Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shosanna Dreyfus

My Friend's Possibly Spooky Encounters

7 posts in this topic

Not having anything of my own, I have been given permission by my friend, let us call him 'mon ami', to share some of his (and his family's) possibly spooky encounters here. I am doing this merely to share some of his encounters which I find interesting and creepy. Neither I or mon ami are trying to convince anyone else of anything. He accepts that first hand experience can't be proven to others (certainly not secondhand and over the internet) and although he thinks of them as possibly spooky encounters, he also concedes that more rational things like suggestion, hallucination, tricks of light or sound and that sort of thing could easily account for all his experiences.

Mon ami's mother possibly once lived in a haunted house when she was young (I think it was Nitshill in Scotland but his mother died a few years ago and had broken off contact with the rest of her family a few years before that). It was mon ami's uncle that would speak of it when he was growing up. The uncle said that someone had supposedly died in the house and that when you went over a door sometimes, there was a cold chill that would come over you. The uncle also talked of trying to sleep in his bedroom at night and feeling something pulling at the bed covers. The uncle also said that he had friends round to stay the night once who did not believe him, but it happened to them too and had them convinced after that experience.

The first personal spooky encounter mon ami remembers is when his school year went on a class trip to the island of Arran in Scotland. He was in primary six at the time and so was around eleven or so. The class stayed at a guest house which was in the middle of the countryside (at least he doesn't remember any nearby houses or shops around during his stay) which sold religious themed books. The dormitory that mon ami and five other boys stayed in for around five days was possibly called 'The Murray Room' as that is his surname and he remembers one of the guest house people joking that he knew which room mon ami would be going into.

Mon ami tells that as he was trying to get to sleep that first night, he began to think he could see something ghostly. This was quite a few years ago now, so mon ami's memory is a little hazy in some areas. He can't remember what he first saw, but he tried to ignore it and then the other boys started to say they could see things. Another boy called Paul claimed that he could see a man in highland dress dancing at the foot of mon ami's bed. He also claimed to see a ghostly book floating with it's pages turning. Mon ami and Paul talked of this event a couple of years later when they were both in the same secondary school. Paul still stood by what he had claimed but thought that everyone else (including mon ami) had just started chiming in, pretending to see things after he began to mention it. Another boy called Gary related the following day that he was horrified to see someone with a big head sitting at the foot of his bed (mon ami and Gary stayed in contact for a good few years and talked of their memory of that night a good few times and so this is something that Gary related a few times over the years). What mon ami does remember seeing was a skull moving (roughly the same area where Paul described the floating book) with it's jawbone opening and closing. He said it wasn't like a real solid skull but a flat image like an x-ray picture. One of the other boys told mon ami to put the light on as they were all getting quite collectively hysterical over what they were all seeing, but mon ami said that he was too frightened and just clutched his covers, his mouth chattering "I can't!". Eventually this noise attracted both the headmistress and their class teacher to come into the room to see what was going on. When mon ami told them that they had seen ghosts, the headmistress simply growled "Rubbish!" at him. After the teachers went away, Paul led the boys in saying a prayer for the ghosts to go away and everyone tried to just settle to sleep after that, with no more reports of seeing anything. But mon ami tells me that he could see yellow round eyes all around him as this was going on and so he just resolved himself to keep his eyes shut so he wouldn't see anything else.

Although most of the boys claimed to see something, they didn't all see the same things and some of them seemed to think that they were the only ones who had really seen something and the others were just joining in. Although there were no more group encounters (or hallucinations) over the other nights of the school trip, mon ami remembers that every night after that, he would always wake up as he was falling out of bed and that he would scramble back into bed again and just hug his covers tight. He regrets that as some years have passed, that he can't remember everything he saw or that others claimed to see as fresh as he once could. Now that he's older, he realises that it could have been some sort of group hallucination or group suggestion and that some of the things he definitely saw could have been imagination or tricks of the light. But he still remembers seeing the floating skull image and the yellow eyes and thinks that it was no coincidence that he awoke as he was falling out of bed every night after that. He is aware of how people can imagine things that aren't there and accepts that it can be safely and rationally dismissed in such a way, but he says he still remembers it as a ghostly incident and can't rule out completely that it may have been exactly that.

I'll continue with more recent encounters for my friend and his family at another time (including one that allegedly happened to both his parents), as I don't want to my post to be too long.

1 person likes this

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Haim at m'daberet ivrit?

And thank you for reading :)

That was entertaining. It really took me back to spooky stories we told with a torch around campfires late at night as a kid, I think alot would have similar memories.

As you say, the tyranny of time and the susceptibility of young minds doesn't really allow for this to be "verified" in any real way but I am all for "anecdotal" evidence of the paranormal being added to the body of literature - for the benefit of psychology and statistics on beliefs et al or other as not yet imagined useful purposes. Besides we all like a good creepy story for it's own sake too.

I really enjoyed it, thank you.

Thank you for reading.

In 1999, my friend (who I shall again call 'mon ami')'s parents bought a new house in a quiet village in Scotland. His parents spent a few nights there doing work on the house before they were due to move in. During that time they learned from neighbours that a girl who was murdered had lived in the house previously. The murder didn't happen at the house itself, but the local unmanned train station. A paedophile, who had been released back into the community, spied her from his house just across from the train station and could see she was alone. Although the girl was of mature age, her friends said that she looked younger than her years. The man killed her and tried to destroy the evidence by hiding her in a shed next to the station and setting fire to it. Mon ami has since spoken to a fair number of people locally who remember the murder (and understandably aren't keen to talk about it) and remember the girl, so that is true enough. After that tragedy, the train station had cameras fitted and there is a restaurant there now, although it is still an unmanned station. The person who owned the house before my friend's family turned out to be a flasher who exposed himself to passing trains from the front window (the train track is just across the road) and the police once turned up looking for him, unaware that he had moved out.

Mon ami's mother told him that the first night they slept in the house, they thought they heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She played this down though (probably so as not to frighten him about the house he was going to be living in) as the walls between houses are thin and it is easy to hear sounds from next door. However, after his mother passed on, mon ami heard his father telling others about the first night and how something had pulled down the covers between the parents (who were sleeping on the floor with just a few covers) and how the mother had become alarmed at this and wanted to leave. But apparently the father (who claims to get premonitions sometimes) told her that it was just the girl who lived there before, wanting to see who was moving into her house. Mon ami says that sometimes down in the kitchen at night, he did feel as if there was a presence and that he felt as if someone was standing just behind him or over his shoulder. And sometimes he would not like to go down to the kitchen (or even into the hallway) at night. However he does admit that this could easily be imagination or suggestion and it didn't happen all that much. He did have a few nightmares involving ghosts fairly early on (one involving the door of his bedroom bursting open and another of seeing a old fashioned dressed woman through the window, who seemed to be able to change shape) but realises that could easily be coincidence or because of what he'd been told already. Most of the time, he assures there is nothing to make him think the house is haunted.

When mon ami and his family moved in, they already had some cats (who have all since died due to the failing health of old age) and at some point they took in a young cat who started coming round their property (not a stray but the owner was happy to let the cat go to a new owner). This cat was killed on the street outside due to getting frightened by a speeding car. Mon ami's father has told the story of how the toys that this cat used to play with were put away in a box, but one night the father heard sounds of scuffling and balls rolling (just as they did when the cat was alive and used to play with them) and came downstairs to find all the toys out of the box and scattered on the floor (as this is secondhand to my friend, I'm not sure where the box had been kept). The father also claimed to have once seen his dead parents upon watching him once when he woke up from sleep (and my friend knows that such things could be put down to simple hallucination but his father believes in such things). Another time, when mon ami was oversleeping later than usual, his father came into the room to see if he was okay and said that he got woken up earlier by his deceased wife shouting her son's name (my friend doesn't know any reason why this would be the case as far as warnings or anything of that sort go and it was a while ago with nothing of note happening since).

A few years ago, mon ami was in the bathroom in the evening, when he got that sense of when someone has come up to the door on the other side. Then he heard a knock on the bathroom door and assumed it was his father. But then he realised that he could hear his father downstairs, taking the rubbish out of the bin in the kitchen. Mon ami accepts that the sound of his father downstairs could have travelled or that he could have imagined the incident (he was neither thinking of or expecting anything of the sort but had been watching the old BBC adaption of M.R. James' 'Whistle And I'll Come To You' on YouTube earlier that evening). He did feel that the sound was on the door and different to the sounds that came from downstairs though. My friend realises that none of his own experiences are anything spectacular and could easily be explained away. He is on the fence about them, open to the fact that rational down to earth explanations are easily given but also open that it could have been something else (like a sign from his deceased mother in the case of the door knock). I think that's everything that I have to share about my friend's experiences. Like I said, they're easily explainable and nothing major, but I thought it would be interesting to share them anyway for those who like reading possible ghost experiences. My friend does not subscribe to any organised religion and is fairly agnostic but when he dreams about visits from his dead cats or deceased mother, he does like to be open to the possibility that this is their way of visiting him again.

Thank you for reading.

In 1999, my friend (who I shall again call 'mon ami')'s parents bought a new house in a quiet village in Scotland. His parents spent a few nights there doing work on the house before they were due to move in. During that time they learned from neighbours that a girl who was murdered had lived in the house previously. The murder didn't happen at the house itself, but the local unmanned train station. A paedophile, who had been released back into the community, spied her from his house just across from the train station and could see she was alone. Although the girl was of mature age, her friends said that she looked younger than her years. The man killed her and tried to destroy the evidence by hiding her in a shed next to the station and setting fire to it. Mon ami has since spoken to a fair number of people locally who remember the murder (and understandably aren't keen to talk about it) and remember the girl, so that is true enough. After that tragedy, the train station had cameras fitted and there is a restaurant there now, although it is still an unmanned station. The person who owned the house before my friend's family turned out to be a flasher who exposed himself to passing trains from the front window (the train track is just across the road) and the police once turned up looking for him, unaware that he had moved out.

Mon ami's mother told him that the first night they slept in the house, they thought they heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She played this down though (probably so as not to frighten him about the house he was going to be living in) as the walls between houses are thin and it is easy to hear sounds from next door. However, after his mother passed on, mon ami heard his father telling others about the first night and how something had pulled down the covers between the parents (who were sleeping on the floor with just a few covers) and how the mother had become alarmed at this and wanted to leave. But apparently the father (who claims to get premonitions sometimes) told her that it was just the girl who lived there before, wanting to see who was moving into her house. Mon ami says that sometimes down in the kitchen at night, he did feel as if there was a presence and that he felt as if someone was standing just behind him or over his shoulder. And sometimes he would not like to go down to the kitchen (or even into the hallway) at night. However he does admit that this could easily be imagination or suggestion and it didn't happen all that much. He did have a few nightmares involving ghosts fairly early on (one involving the door of his bedroom bursting open and another of seeing a old fashioned dressed woman through the window, who seemed to be able to change shape) but realises that could easily be coincidence or because of what he'd been told already. Most of the time, he assures there is nothing to make him think the house is haunted.

When mon ami and his family moved in, they already had some cats (who have all since died due to the failing health of old age) and at some point they took in a young cat who started coming round their property (not a stray but the owner was happy to let the cat go to a new owner). This cat was killed on the street outside due to getting frightened by a speeding car. Mon ami's father has told the story of how the toys that this cat used to play with were put away in a box, but one night the father heard sounds of scuffling and balls rolling (just as they did when the cat was alive and used to play with them) and came downstairs to find all the toys out of the box and scattered on the floor (as this is secondhand to my friend, I'm not sure where the box had been kept). The father also claimed to have once seen his dead parents upon watching him once when he woke up from sleep (and my friend knows that such things could be put down to simple hallucination but his father believes in such things). Another time, when mon ami was oversleeping later than usual, his father came into the room to see if he was okay and said that he got woken up earlier by his deceased wife shouting her son's name (my friend doesn't know any reason why this would be the case as far as warnings or anything of that sort go and it was a while ago with nothing of note happening since).

A few years ago, mon ami was in the bathroom in the evening, when he got that sense of when someone has come up to the door on the other side. Then he heard a knock on the bathroom door and assumed it was his father. But then he realised that he could hear his father downstairs, taking the rubbish out of the bin in the kitchen. Mon ami accepts that the sound of his father downstairs could have travelled or that he could have imagined the incident (he was neither thinking of or expecting anything of the sort but had been watching the old BBC adaption of M.R. James' 'Whistle And I'll Come To You' on YouTube earlier that evening). He did feel that the sound was on the door and different to the sounds that came from downstairs though. My friend realises that none of his own experiences are anything spectacular and could easily be explained away. He is on the fence about them, open to the fact that rational down to earth explanations are easily given but also open that it could have been something else (like a sign from his deceased mother in the case of the door knock). I think that's everything that I have to share about my friend's experiences. Like I said, they're easily explainable and nothing major, but I thought it would be interesting to share them anyway for those who like reading possible ghost experiences. My friend does not subscribe to any organised religion and is fairly agnostic but when he dreams about visits from his dead cats or deceased mother, he does like to be open to the possibility that this is their way of visiting him again.

I liked the remake of 'Whistle and i'll Come To You' with John Hurt.I remember a time where the BBC was famous for its ghost story telling.The Dickens classic The Signalman was another that made the transition to television quite well,with the late great Denholm Elliott starring in it.You have some good stories.

John Hurt is perfect for that sort of thing. I enjoy a few of the older shows. I still think Nigel Kneale's original TV version of Quatermass and the Pit is an amazing piece of work and I've heard good things about his 1970s TV film The Stone Tapes.