Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

:tu:

I hope this will end the discussion about the meaning of Od.

s. [media=]

[/media] . Edited by Knul
  • Like 1

Spelling variety in OLB

samen (together), verzamelen (to gather)

Dutch: (te-)samen, (te-)saam

German: zusammen

Danish, Norwegian: sammen

Swedish: tilsammans

Icelandic: saman

French: ensemble

Latin: simul

English: together

ET SÁMA - 2

SÁMA - 22 (2X)

AL SAMEN - 13

TO SAMENE - 25

TO SAMNE/ TO SÁMNE - 1,3

AL SÉMEN - 15

ET SÉMENE - 24

SÉMIN - 23

ET SÉMINE - 11,20

TO SÉMINE - 14,17,18,28

AL SÉMINE - 27

ET SÉMNE - 4,5,6,8,19,21

TO SÉMNE - 7,12,26

AT SÉMNE - 9

Dutch: verzamelen

German: sammeln

Danish: indsamle

Swedish: samla

Norwegian: samle

English: to gather

SAMLATH - 10

SÁMNATH - 16

Just to clarify and/or add.

I think in English this word may stem back to 'seam' rather than together or to gather.

A seam is where 2 parts meet, especially fabric - it then can be a 'gather' but it appears to me the proper closest English word to all those examples would be 'to seam' which is not used in that context (anymore?) but 'seems' to me to be what it actually linguistically relates to.

• Like 1

OD is present in the etymology of Wodin's name, or/and Odin and means ' fury'. Therefore it could be used as hatred in some contexts or just a 'fierce passion'.

fury (n.) dictionary.gif late 14c., "fierce passion," from Old French furie (14c.), from Latin furia "violent passion, rage, madness," related to furere "to rage, be mad."

http://www.etymonlin...x.php?term=fury

Wralda's fury (not really hatred) but his fierce fury (of passion) ie; semen or breath ('exploding' out in wild/fierce ways) or in the context of disassociating that, just a wild fury of creation, thinking in different ways one could interpret this usage.

Gods life force yes, but not some quiet, serene breath, more a fierce, passionate, furious one.

You can all agree or disagree but I am convinced this is the real meaning.

Edited by The Puzzler

Forget Franz Joseph Haydn, here's florence + the machine + charlize theron as ravenna, the wicked queen + snow white and the huntsman giving a version of what a 'breath of life' is all about...

Spelling variety in OLB

samen (together), verzamelen (to gather)

[page/line] in original manuscript

1 [002/17] JOLDON HJA TO SAMNE

2 [004/12] AS ALL OTHERA ETSÁMA

3 [010/18] THÁ HROP HJU.RA ALLE A FLÍLÁND TO SÁMNE

4 [015/14] BY RÉDUM FON ALLE STÁTA ET SÉMNE

5 [023/15] HROPATH ALLE BURCH.HÉRA ET SÉMNE

6 [023/24] THÀT MIDDELTAL FON ALLE BISLUTA ETSÉMNE

7 [025/18] THA MÉNA MÉNTA THÀT IS AL.ET FOLK TO SÉMNE

8 [029/27] SA HWERSA THÉR SWETHNATA ET SÉMNE KYVA

9 [034/27] VMBE SIN KIDDE AT SÉMNE TO HALDANDE

10 [052/29] THÁ WRDON KRAFTA SAMLATH

11 [054/22] AL VSA GÁSTON ET SÉMINE

12 [077/11] AS ALLE OTHERA PRESTUM TO SÉMNE

13 [084/10] ALSAMEN WITH FRYDOM KÀMPA ÀND WOXELJA

14 [096/23] HJRA MOD IS LIK BÉDE TO SÉMINE

15 [097/09] BINT HJU ALSÉMEN AN EN SPINHROK FEST

16 [101/03] BÜRATH ÀND SÁMNATH ÀND GETTHATH

17 [105/03] THISSA WROCHTON ÀND TOCHTON TO SÉMINE

18 [112/15] FON HVNDRED TO SÉMINE

19 [132/29] SÁ KVMATH THA SIBBA ET SÉMNE

20 [135/25] HJA BIRÉDON ET SÉMINE

21 [145/14] WISER ALLE GRÉVA ETSÉMNE

22 [147/18] MITHA SÉLANDAR SÁMA DVAN. MEN THAT SÁMA DVA...

23 [159/14] THÉR IMMER SÉMIN HÉLADON

24 [163/04] ET SÉMENE TO SNORANE

25 [166/06] ALS ALLE FORSTA TO SAMENE

26 [206/08] HÀVON TO SÉMNE ÉNE LEST FORSONNEN

27 [207/05] GVNGON HJA ALSÉMINE RÁWA

28 [207/15] ÉNIS HÉDON HJA TO SÉMINE ÉNE ÉLE FLÁTE WNNEN

Dutch: (te-)samen, (te-)saam

German: zusammen

Danish, Norwegian: sammen

Swedish: tilsammans

Icelandic: saman

French: ensemble

Latin: simul

English: together

ET SÁMA - 2

SÁMA - 22 (2X)

AL SAMEN - 13

TO SAMENE - 25

TO SAMNE/ TO SÁMNE - 1,3

AL SÉMEN - 15

ET SÉMENE - 24

SÉMIN - 23

ET SÉMINE - 11,20

TO SÉMINE - 14,17,18,28

AL SÉMINE - 27

ET SÉMNE - 4,5,6,8,19,21

TO SÉMNE - 7,12,26

AT SÉMNE - 9

Dutch: verzamelen

German: sammeln

Danish: indsamle

Swedish: samla

Norwegian: samle

English: to gather

SAMLATH - 10

SÁMNATH - 16

Another word you could compare it with would be the English word "Similar ,Similarly , the same "..........(004/12) AS ALL OTHERA ETSAMA.....As they are all the same , or as they are all similar .........not far off of Norwegian Samle , or Latin Simul ..... similarly has a fairly close connotation with together , to gather or a collection maybe

• Like 1

How about Texland ? Inna hâga lânda wêron hja thrvch jrtha, inna dêna landa thrvch wêter vrdên. Allêna Fryasburch to Texland waerth vnedêrad fvnden. Men al et laend thet northward lêid hêde, wêre vnder sê. Noch nis=t navt boppa brocht.

Texland as "Aldland/Atland"?

Aldland was far away, not attached to the coast of Europe, and certainly not near Friesland or the Netherlands.

Its original (and only) inhabitants were the Finda (Asians) only, and no one else, so no Fryans (Europeans), and no Lydans (Africans).

The same you find in Haydn's Schoepfung (Creation of the world), called Odem.

The word is OD, not ODEM.

And the word OD was introduced by Reichenbach, based on, yes, Odin's name.

On that wheel it was used as being one letter allright.

But why do you think the English still call the letter double-U?

Because that is what is first was: a double U.

But they, these Fryans, used it as one single letter as we can see from the OLB itself, and supposedly around 600 BCE.

And as you will know, there are more anachronisms in the OLB...

Edited by Abramelin

The OLB is interesting, but I don`nt think it had anything to do with the tale of Atlantis.It seems you all are trying to configurate a mix and match words of a book, a lot that does`nt make sense.

The only ones who think the OLB tale has to do with anything "Atlantis" are those who never read the OLB themselves.

A notorious example is Robert Scrutton with his "The Other Atlantis":

http://www.getcited.org/pub/101832688

OD is present in the etymology of Wodin's name, or/and Odin and means ' fury'. Therefore it could be used as hatred in some contexts or just a 'fierce passion'.

fury (n.) dictionary.gif late 14c., "fierce passion," from Old French furie (14c.), from Latin furia "violent passion, rage, madness," related to furere "to rage, be mad."

Wralda's fury (not really hatred) but his fierce fury (of passion) ie; semen or breath ('exploding' out in wild/fierce ways) or in the context of disassociating that, just a wild fury of creation, thinking in different ways one could interpret this usage.

Gods life force yes, but not some quiet, serene breath, more a fierce, passionate, furious one.

You can all agree or disagree but I am convinced this is the real

As in "woeden".

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/woede

I think one of the reasons why it can be mistaken when automatically linked with the more negative 'woede' als in rage.

Texland as "Aldland/Atland"?

Aldland was far away, not attached to the coast of Europe, and certainly not near Friesland or the Netherlands.

Its original (and only) inhabitants were the Finda (Asians) only, and no one else, so no Fryans (Europeans), and no Lydans (Africans).

you are saying that Aldland cant be anywhere near Europe because they were "far away" but the Mother allowed the Mis-selling of Missellia , as it was so "far away " she was not worried about it........So Aldland could still be in Europe ?

You can all agree or disagree but I am convinced this is the real meaning.

Just thinking out loud ....but Odin as hatred ????? could not have anything to do with the hat red or red hat ... Phrygian cap...........dont suppose Odin was a leader of a band of slaves , that fought for their freedom by any chance ??

Edited by NO-ID-EA

you are saying that Aldland cant be anywhere near Europe because they were "far away" but the Mother allowed the Mis-selling of Missellia , as it was so "far away " she was not worried about it........So Aldland could still be in Europe ?

That was a later episode.

Please read my recent posts.

I don't have the time and the opportunity to spell it out for you.

That was a later episode.

Please read my recent posts.

I don't have the time and the opportunity to spell it out for you.

Please, let us know why the Old-Frisians use the calendar, which refers to a flood which is beyond their knowledge and experience, somewhere outside of Europe in a hostile territory reigned by Finda.

Edited by Knul

Please, let us know why the Old-Frisians use the calendar, which refers to a flood which is beyond their knowledge and experience, somewhere outside of Europe in a hostile territory reigned by Finda.

You should read what the OLB tells us about the homeland of the Finda (Atland), why they (these same Finda) could/dared not enter Fryan territory (even before those "bad times" - hint: they were blocked by the forests and wild beasts in Twiskland), and then read what the OLB tells us about Finda being born near the Himalaya....

And if that all is able to make you conclude that "Aldland/Atland" was Texland, I give up, lol.

++++

EDIT:

Read this, please, and then think about your "Texland" again:

From "before the bad time came", that is before "Aldland/Atland" submerged, the homeland of the Finda:

On the other side [= to the east] we were hedged in by the broad Twiskland [= Germany], through which the Finda people dared not come on account of the thick forests and the wild animals.

==

In early times almost all the Finda lived together in their native land, which was called Aldland, and is now submerged. They were thus far away, and we had no wars. When they were driven hitherwards, and appeared as robbers, then arose the necessity of defending ourselves, and we had armies, kings, and wars.

==

About a Finda people (the Fryans called that tribe the Finns, their priests were called Magiar):

One hundred and one years after the submersion of Aldland a people came out of the East.

==

Punjab, that is five rivers, and by which we travel, is a river of extraordinary beauty, and is called Five Rivers, because four other streams flow into the sea by its mouth. Far away to the eastward is another large river, the Holy or Sacred Ganges. Between these two rivers is the land of the Hindoos. Both rivers run from the high mountains to the plains. The mountains in which their sources lie are so high that they reach the heavens, and therefore these mountains are called Himmellaia. Among the Hindoos and others out of these countries there are people who meet together secretly. They believe that they are pure children of Finda, and that Finda was born in the Himmellaia mountains, whence she went with her children to the lowlands. Some of them believe that she, with her children, floated down upon the foam of the Ganges, and that that is the reason why the river is called the Sacred Ganges.

Edited by Abramelin

Another answer....

Many people in the 19th century believed that the "Old Land", Eden, Paradise, was located somewhere near the Pamir Plateau.

Then, those who created the OLB did not like the Biblical tradition of all of us descending from Noah, or the 12 Tribes, so they invented their own grand and competing history.

Then again, if you have no real beginning for your calendar, the submergence of the country of your enemies would do great as a start.

I remember an ex-collegue of mine from Surinam (we worked in an Eastman-Kodak laboratory) joking about us Dutch always talking about "xx years after the war", as though the end of WWII was a new start of our calendar.

Edited by Abramelin

Exactly!

The ode to Frya ends with the land where she lived sinking and everything being lost, the people fled and resettled and named the land Texland.

Therefore - although in one text it is suggested that (an) "Aldland" had been in the east - it is more likely that the Fryan calendar was named after the " old land" somewhere northly of our current Texel (between England, Holland, Denmark and Norway).

(Sandbach p.19)

Exalted Frya! When she had thus spoken the earth shook like the sea of Wr-alda. The ground of Flyland sank beneath her feet, the air was dimmed by tears, and when they looked for their mother she was already risen to her watching star; then at length thunder burst from the clouds, and the lightning wrote upon the firmament "Watch!"

Far-seeing Frya! The land from which she had risen was now a stream, and except her Tex all that was in it was overwhelmed.

Obedient children! When they came to themselves again, they made this high mound and built this citadel upon it, and on the walls they wrote the Tex, and that every one should be able to find it they called the land about it Texland.

Edited by gestur

I think we make a mistake by searching for an exact place of the big flood, whether in the Pamir region or in the Texland region. The matter is that the biblical flood was not a local or regional flood, but a flood which covered the whole world, in which Noach saved human and animal species. His three sons Sem, Cham and Japhet represent the whole world like the three goddesses Frya, Finda and Lyda governed the whole world before the flood.

Some writers have associated Noah's sons with different skin colors or alleged races. For instance the Jewish text Pirqei R. Eliezer, depicts God as dividing the earth among Noah's sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth,[and attributing different skin colors to them (literally, "blessing" them with different skin colors): light colored skin for the Japhetites, medium dark or brown for the Semites, and very dark or black for the Hamites. (Wikipedia).

The same we find in the OLB in the description of Frya (white), Finda (yellow/brown) and Lyda (black).

We have found earlier, that the OLB calendar is based on the calendar in the Frisian Almanak, which in turn was based on the Christian Bible, which gives 2193 (2194) BC as the date of the flood. So far we have not yet found, who in fact did the calculation or different calculations.

Shem%2C_Ham_and_Japheth.jpg

Edited by Knul

We have found earlier, that the OLB calendar is based on the calendar in the Frisian Almanak, which in turn was based on the Christian Bible, which gives 2193 (2194) BC as the date of the flood.

Did the christian bible actually give that date? I must have missed that.

Either way, the OLB calendar era does not have to be based on the Frisian almanak, as both that almanak and the OLB-dating may be based on an actual (proto-) Frisian tradition.

OD is present in the etymology of Wodin's name, or/and Odin and means ' fury'.

No, that may just be one of the later meanings.

It is also the root of "odevaar", later "ooievaar", the dutch word for stork.

And it is probably the source for "oat".

Check a good Norwegian dictionary (I don't have one here) for od or odd. It still has many different meanings. (Apol can you please confirm?)

Something more general like life-force (i.e. also fertility) makes much more sense, specially in the OLB fragment.

Did the christian bible actually give that date? I must have missed that.

Either way, the OLB calendar era does not have to be based on the Frisian almanak, as both that almanak and the OLB-dating may be based on an actual (proto-) Frisian tradition.

The Bible gives the genealogy and years. s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_tree_of_the_Bible .

Anyway the Frisian Almanak is based on the Bible (Statenbijbel), not on the OLB or any Frisian tradition, not even on oral tradition.

Edited by Knul

And the word OD was introduced by Reichenbach, based on, yes, Odin's name.

He may have believed he introduced it, but it must be much older.

What else do the words Odem and odevaar (ooievaar), otter, the names Odin, Óðr, Ot, Otto (Oldfrisian spelling Odto), etc. come from?

Check a good Norwegian dictionary (I don't have one here) for od or odd. It still has many different meanings. (Apol can you please confirm?)

Something more general like life-force (i.e. also fertility) makes much more sense, specially in the OLB fragment.

ooievaar s. http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/ooievaar . Has nothing to do with od(em). Please, first check existing etymologies before you make your own.

Edited by Knul

But they, these Fryans, used it as one single letter

It is just like our Dutch letter "ij"; some consider it as one letter (like the greek y), others as i+j.

The fury IS the life-force. The 'possessed' part of it all. It doesn't have to mean anything bad, it's just really worked up, the moment a man ejects semen for instance, (fertility) without wanting to sound too crude.

Old High German wut, "fury"; and Gothic wods, "possessed".[7] Old English had the noun wōþ "song, sound", corresponding to Old Norse óðr, which means both "fury" and "poetry, inspiration".[8] It is possible, therefore, that *Wōđanaz was seen as a manifestation of ecstasy, associated with mantic states, with fury, and with poetic inspiration.[9] An explicit association of Wodan with the state of fury was made by 11th century German chronicler Adam of Bremen, who, when detailing the religious practices of Scandinavian pagans, described Wodan, id est furor, "Wodan, that is, the furious".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wodin

Like I said, take it or leave it, I'm going with that interpretation. Gothic wods should be very close to original meaning. This fits the phrase used in the OLB imo when Wraldas od trad binna - his ecstasy, fury entered them.

Songs of Dionysus could be in this category, all furious ecstatic poetry.

We've all been over it before so probably no point carrying it on, seems quite logical to me.

• Like 1