Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Trek fan plans to build the Enterprise

Still Waters

A Stark Trek fan has a message for humanity: Can we boldly go where no man has gone before - and build a fully-functioning Starship Enterprise?

Visit BuildTheEnterprise.org, and you may believe you have stumbled upon the blueprints of a NASA-funded project, so complete and fully-fledged are the blueprints.

Every detail of the first Enterprise has been planned out to the smallest degree, from the inner workings of the 'gravity wheel' to the coverings on the exterior shielding, as well as the outline of the first ten missions and the political problems that will have to be overcome.

http://www.dailymail...p-20-years.html

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pallidin

• wolfknight

• Lady Llayne

• Junior Chubb

Pfft. "It will never get off the ground". Seriously.

But, if they could make it "float" or place it on a cruiseliner etc, then it would make a great global travelling attraction and would be so much fun spending 2 weeks "cruising" around as a member of the crew of the "Enterprise" :yes:

I want one :)

Seems llike a much better idea rather than building a replica of the Titanic.

Sigh, does this make anyone else sad? Honestly there are no words

OK more money than sense

Something such as this would have to be built in Space. We do not have the technology to fly this type of craft in earth atmosphere and gravity. IF and it's a very large IF they could figure out a way to build a space port, of which they had thousands of workers building this in space, then his means of propulsion etc may be plausible.

Unfortunately, we don't have a massive space port, nor thousands of capable workers to work in space. We find it a major challenge simply building the ISS in space. This would have to be done in a similar fashion but on a much MUCH grand scale. Build pieces here on earth, transport them to the space port, and install up there. We're hundreds if not thousands of years away from this I'm afraid.

I suppose if the Earth mega powers all worked together and jointly funded this there could be a chance. Imagine the outcome of all the technology and advancements that would take place. The cheapest way to get the pre-built parts to space would be to actually build the Space Elevators we've discussed elsewhere, and many other amazing things would have to be built out of a necessity to accomplish the greater goal.

It'll never happen lol

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

I like the idea someone posted about starting it out as a sea going cruise ship. That seems VERY doable, and fun. I would definitely buy a ticket to cruise the oceans in it.

Good point as well :)

20 years the guy says. Of course new technological advances will come alone in those 20 years to add to the plan.

As cool as this would be, I don't think any one person on Earth has enough money to do this. It would require so much manpower and new technologies, I imagine it would total in the trillions.

The right idea. Wrong ship. Hyperion class heavy cruiser.

post-9259-0-93710900-1337154927_thumb.jp

hate to say this but to make a working USS Enterprise is impossible . just take a look of the shape of comet/asteroid . those are the shape carved from long journey through space

Let’s hope that a working FTL propulsion system is developed within the next 20 years. Then the maiden voyage can coincide with a Vulcan first contact :-)

1st off StarShip are built in space at a space dock.2nd off The amount of energy that would be needed to launch a ship that size from the ground is imposssible at this time. This person has a serious pipedream. Can't see it happening in my lifetime.

While I think there are far more socially worthy projects that one could spend money on I still find this guys idea interesting. While we fight endless wars for greed and arrogance the drive that has made humanity great is being lost. We, as a species are too caught up in the mundane grasp for power and money to embrace the sense of wonder and exploration that forced out of our caves and hovels.

I can only agree with those who mention building this in space. It will be like when I made the biggest space ship in the history of my childhood Lego building career, as soon as it left the ground it broke apart.

when do we build star wars star destroyers?

Now that seems far more sensible to me :yes:

You can read the whole article on www.BuildTheEnterpise.org. His plans do call for the ship to be assembled in space and to use an ion propulsion drive instead of FTL technology. His claim is that by using a very small amount of constant thrust in space where there is no friction will allow the ship to accelerate constantly reaching greater speeds than with conventional chemical thrust engines. Interesting website to read but I don't have a spare trillion dollars laying around...

well with the inflatable Bigalow technology, perhaps you can even make it bigger....and cheaper. So its not impossible.