Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

I overlooked something:

If you are right, Apol, then the date of the submergence of Aldland is still 2194: 1255-3449=2194 BCE.

And what is much more interesting is that then that flooding Hidde mentioned in that letter happened in 1254 CE.......and like I have posted in this thread, there was indeed a flood on the Dutch, English and Belgium coasts in 1254 CE (mentioned by Martin Paris).

Correction:

The guy's name was Mattheus Paris, and the floods took place at the coast of Flanders (and England?) in 1254:

http://www.unexplain...85#entry4019241

+++

EDIT:

(Sandbach:)

OKKE MY SON—

You must preserve these books with body and soul. They contain the history of all our people, as well as of our forefathers. Last year I saved them in the flood, as well as you and your mother; but they got wet, and therefore began to perish. In order not to lose them, I copied them on foreign paper.

In case you inherit them, you must copy them likewise, and your children must do so too, so that they may never be lost.

Written at Liuwert, in the three thousand four hundred and forty-ninth year after Atland was submerged—that is, according to the Christian reckoning, the year 1256 1255.

Hiddo Hidde, surnamed Over de Linda.—Watch.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#aa

"Last year" would then be 1254 CE.

Edited by Abramelin

I am half way through Col. Charles Vallancey's " The Vindication of the Ancient history of Ireland ........one of the points he makes very clear in this book is that because most of the MS about the Irish that have been found , are automatically thought to have referred to happenings which occurred in Ireland , and therefore places and tribes and kings names were made to fit that stance.

However Vallancey explains his belief that the Irish were originally African Ethiopians , who became Indians , who became Persians , who became Scythians , who became Phoenicians, who moved to Oman, and mixed with Arabians before eventually migrating to the British isles ,before being conquered again , where half of them were ousted to Scotland , and half to Ireland , where their records eventually ended up.......and from then on all their history they brought with them is thought to have happened in Ireland.................... whereas only the very last part of their history has anything to do with Ireland .

At one point he explains the Magog-ians and the Gomer-ians learning Magick and Sorcery from the Persians/Medes , and becoming the spiritual leaders of the Greeks, but then they lost a war against the Assyrians , who's spiritual leaders were Druids ( thats what it says ?) , and from this they fled Greece .....with the Gomerians coming to Scandinavia , and the Magogians coming to the British isles and pushing out the Irish , as mentioned before to Scotland and Ireland.

Just thought it sounded like the incoming of the Magi from OLB , so thought i would mention it .

Edited by NO-ID-EA

All that seems to have been more an inspiration for O'Connor's "Chronicles of Eri" than for the OLB:

http://en.wikipedia....ronicles_of_Eri

And if those Magy went to Ireland, why doesn't Ireland show up anywhere in the OLB?

As I have shown the ancient Irish did know of Lochlan, their name for what is now roughly the coastal area between Flanders and Denmark, a name they much later used for Scandinavia (here: the homeland of the Vikings).

The Chauci and Menapii went to Ireland and settled there. So did old Frisians, and some thought that these old Frisians were the Fomorians. One leader of the Fomorians was called "Bhreas" or Bres, "the Frisian".

It is known the Frisii and Chaucii raided the North Sea coasts many centuries before the Vikings started doing the same.

http://oeralinda.blo...ainly-knew.html

Edited by Abramelin

I call it nonsense.

It will not explain the OLB word "salt-atha".

The OLB word "salt" is constantly used in the meaning of "salt", the OLB word "atha" constantly means 'friend'.

It had nothing to do with 'power', or 'powerful king' or 'solid'.

Using OLB lingo, the word "salt-atha" - or "saltatha" as it is also written - can only mean 'salt friends', or 'friends of the salt'. And from what I gather reading the OLB, the word is always in connection with seafarers and battle.

I think a modern equivalent would be 'marines'.

Well, salt-atha is soldiers in the translations.

Not that I want to drag on about it all but the word atha in there is relative to oath - that's how it is friends - friends shares no etymology with atha,

Also used in the part with Minerva, an oath of kind has been formed between the two groups, therefore they were received - as friends (of oath - agreed on to be friends/made an oath).

At first they ran away, but when they found that we did not attack them, they came back and showed great friendship. Min-erva asked if we might settle there peaceably. This was agreed to on. the condition that we should help them to fight against their neighbours, who came continually to carry away their children and to rob their dwellings. Then we built a citadel at an hour’s distance from the harbour. By the advice of Min-erva it was called Athens, because, she said, those who come after us ought to know that we are not here by cunning or violence, but were received as friends (âtha).

salt-atha therefore might have another meaning than atha being friends exactly. You showed it meant juryman yourself back a few posts.

êtha (1) 1 und häufiger, ê-th-a, afries., sw. M. (n): nhd. Eideshelfer, Eidhelfer; ne. compurgator; Vw.: s. even-; Hw.: s. a-th-th-a; E.: s. ê-th; L.: Hh 22a

êtha (2) 1, ê-th-a, afries., sw. V. (1): nhd. beeidigen?, beschwören?, vereidigen; ne. testify an oath; Hw.: vgl. ahd. eidōn; Q.: W; E.: s. ê-th; L.: Hh 22a, Hh 155, Rh 719b

(See the dictionary looks different)

oath (n.) dictionary.gif Old English að "oath, judicial swearing, solemn appeal to deity in witness of truth or a promise," from Proto-Germanic *aithaz (cf. Old Norse eiðr, Swedish ed, Old Saxon, Old Frisian eth, Middle Dutch eet, Dutch eed, German eid, Gothic aiþs "oath"), from PIE *oi-to- "an oath" (cf. Old Irish oeth "oath") http://www.etymonlin...x.php?term=oath

Edited by The Puzzler

The OLB uses a word, "atha", for 'friends', and it uses it all over the MS.

So I go by that.

-

"You showed it meant juryman yourself back a few posts."

Really??

+++

EDIT:

I checked, and I can't find the post where I did, according to you.

Edited by Abramelin

The OLB uses a word, "atha", for 'friends', and it uses it all over the MS.

So I go by that.

-

"You showed it meant juryman yourself back a few posts."

Really??

+++

EDIT:

I checked, and I can't find the post where I did, according to you.

Post #4047.

In reality it means something entirely different:

a-th-th-a 40, a-t-t-a, e-t-t-a* (2), afries., sw. M. (n): nhd. Geschworener; ne.

juryman; Vw.: s. dik-, *e-, un-e-, ze-r-k-, -man-n; Hw.: s. ê-th-a (1); Q.: R, W, S,

Schw; E.: s. ê-th; W.: nfries. aita

I don't disagree it ' means' friend and is used as such - but it's not really 'friend' coming from friend etymology but a friend must have been someone you took oath with originally and used as such in that form in the language of the OLB, which means the definition for atha as friend would be somewhat different than ' friend' so could be utilised in the language in more than one form of what we know as ' friend'.

You can actually find the true word 'friend' in the OLB:

They said they were his friends

Thahwila Jes-us lêre vr irtha for, gvngon tha falxe prestera nêi-t lând sinra berta sin dâd avbêra, hja sêidon thaet hja fon sinum frjundum wêron

Edited by The Puzzler

Ah, that's the one. No wonder I forgot about that post because I really didn't agree with that etymology myself.

-

Yes, the OLB also uses a very Germanic word for friend, but it also uses "âtha" (friends) when it tries to explain the name "Athens".

I don't know about you, Puzz, but I still haven't found any Old Frisian (or any other Old Germanic) source using "âtha" in the meaning of 'friends'.

My father was born in Brabant, one of the two southern provinces of the Netherlands, and when he spoke in his dialect, he used "atte" or "atta" when he was talking about his father.

As you can see here, it dates from quite ancient times (Gothic) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_language#Examples

There's this Frisian boy's name, "Atte", and it means 'noble':

http://www.allebabynamen.nl/jongensnamen/a/atte

But then there is also a (Frisian/German) boy's name, "Atta", and it means 'father'.

http://www.allebabynamen.nl/jongensnamen/a/atta

Btw: the modern Frisian word for 'father' is "heit"

Ah, that's the one. No wonder I forgot about that post because I really didn't agree with that etymology myself.

-

Yes, the OLB also uses a very Germanic word for friend, but it also uses "âtha" (friends) when it tries to explain the name "Athens".

I don't know about you, Puzz, but I still haven't found any Old Frisian (or any other Old Germanic) source using "âtha" in the meaning of 'friends'.

My father was born in Brabant, one of the two southern provinces of the Netherlands, and when he spoke in his dialect, he used "atte" or "atta" when he was talking about his father.

As you can see here, it dates from quite ancient times (Gothic) :

http://en.wikipedia....nguage#Examples

There's this Frisian boy's name, "Atte", and it means 'noble':

http://www.allebabyn...ensnamen/a/atte

But then there is also a (Frisian/German) boy's name, "Atta", and it means 'father'.

http://www.allebabyn...ensnamen/a/atta

Btw: the modern Frisian word for 'father' is "heit"

You're right, couldn't find any atha as friends. (juryman speaks/works etc under oath imo - so is relative in that way)

That is when I looked elsewhere for the word and it's etymology, based in Frisian and my conclusion is the word atha is connected to oath. Which in the paragraph about Athens imo could be construed as an oath of friendship and protection. This subject is a big part of Critias (Plato) ending, to whit I see a similarity in the way people were 'friends' - they made oaths.

The word 'friend' is related to love, free etc - it's a different type of friendship and may not indicate the way the Athenians were, not ' friends' but ' friends/oath kin)

atta as father and associated words is an enigma of it's own, but Huns use the same word.

Edited by The Puzzler

atta as father could be a form of alt imo.

Thinking also that the OLB says salt became sat for those who spoke like the Greeks, and the sailors I think.

alta would be 'atta' meaning at all times - highest.

Then to the word father would be a natural thing since he would have been the highest member of an immediate family and God the Father in Heaven, which is high-up.

Somehow I'd not be surprised if atta is a form of alta.

Another obscure etymology is atoll, a protection or barrier, a shield, which in itself sounds like a father and sounds relative to Atlas in his Atlantis mention.

Edited by The Puzzler

Something caught my eye here:

Etymology

From Middle English ooth, oth, ath, from Old English āþ (“oath”), from Proto-Germanic *aiþaz (“oath”), from Proto-Indo-European *oyt- (“oath”). Cognate with Scots aith, athe (“oath”), North Frisian ith, iss (“oath”), West Frisian eed (“oath”), Dutch eed (“oath”), German Eid (“oath”), Swedish ed (“oath”), Icelandic eið (“oath”), Latin ūtor (“use, employ, avail”), Old Irish óeth (“oath”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oath

salt-atha could be people employed to work for salt.

Related terms

:w00t:

• Like 1

Something caught my eye here:

Etymology

From Middle English ooth, oth, ath, from Old English āþ (“oath”), from Proto-Germanic *aiþaz (“oath”), from Proto-Indo-European *oyt- (“oath”). Cognate with Scots aith, athe (“oath”), North Frisian ith, iss (“oath”), West Frisian eed (“oath”), Dutch eed (“oath”), German Eid (“oath”), Swedish ed (“oath”), Icelandic eið (“oath”), Latin ūtor (“use, employ, avail”), Old Irish óeth (“oath”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oath

salt-atha could be people employed to work for salt.

Related terms

:w00t:

Or to work producing salt , wasn't that island next to Gadiz on the old map (cant remember which one though ) but the one where Abe was pre-occupied with Al Jazeira showing on it , called salt ?, but my memory is really bad i am afraid !

found the other day that the king of Palmyra circ 258/267 CE , was Oden-Athus , his wife was Zenobia Julia Aurelia Septima , Athenasius states she was Jewish in the "Historia Arianorum ad Monachus) which is also stated by Theodoret and Photius, .......after Odenathus was murdered , she procaimed herself Augustus ,and claimed the state of Palmyra (which included Governance of Syria , Egypt and Palestine at that time ) to be independant of Rome and Persia.

but Oden-atha makes you wonder if his God was Odin . ie friend of Odin

Lucius Septimius Odaenathus, Odenathus or Odenatus (..), the Latinized form of the Syriac Odainath

(...)

His full name was Lucius Septimius Odainath. some opinion says that his name was of Aramaic origin., while another opinion says that his name is derived from the Arabic word "Odaina" which means "Little Ear". His gentilicium Septimius shows that his family received the Roman citizenship under an emperor of the Severan dynasty, and thus it was the leading family in Palmyra since the 190s. He was the son of Lucius Septimius Herod (Hairān), the "senator and chief of Tadmor", the son of Vaballathus (Wahballath), the son of Nasor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odaenathus

I already know what other 'Germanic' name you will recognize in that quote, lol (hint: it starts with a -W-...)

And, btw.... you know what the island of Rhodes is called in the OLB? It's "Hrodus". Herod is called "Herodes" in Greek and Dutch.

"Glass of water for Mr. Grainger!!" (= Jaylemurph, lol)

Or to work producing salt , wasn't that island next to Gadiz on the old map (cant remember which one though ) but the one where Abe was pre-occupied with Al Jazeira showing on it , called salt ?, but my memory is really bad i am afraid !

Ah ok, I see it now:

Cadiz_Idrissi2_zpsbd1122c0.jpg

I got a bit distracted by the "Al-Gézira" name.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227240&st=3465#entry4730375

The name of the island appears to be Saltis with a diacritic on top of the S.

Edited by Abramelin

found the other day that the king of Palmyra circ 258/267 CE , was Oden-Athus , his wife was Zenobia Julia Aurelia Septima , Athenasius states she was Jewish in the "Historia Arianorum ad Monachus) which is also stated by Theodoret and Photius, .......after Odenathus was murdered , she procaimed herself Augustus ,and claimed the state of Palmyra (which included Governance of Syria , Egypt and Palestine at that time ) to be independant of Rome and Persia.

but Oden-atha makes you wonder if his God was Odin . ie friend of Odin

If they were soldiers and soldiers were paid in salt, they may have originally been known as salt-atha because they were employed for salt, which is what the part in the OLB is about.

(“use, employ, avail”), (oath)

salt-atha = salt 'friend' = employee paid in salt

If they were soldiers and soldiers were paid in salt, they may have originally been known as salt-atha because they were employed for salt, which is what the part in the OLB is about.

(“use, employ, avail”), (oath)

salt-atha = salt 'friend' = employee paid in salt

The OLB clearly hints at a connection with the word "salt", just by the way the word "salt-atha" is split up.

Now, if the OLB would have been truely ancient as it purports to be, then "friends of salt" or something similar would not only have been the original meaning, but also the then current meaning.

In that case people who risked their lives at sea in a battle would get paid in salt.....

How likely you think that is?

In case you forgot: the sea IS salty. It's like getting paid in sand when you work in the desert, lol.

Edited by Abramelin

In that case people who risked their lives at sea in a battle would get paid in salt.....

In case you forgot: the sea IS salty. It's like getting paid in sand when you work in the desert, lol.

Perhaps quite likely if processed salt was bartered or commonly used as a medium of exchange (money).

Getting paid in gold if you work in a gold mine doesn't sound too far off-kilter either

Perhaps quite likely if processed salt was bartered or commonly used as a medium of exchange (money).

Getting paid in gold if you work in a gold mine doesn't sound too far off-kilter either

My point was that salt could easily be extracted from a bowl of sea water.

What you do is this: collect sea water in a large bowl, and let it stand in the sun (could be done on a ship, but using a deeper vase or something). After a day in the sun, you'll have your salt, and for free, assuming you do it in the Med during summer, when it's bloody hot.

You can collect ore from some mine, but you can wait till hell freezes over if you think gold will magically precipitate.

In short: it is much more easy to get salt from the sea than gold from a mine.

Edited by Abramelin

"It is commonly believed that Roman soldiers were at certain times paid with salt. (They say the soldiers who did their job well were "worth their salt.") The word 'salary' derives from the Latin word salārium, possibly referring to money given to soldiers so they could buy salt. The Roman Republic and Empire controlled the price of salt, increasing it to raise money for wars, or lowering it to be sure that the poorest citizens could easily afford this important part of the diet.

It was also of high value to the Hebrews, Greeks, the Chinese, Hittites and other peoples of antiquity."

etc.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_salt

[/size]

"It is commonly believed that Roman soldiers were at certain times paid with salt. (They say the soldiers who did their job well were "worth their salt.") The word 'salary' derives from the Latin word salārium, possibly referring to money given to soldiers so they could buy salt. The Roman Republic and Empire controlled the price of salt, increasing it to raise money for wars, or lowering it to be sure that the poorest citizens could easily afford this important part of the diet.

It was also of high value to the Hebrews, Greeks, the Chinese, Hittites and other peoples of antiquity."

etc.

source: http://en.wikipedia....History_of_salt

And that is about people living on the land (farmers), not about SAILORS.

And it is also too late for anything OLB.

Well, if we have to believe the OLB isn't a fake MS...... which I think it is.

Not to belabor the point, but humans have likely valued, collected, and traded salt since before the dawn of history.

• Like 1

The thing is, the OLB actually states these salt-atha came from the mountains (in India). They may have become sailors from experience in river sailing or something but don't appear to have been made up of actual sailors of the ocean.

• Like 1

My point was that salt could easily be extracted from a bowl of sea water.

I suggest you try that yourself this summer.

Saltmen of Tibet (trailer):

The thing is, the OLB actually states these salt-atha came from the mountains (in India). They may have become sailors from experience in river sailing or something but don't appear to have been made up of actual sailors of the ocean.

No, the OLB has salt-atha all over the MS, and some came from the mountains, but not from the mountains in India, but from those in Greece and the Middle East (Tyre).

[/size]

I suggest you try that yourself this summer.

Saltmen of Tibet (trailer):

I have done it myself, but not here in the Netherlands.

Seawater is water from a sea or ocean. On average, seawater in the world's oceans has a salinity of about 3.5% (35 g/L, or 599 mM). This means that every kilogram (roughly one litre by volume) of seawater has approximately 35 grams (1.2 oz) of dissolved salts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater

Evaporation may be a slow process, but when you use a wide, shallow metal bowl you can almost watch it happen when the sun is baking on your head. Cooking the sea water will speed up the process.

No, the OLB has salt-atha all over the MS, and some came from the mountains, but not from the mountains in India, but from those in Greece and the Middle East (Tyre).

OK the mountains of their origin but either way the term doesn't have to mean sailors, cause it's translated soldiers.