Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

Let's see if this works:

Manuscript 001-050

http://www.rodinbook...ipt001-050.html

Manuscript 051 -100

http://www.rodinbook...ipt051-100.html

Manuscript 101 - 150

http://www.rodinbook...ipt101-150.html

Manuscript 151 - 210

http://www.rodinbook...ipt151-210.html

For some reason I got redirected wrongly using the links in my former post, but both those and the ones here are ok now....

:blink:

Edited by Abramelin

Can you give me a link to the site you are using?

I use Knul's transliteration here:

http://www.rodinbook...anscriptie.html

Or the original here:

http://www.oeralinda...boek/index.html

I think your page numbering is wrong.

I'm not using any website, but Goffe Jensma's book Het Oera Linda-boek, where there are photos of every page in the original manuscript.

But you will find it at the Tresoar website also. Type pagina 98, then you will get the manuscript's page 96.

Edited by Apol

I'm not using any website, but Goffe Jensma's book Het Oera Linda-boek, where there are photos of every page in the original manuscript.

But you will find it at the Tresoar website also. Type pagina 98, then you will get the manuscript's page 96.

I did (post 3199) and still no Wralda spelled with -VV-

Look for yourself :

http://images.tresoar.nl/bibl-collectie/boeken/oeralinda/groot/pagina.php?p=98&pm=212

Edited by Abramelin

In fact, it might have been branches she fetched, and threw into a heap, so that the children could walk on them.

:tu:

krill (n.)

1907, from Norwegian kril "small fry of fish."

http://www.etymonlin...searchmode=none

Kril

Levendig, opgewonden; ook in minder gunstigen zin: ongestadig, grillig.

Lively, excited, also in less favorable sense: unstable, erratic.

Also connected with 'krioelen' = to swarm

http://gtb.inl.nl/iW...=WNT&id=M035543

P.A.F. van Veen en N. van der Sijs (1997), Van Dale Etymologisch woordenboek

kril* [levenslustig] {1562-1592} verwant met kriel

kril* [lively] {1562-1592} related to kriel

http://www.etymologi.../trefwoord/kril

OK, so what have we got now? A lively wood? An unstable erratic bush? Unstable land?............ :blink:

I was just going on this you originally posted, testing it and I think it works well.

"kreupelhout", English: undergrowth, underwood, brushwood

'Kreupel' (this 'kreupel') is 'crawl' or 'wriggle'in English. Here: entangled wood/braches near the ground.

Kriel is an old Dutch/Frisian word for something small, or crawling/creeping around 'near the ground'.

crawl (v.)

c.1200, creulen, from a Scandinavian source, perhaps Old Norse krafla "to claw (one's way)," from the same root as crab (n.1). If there was an Old English *craflian, it has not been recorded. Related: Crawled; crawling.

• Like 1

The end of the third line from the bottom!

I think I need glasses... yes, you are right.

So we have Wr-alda/Wralda most of the times, and a couple of times VVr-alda/VVralda.

+++

EDIT:

Well, Knul, maybe you should start editing:

30 HJU -TRAGD HELP TO LЄ [p. 134] NANDE ÆND WR

31 - ALDA SKIL JO KREFTA JЄVA - ÐЄR HIPÐ

32 HJU NЄI T KRYL-WOD - GRIPT ELSNE TRЄJON

Edited by Abramelin

OK, so what have we got now? A lively wood? An unstable erratic bush? Unstable land?............ :blink:

I was just going on this you originally posted, testing it and I think it works well.

Just think of 'creepy crawly' critters. small and lively, swarming. Entangled underwood, like the bramble. If you have a garden, you'll ''love'' bramble, lol.

I think I need glasses... yes, you are right.

So we have Wr-alda/Wralda most of the times, and a couple of times VVr-alda/VVralda.

+++

EDIT:

Well, Knul, maybe you should start editing:

It looks to me like it's meant to be a W - they have written the first part of the W, a V - then dipped their ink pen, then drawn the 2nd V of the letter W shape, which because they stopped and dipped their ink pen, (you can see by the darker 2nd V) is not quite joined in the middle.

Edited by The Puzzler

Just think of 'creepy crawly' critters. small and lively, swarming. Entangled underwood, like the bramble. If you have a garden, you'll ''love'' bramble, lol.

OK, got the picture.

It looks to me like it's meant to be a W - they have written the first part of the W, a V - then dipped their ink pen, then drawn the 2nd V of the letter W shape, which because they stopped and dipped their ink pen, (you can see by the darker 2nd V) is not quite joined in the middle.

It may have been caused by the ink pen used, but even then we should copy exactly as it is written in the MS, errors and all.

Well, that's what I think.

It may have been caused by the ink pen used, but even then we should copy exactly as it is written in the MS, errors and all.

Well, that's what I think.

It's just 2 parts of the letter not joined correctly imo - the word is Wralda, it would be strange to suddenly have VV there, which looks just like a W. The 2 x V's nearly touch each other. I would never have thought it was 2 x V even though it does look somewhat like it - so maybe the translators never thought it was either.

It's just 2 parts of the letter not joined correctly imo - the word is Wralda, it would be strange to suddenly have VV there, which looks just like a W. The 2 x V's nearly touch each other. I would never have thought it was 2 x V even though it does look somewhat like it - so maybe the translators never thought it was either.

Well, I'll have to agree with Apol: it does indeed look like VV not a W. It may be caused by the ink pen, it may be caused by a typo, whatever.

But I am still convinced the letter -W- was part of the OLB alphabet, or else it would not show up as a single letter in that Yule wheel I posted.

You know, the letter -W- that was left out of the letter sheet of the original MS. Along with the letter for -GS- , btw.

Like 'wriggle' or wrigga... the crawling animals were wrigga - wrigglies - things that wriggle - then underwood is krylwood - so kryl wood as crawl wood is ???? even though there is some probable connection - Fryan distinctly has wriggle for crawling animals.

To fâra wrdon er âk tha selva wrigga fonden, maer vsa êthla havon alle krylwalda vrbaernath aend alsânâka aefter et wilde kwik jâged, that ther fê maer resta.

Formerly there existed also the same crawling animals, but our forefathers burnt all the underwood, and so diligently hunted all the wild animals, that there are scarcely any left.

---------------------------------------------

OK, here's what I've been looking for.... (I was saying about it's shape, like a curve)

krâw-il

3, krâw-el, krõu-l, afries., M.: nhd. Haken, Gabel; ne. hook (N.), fork (N.);

Vw.: s. -kru-m-b; Hw.: vgl. as. krauwil*, kreuwil*, ahd. krewil, krouwil*, mnl.

krauwel; E.: s. germ. *krub-, V., krümmen; idg. *greub-, V., krümmen, biegen,

kriechen, Pokorny 389; vgl. idg. *ger- (3), V., drehen, winden, Pokorny 385; L.:

Hh 60a, Rh 878b

krâw-il-kru-m-b

3, krâw-el-kru-m-b, afries., Adj.: nhd. hakenkrumm, krumm wie

ein Haken; ne. crooked like a hook; Q.: E, W; E.: s. krâw-il, kru-m-b*; L.: Hh

60b, Rh 878b

I just had to bend my sounds abit to locate it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The origin of the word crewel is unknown but is thought to come from an ancient word describing the curl in the staple, the single hair of the wool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewel_embroidery

Edited by The Puzzler

Well, I'll have to agree with Apol: it does indeed look like VV not a W. It may be caused by the ink pen, it may be caused by a typo, whatever.

But I am still convinced the letter -W- was part of the OLB alphabet, or else it would not show up as a single letter in that Yule wheel I posted.

You know, the letter -W- that was left out of the letter sheet of the original MS. Along with the letter for -GS- , btw.

Yeah, in WRALDAS name.

Didn't Otharus once talk about it being a double U? (became a W or something). Also a V could relate to it being VER in the transfer of wer/man - but it was too much of a headache and the V in that world doesn't seem Fryan/Frisian.

I'm still just going for it being a W and really don't need to waste time on that one.

93-23_zps0fd0ab07.jpg93-23_zps0f78147b.jpgpag98_zps48fcae4c.jpg99-2_zps4a454dee.jpg

100-12_zpsfb2017a1.jpg128-31_zps99476f7f.jpg142-9_zpsa50e0f77.jpg189-10_zpsada28f47.jpg

The name is written in different ways:

Vvralda, Vvr.alda, Wr.alda, Wralda, Wr alda, Wr.aldi, Wr.ald

8 times with VV, 93 times with a W

Edited by Apol
  • Like 1

I even see a correction by adding an extra -V- .

So it clearly was no typo or slip of the pen.

93-23_zps0fd0ab07.jpg93-23_zps0f78147b.jpgpag98_zps48fcae4c.jpg99-2_zps4a454dee.jpg

100-12_zpsfb2017a1.jpg128-31_zps99476f7f.jpg142-9_zpsa50e0f77.jpg189-10_zpsada28f47.jpg

The name is written in different ways:

Vvralda, Vvr.alda, Wr.alda, Wralda, Wr alda, Wr.aldi, Wr.ald

8 times with VV, 93 times with a W

W is a ligature of VV or UU. Just a matter of spelling without difference of meaning.

W is a ligature of VV or UU. Just a matter of spelling without difference of meaning.

We know that the -W- is the joining of two V's, but was it also considered to be a unique letter in the OLB?

I think it is.

Edited by Abramelin

We know that the -W- is the joining of two V's, but was it also considered to be a unique letter in the OLB?

I think it is.

I think it is.

In most cases W is written like in ower, witskap etc. I guess that the spelling VV has been used to make the text look older or to discern with WRALD = World.

Edited by Knul

In most cases W is written like in ower, witskap etc. I guess that the spelling VV has been used to make the text look older or to discern with WRALD = World.

YES, and that's what I think too.

Any real ancient text in NW Europe uses UU or VV throughout the text.

Btw, this thread is of course for a very large part about Frisians and Friesland.

LOL, I didn't even realize it, but the flag of the city I live in for some decades now has this flag:

post-18246-0-67784000-1364499618_thumb.g

Comment on a website: "(...) apparently connected to the famous Frisian "pompebledden".

A more modern version:

post-18246-0-62674300-1364499714_thumb.g

And when I look out of my window on the south, I see streets called Westergo, Oostergo and Fivelingo...

I am doomed.

Note also on page 96 of Tresor the word is written treon , and not trejon .( last word on page )

Are the wiggly lines in some parts of page 96 , and in other places ,supposed to indicate that the original document was damaged , and he could not read it to copy it ??

if so which one was damaged the one saved from the flood presumably ,but could it have been the copy was damaged later ??

You could look at it that way Knul , but you could also think it was possible that when it was copied because it was damaged in the 13th Century , he updated some of the letters/words to what was currently being used in his time , but missed a few V Vs, if he was saving it for future generations he could have changed quite a few ancient words for ones being used in the 13th C , he may have thought if he left them as ancient versions , no one would understand them in a few years , perhaps this could explain why some think the language is too modern in a few cases . ??

Edited by NO-ID-EA

Note also on page 96 of Tresor the word is written treon , and not trejon .( last word on page )

Are the wiggly lines in some parts of page 96 , and in other places ,supposed to indicate that the original document was damaged , and he could not read it to copy it ??

if so which one was damaged the one saved from the flood presumably ,but could it have been the copy was damaged later ??

Very good observation, No !

Damn, now I am seriously thinking of visiting an optician.

Those wiggly lines are (according to Knul) some sort of notification for a printer: leave this blanc.

They show up everywhere in the MS.

+++

EDIT:

Knul, I think you should edit this too:

Like NO-ID-EA said, it should be TRЄON.

Page 96 of the MS (scroll down to bottom of the page) :

http://images.tresoar.nl/bibl-collectie/boeken/oeralinda/groot/pagina.php?p=98&pm=212

Edited by Abramelin

You could look at it that way Knul , but you could also think it was possible that when it was copied because it was damaged in the 13th Century , he updated some of the letters/words to what was currently being used in his time , but missed a few V Vs, if he was saving it for future generations he could have changed quite a few ancient words for ones being used in the 13th C , he may have thought if he left them as ancient versions , no one would understand them in a few years , perhaps this could explain why some think the language is too modern in a few cases . ??

From what I learned, the members of the family Over de Linden should COPY the ancient MS, not change it according to their whims.