of the modern worship of the analytical thinker as being the most superior form of intelligence.

Now that more studies are being done on intuitive thinking, and the fact that too much of either inhibits the functioning of the other, that will change over time. People are given to extremes though, and their belief that there can never be too much of a good thing. I just hope it does not swing crazily in the other direction to the worship of a famous intuitive thinker, with thousands of people moving into communes, beating drums, and eating grass or something.

like I said, he needs to stick to physics...

And like I said, he is dead, he isn't sticking to anything :w00t: