Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lightning or something else?

95-Nasty

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this...

This is the second time this has happend the first was about a month ago the second was last night.

I live in South Devon, Paignton, Torbay, England. My bed room window faces 'South West'. It was as id got into bed, It was 11:52pm and was lead ther in bed thinking, i could sleep for a week, i was that tiard. When my bedroom lit up like a camera flash or lightning. It continued to light up (Bright white light), flashes, no regular pattern. (its was like Flash, flash, flash... seconds passed... flash, flash, seconds passed flash... seconds passed flash, flash, flash and so on for about a minunet). I waited and heard no noise (was expecting to hear thunder). Then i went to the window and looked out.... Waiting to see the next flash or flashes... But nothing! I stood there for a good ten minunets and still nothing! I checked the weather report in the morning and couldnt see any Thunder or Lightning storm, ive asked my neighbours and they were asleep at that time! Likei said this was the second time. The first time was about a month ago and was about 12:30 ish am. Both times was when id just got into bed.

Does anyone have an explaination or thoughts on this?

Edited by 95-Nasty

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rafterman

• 95-Nasty

• Purplos

• ChrLzs

A few thoughts:

Were you actually asleep? Did you dream the whole thing?

Was there a police or other emergency vehicle outside your window?

Could it have been cloud to cloud lightening? Usually not accompanid by thunder but can light up the sky pretty dramtically.

Could it have been flashes from cameras? A group of pubbers heading home perhaps?

Edited by Rafterman

Does your window face a street or is there a street nearby? Could've been a transformer blowing on a pole nearby... they're bright.

Thanks for replying.

I sleep in my bedroom, curtins closed, im on a hill and overlook Houses and fields, no roads with in at least 200 or 300 yards (from the bedroom window) No way it could be camera flashes as my whole room lights up and im too far away from any neighbours that arnt asleep. Its all very quiet no noises at all (no cars, no people etc).

Not sure about 'cloud to cloud lightening? Usually not accompanid by thunder but can light up the sky pretty dramtically.' as i dont know anything about it, but i am wake when it starts and it finished soon as i look out the window (before i can see what it is). Also add i wasnt drinking or on drugs.

Thanks for replying.

I sleep in my bedroom, curtins closed, im on a hill and overlook Houses and fields, no roads with in at least 200 or 300 yards (from the bedroom window) No way it could be camera flashes as my whole room lights up and im too far away from any neighbours that arnt asleep. Its all very quiet no noises at all (no cars, no people etc).

Not sure about 'cloud to cloud lightening? Usually not accompanid by thunder but can light up the sky pretty dramtically.' as i dont know anything about it, but i am wake when it starts and it finished soon as i look out the window (before i can see what it is). Also add i wasnt drinking or on drugs.

Check it out:

As far as it stopping just as you look out the window - well, there is such thing as coincidence.

Wow thanks 'Rafterman' great clip of cloud to cloud lightning, the random flashes etc would explain what i saw. Thanks so much for posting it, i did think it was lightning of some sort but as i didnt hear any thunder i wasnt sure. This would explain it thanks again.

Wow thanks 'Rafterman' great clip of cloud to cloud lightning, the random flashes etc would explain what i saw. Thanks so much for posting it, i did think it was lightning of some sort but as i didnt hear any thunder i wasnt sure. This would explain it thanks again.

No problem - on of the coolest things I ever saw was a evening flight from NYC to Atlanta where we flew right down the coast. There was this massive storm front along the entire coast and the clouds were lighting up all the way down. It was incredible - until we had to descend through it to land that is.

Ill bet that was a sight to see, but very scary if your up in the air with it! Thanks again.

I live in the semi tropics, and that type of lightning is pretty common here. When it is directly overhead and close (low clouds), you *may* hear the thunder, but if it is further away, either geographically or simply by being in higher clouds, it can be eerily silent, even though still *very* bright, and capable of the effect you described.

If not, maybe it's the next door neighbours with a camera flashgun..