Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Mara lays upon me.

hooko22

I wrote up a new article after researching a creature people were talking about the other day. Quite creepy article about a hag called the Mara. Hope you guys like it and perhaps it might help the girl who was asking about it the other day.

http://www.themysterybox.org/mara/

• Like 1

Nice article. That's a pretty good description of some experiences of sleep paralysis.

I know this because it's pretty much an exact description (apart from the female aspect, I felt my nighttime visitor to be male) of my first experience of sleep paralysis - the feeling of something evil sitting on your chest, the pressure pushing down on your chest, the paralysis, the confusion and fear, etc. I couldn't feel but could hear the breath of the little evil gremlin thing sitting on me.

It's also interesting that you said that they have a reputation for being able to escape via small holes and crevises. I'd never heard that before, but I thought I heard the gremlin thing scuttling away across the floorboards and scratching his way under the door or between the floorboards to make his escape.

Sleep paralysis is one of those things that has to be experienced to really appreciate it. I have no doubt given my own experiences that a lot of alien visitations, ghost sightings, etc. can be explained by it. I truly thought I had had a paranormal encounter for along time after that experience.

Nice article. That's a pretty good description of some experiences of sleep paralysis.

I know this because it's pretty much an exact description (apart from the female aspect, I felt my nighttime visitor to be male) of my first experience of sleep paralysis - the feeling of something evil sitting on your chest, the pressure pushing down on your chest, the paralysis, the confusion and fear, etc. I couldn't feel but could hear the breath of the little evil gremlin thing sitting on me.

It's also interesting that you said that they have a reputation for being able to escape via small holes and crevises. I'd never heard that before, but I thought I heard the gremlin thing scuttling away across the floorboards and scratching his way under the door or between the floorboards to make his escape.

Sleep paralysis is one of those things that has to be experienced to really appreciate it. I have no doubt given my own experiences that a lot of alien visitations, ghost sightings, etc. can be explained by it. I truly thought I had had a paranormal encounter for along time after that experience.

Yep the mara/mare is thought to be an early explanation for sleep paralysis

My partner used to suffer from old hag syndrome so I've done quite a lot of research into it. Also a friend of mine once told me in confidence that he'd been attacked in his room by some evil witch thing. He thought he was going mad but I told him about the Mara and how its been happening to people for years.

My brother had it happen to him once and he said it's the single most scary thing that's ever happened to him...

The sleep paralasys theory is what I firmly beleive - but i'll admit it just sounds like a bit of a cop out when you think people have been dreaming about the same scenario, with the same antagonist for centuries...

Thanks mate. Can't really say that I have experienced this myself but boy I can beleif it must suck.

Yep the mara/mare is thought to be an early explanation for sleep paralysis

It was also thought to be the reason for unruly infants who cried alot during the night. That is the polish hag mentioned in the article.

My partner used to suffer from old hag syndrome so I've done quite a lot of research into it. Also a friend of mine once told me in confidence that he'd been attacked in his room by some evil witch thing. He thought he was going mad but I told him about the Mara and how its been happening to people for years.

My brother had it happen to him once and he said it's the single most scary thing that's ever happened to him...

The sleep paralasys theory is what I firmly beleive - but i'll admit it just sounds like a bit of a cop out when you think people have been dreaming about the same scenario, with the same antagonist for centuries...

Well perhaps it is a cop out but keep in mind the Mara might be more famous then others but there have been all sorts of creatures that woke people up in the middle of the night.

• 1 month later...

This is such a good way of describing some aspects of sleep paralysis, I do have experienced something similar.

I always suffer from sleep paralysis, not been able to move in my sleep etc. But only once have I experienced the "Mara".

I once woke up (still dreaming) and I couldn't move due to something heavy on my chest. When I looked up there was a small, dark figure sat on my chest, crouching over. I couldn't tell if it was male or female, but it's eyes were looking straight into mine. I didn't really feel that scared though, because the pressure pushing down on my body just made me exhausted so I fell back asleep easily. I remember it very well though and always will, very strange

I don't think I'd ever sleep again if I experienced sleep paralysis! Sounds truly terrifying.

does anyone else see words or sentences scribbled on the walls when they awak from paralysis. Its when my eyes trying to focus after i awake from one of these things and i look when im blinking i see words and sentences drawn on my walls in black. freaks me out. i have upside down crosses and band art all over my walls but this is different. can make out sentences and words and ****.

does anyone else see words or sentences scribbled on the walls when they awak from paralysis. Its when my eyes trying to focus after i awake from one of these things and i look when im blinking i see words and sentences drawn on my walls in black. freaks me out. i have upside down crosses and band art all over my walls but this is different. can make out sentences and words and ****.

I had something like this happen to me once, so yes. I remember "waking up", unable to move, and seeing a bunch of unrecognizable letters drift down the wall. Pretty dang creepy.

That said, I don't doubt that it was a waking dream, or whateverthehellelse they're called.

This is such a good way of describing some aspects of sleep paralysis, I do have experienced something similar.

I always suffer from sleep paralysis, not been able to move in my sleep etc. But only once have I experienced the "Mara".

I once woke up (still dreaming) and I couldn't move due to something heavy on my chest. When I looked up there was a small, dark figure sat on my chest, crouching over. I couldn't tell if it was male or female, but it's eyes were looking straight into mine. I didn't really feel that scared though, because the pressure pushing down on my body just made me exhausted so I fell back asleep easily. I remember it very well though and always will, very strange

Ive experienced something similar a few years ago while at vacation at my grandmas house in south carolina. This was not too long after my great aunt passed away. I went to sleep with the radio on at around 2 o clock at night. At some pont i woke up, it felt like a breeze was blowing on me real chilly, and it sounded like when the wind is blowing hard and its whistling. but the window was closed and this was summer. anyways, It was a dark humanoid figure, looked like it was right above me. Whatever it was, held it hand out and moved it above me th whole length of my body, i was ****in scared! this happened for just a few seconds which actually felt way longer. i couldnt move but i could see it clearly a shadowy figure. anyways after a few seconds i snapped out of it and everything was normal. i made sure to stay up till sunrise to go to sleep after that lol. ive had bad dreams throughout life and sleep paralysis on and on for years but never anything like this.