Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans must find new planets to survive

Still Waters

Humans must find other Planets etc......To me this is not a top priority.If we found a human sustainable planet tomorrow its not going to do us any good as we havn't yet got the tech know how ,to get there,we are infants in space tech,maybe in the future when we learn how to go even to planets/moons in our own system,we can branch out in a few generations time but not by anyone alive today..Sorry folks we are stuck with what we have..

I wonder sometimes if we have given up on space,i read about grandiose schemes and missions all the time but thats it.Space exploration has been put on the back burner by NASA,happy now just to send a robot off into space every 10 or 20 years.

At this rate it will be another thousand years or so before man sets foot out of our solar system.

As a species we are doomed.

There should come a day, when the global consensus is that we need to expand to other solar systems. Our sun won't last forever, that part I think everyone agrees on. So then why is it, that it is not a serious concern to advance technology so we can expand, and preserve humanity in the galaxy?

The way I see it, the sun is a ticking timebomb and we've got a limited amount of time to extend our reach if we want to keep this successful experiment of life alive.

There maybe plenty of life in the Galaxy,and we won't be joining it any time soon.

Don't watch this space.

The way I see it, we die, we die. We don't, we don't. Death is Inevitable, so why make it wait? If there really is a "God" then he/she wouldn't let any of this happen. If there is no "God," then why try to prevent something that can't be avoided? If the Earth is doomed, then it is. That's, that.

Im not saying we shouldnt be looking for other planets to live on, but theres so much we can do in the mean time. we should try building underwater civilizations in the sea, conquer nature and thrive in the most inhospitable places on the earth. As for space, lets build orbiting civilizations and try to inhabit the moon. These are all tempory solutions that will have alot of difficulties in suceeding, but once we accomplish all this, we will have learnt so much more about foreign enviroments. Why should we think about running before we can walk.

Armchair Educated, you make some excellent points. The challenges you present here are likely equivalent to those we would encounter on another planet. The attitude of needing to move on is so typical of our throw-away society that has placed us in a precarious position to begin with. We'll just leave this piece of trash behind, I guess. This contemplation doesn't even address the liklihood of other life already existing on the planet we plan to invade, making us the evil aliens, come to conquer another world. Suppose we meet with resistance? I'm always struck by how on one hand we disregard the notion of other worldly visitors, and at the same time make plans to blast off ourselves, all the while relentlessly pursuing time travel. This whole scenario makes the possibility of little gray guys being our future generations even more plausible.

With the exception of Khrono, most people here are missing the point.

This is not something we are going to be doing tomorrow. The technology required to colonize the galaxy is centuries, maybe even millennia away.

This is not about the short term mistakes we are currently making. If those are to be our downfall then we will be extinct long before we leave this rock. IT is if we come through these tricky times that we will need to expand amongst the stars.

The end of the sun is a bit of an irrelevance, there are 4 billion years before that happens, if we aren't already amongst the stars by then it will be because we are already extinct.

The real issue is population. One planet can hold only so many people. Once a species can expand no more it will stagnate. At some point we will need to expand through the solar system and then beyond. Just as fish left the sea to occupy the land we will leave this one world and become a star fairing species. We will take the most important evolutionary step any species on this planet has made in billions of years.

Whilst these steps are still a long way off that doesn't mean we can't slowly move towards that point. As Confucius said, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". We need to continue exploring space. We also need to continue to train our telescopes on the sky. We only confirmed the the existence of a planet around another star in 1992, in the 20 years since we have discovered more than 760. There are billions of worlds out there waiting for us.

Carl Sagan described the human race as "a way for the universe to know itself", I agree with that. I would suggest that the pessimists, the ones calling for an end to the human race, are part of the problem, not the solution. Our future will, I hope and believe, belong to those who look to the stars and dream. We have amazing potential. We have minds that can understand the structure of the smallest sub-atomic particle and the largest galactic cluster. We have engineers and architects that can produce machines that can fly us to the moon or construct vertical cities where you can look down on the clouds. We have doctors that can fix broken bodies and cure once fatal diseases. We have artists that with coloured chemicals or a piece of rock and a chisel produce works of awe inspiring beauty. We have musicians, authors, cinema. We are amazing. We deserve the universe and the universe deserves us.

• Like 3

With the exception of Khrono, most people here are missing the point.

This is not something we are going to be doing tomorrow. The technology required to colonize the galaxy is centuries, maybe even millennia away.

The first sentence in the OP set the tone for what most had to say, though.

Finding planets outside our solar system that can sustain life should be made a top priority, say Australian astronomers.

It's extremely hard to entertain the idea of taking a micro-step toward a goal when we have pressing current problems that if not given precedence, well, we will be extinct far before we leave this rock.

The first sentence in the OP set the tone for what most had to say, though.

As I said, missing the point. Context is important here, this was a group of astronomers writing in a journal for other astronomers. This was NOT a call to make this a priority for mankind, but a priority for astronomy. Very different things.

It's extremely hard to entertain the idea of taking a micro-step toward a goal when we have pressing current problems that if not given precedence, well, we will be extinct far before we leave this rock.

No it's not, it's very easy to entertain the idea. Mankind is capable of multi-tasking. It is not an either/or situation and no one is saying that we should do this INSTEAD of trying to sort out our problems.

They can keep looking around outside.

I'll keep looking inside.

As I said, missing the point.

when these two points of view are reconciled... we will make progress

Most people here are missing the point. If the human race confines itself to one place...one planet...it is guaranteeing its long-term extinction. Major extinction events happen, on average, about every 100 millions years. Some are as short as 35 million years and its been about 60 million years since the last extinction event. It could happen anytime...perhaps an eruption of the yellowstone supervolocano tomorrow triggers the eruption of one or more other supervolocanos in the next year and life on earth is practically eradicated. Perhaps a supernova blows up on our side of the galaxy, or perhaps the earth gets radiated by a pulsar blast originating from an event that happened 600 million years ago in a neighboring galaxy, or the earth in the way of a cosmic superhighway and alien regulatory bodies have just given the go-ahead for our demolition in the interests of faster commuter routes.

I'm not saying we need to pack up and move tomorrow, in fact we won't have the technology to do so for a couple of hundred years. But it is a goal we should be working towards, while at the same time trying to make our home planet a better, more sustainable place to live.

The sun will eventually blow up in 4-5 billion years, but if we stay on earth, humanity would be long extinct by then.

• Like 1

Good posts Waspie and Horus, Its a shame that humans dont live long enough to see the results of their endeavours,but our kind (barring accident/oblivion by ourselves)will one day go to the stars.

Its a shame that humans dont live long enough to see the results of their endeavours

I would love to see these things come to pass as much as the next man, but as a species we seem to have become very impatient and short sighted. This was not always the case, in fact it is a recent development.

All around Europe you will see amazing cathedrals. These were at the cutting edge of technology in their day and they took generations to build. People were prepared to design and work on constructions they knew it was unlikely their grandchildren would live to see completed. They did it for the glory of God. Now even as an atheist I find that dedication awe inspiring. If we could find just a fraction of these people's vision and dedication, look towards the future and start building for the glory of mankind then our species future amongst the stars would become inevitable.

Agreed Waspie, The people them days did seem more dedicated,but they didnt have the problems todays people have,like going 20/30 miles to work in "rush" hours,no mortgages,but they did pay rent to the local Land Lord and of course Money,which seems to be the "thing" that everyone hasnt enough of..

Agreed Waspie, The people them days did seem more dedicated,but they didnt have the problems todays people have,like going 20/30 miles to work in "rush" hours,no mortgages,but they did pay rent to the local Land Lord and of course Money,which seems to be the "thing" that everyone hasnt enough of..

Maybe that didn't have mortgage payments and traffic jams to worry about but they did have famine and plague. I know which I would prefer.

i think it would be wrong to take those things out into the cosmos..

i think the human is quarantined on earth for those reasons..

i think many people are missing the point, but starting to get it..

Hmm... What about LIMITING BIRTH!?

i think it would be wrong to take those things out into the cosmos..

i think the human is quarantined on earth for those reasons..

i think many people are missing the point, but starting to get it..

I'm really not sure what the point is that you think people are beginning to get. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to inject some reality here and repeat myself.

We are not going to be able to leave this planet for centuries. If the problems are as bad as some are claiming we will be long extinct before then. If not then we are likely to have gone at least some way to solving them. Either way your argument is an irrelevance.

As to being quarantined, what nonsense. We are not quarantined, we just don't have the capability to travel amongst the stars yet.

Hmm... What about LIMITING BIRTH!?

How do you propose that is done? Who chooses who can breed? That way lies totalitarianism, stagnation and eventual extinction.

Wow ! THis is where Space meets the Place ! Were soon to not even need to worry ! THe clock is running,Humans will need to evolve quite a bit before we even try to move off planet ! Tech, social,which is all in the Mental part of our new needs on this world.

Maybe we really could use a mentor ? Call Earth E.T We need your help ! :innocent:

Maybe we really could use a mentor ? Call Earth E.T We need your help ! :innocent:

He's not very good at finding a phone.

I don't mean to come across as a pessimist but i'm almost positive we will be long extinct before we will need the sustainability of a new planet. people as a whole are impatient, arrogant, ignorant and completely driven by the material world. i look around today and i see billions upon billions spent killing each other off while more die hungry, i see religion poisoning the minds of the short-sighted and spreading ignorance, and i see people in general who when it comes down to it don't give a damn about the next man and will crap on your grave if you cross him. the human race is destructive and greedy. we ARE a virus and although we have done amazing things we have also done and continue to do truly horrible things that i feel in the end will lead to our demise. we are still extremely primitive and things are only getting worse. hell if we didn't have law enforcement people would be literally killing each other in the streets. wait, they already do. how can a race that doesn't respect themselves or their environment be capable of going out and preserving themselves. it can't and won't happen. i realize i come across as very narrow minded but i've had faith in humanity for many years but at this point i just want a rock to come along and smoke us all into oblivion. do not take this as a reflection of my character cause i'm an honest and caring person, i may be very opinionated but i would give the lesser man the shirt off my back if it kept him warm. that doesn't change the reality of things though.

edited for swearing

Edited by freeman88

maybe time will come itself and must start now....territory is going rough as they say... like china on philippines...

I don't mean to come across as a pessimist but i'm almost positive we will be long extinct before we will need the sustainability of a new planet. people as a whole are impatient, arrogant, ignorant and completely driven by the material world. i look around today and i see billions upon billions spent killing each other off while more die hungry, i see religion poisoning the minds of the short-sighted and spreading ignorance, and i see people in general who when it comes down to it don't give a damn about the next man and will crap on your grave if you cross him. the human race is destructive and greedy. we ARE a virus and although we have done amazing things we have also done and continue to do truly horrible things that i feel in the end will lead to our demise. we are still extremely primitive and things are only getting worse. hell if we didn't have law enforcement people would be literally killing each other in the streets. wait, they already do. how can a race that doesn't respect themselves or their environment be capable of going out and preserving themselves. it can't and won't happen. i realize i come across as very narrow minded but i've had faith in humanity for many years but at this point i just want a rock to come along and smoke us all into oblivion. do not take this as a reflection of my character cause i'm an honest and caring person, i may be very opinionated but i would give the lesser man the shirt off my back if it kept him warm. that doesn't change the reality of things though.

edited for swearing

Hey freeman88 all good points indeed,one thing though If man ever gets off his high horse and evolves into a star traveling being,I would think we will of grown past the trivial mess we see all around us today. Its time to teach our children about potentials,about the far reaching goals we are so cappable of.Its just a very long way down the street to the pharmasist.

And space is really,really Big so we should be looking as well as we can. Even expaand our tech to look even futher !

Great opinion,and Waspie is always right on mark ! Seeyaz !justDONTEATUS :clap:

Hopefully we will achieve some ethical improvement before we accomplish the technology to spread our seed any further.

If we had Invested in Space the amount of money we have spent on Weapon systems to kill each other since world war 2.Then i'm pretty sure we would have bases on the moon and maybe on Mars by now....