Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman burned after picking up rocks at beach

Still Waters

A 43-year-old woman is undergoing surgery after two rocks that she collected at a South County beach ignited in the pocket of her shorts, officials from Orange County Fire Authority said.

The incident happened about 3:30 p.m. Saturday when the woman was standing in her kitchen after returning from an outing to Trestles Beach. She had been home for about an hour when the pocket of her cargo shorts caught fire, OCFA Capt. Marc Stone said.

http://www.ocregiste...orts-rocks.html

Wow. I hope we hear exactly what the composition of those rocks were.

"two rocks that she collected at a South County beach ignited in the pocket of her shorts"

The dangers of wearing Hot Pants....

Sorry :blush:

Edited to apologise for the quality of this joke.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Rocks Found on Beach Mysteriously Catch Fire in Woman's Pocket

A California mother is recovering from second- and third-degree burns after colored rocks her family collected from a southern California beach unexpectedly caught fire while in her shorts pocket.

"We were talking about who was going to pick up the babysitter," Lyn Hiner said today on "Good Morning America." "And all of a sudden something hot on my leg just sort of started to bother me so I started thinking it was a bug bite, so I started slapping it and the next thing I know my pants were on fire."...........................

Source Link : http://gma.yahoo.com/rocks-found-beach-mysteriously-catch-fire-womans-pocket-080801909--abc-news-topstories.html

Watch the video also......

Kinda odd that she hadnt removed them after being home an hour. Maybe she is a smoked and had a bic lighter in with the rocks and it ruptured. I can't see rocks doing what she described all on thier own.

If it was left there as a trap to harm children, who are usually the ones who gather colored rocks, then I would hope the police are closely investigating it.

• Like 1

"two rocks that she collected at a South County beach ignited in the pocket of her shorts"

YEAH, I can imagine the scene after the smoke cleared and the camera refocused, oooouuu, no pants. woops, sorry maybe I should edit as well.

:yes:

I wonder if she had a lighter in her pocket? :w00t:

She is obviously lying about this.

No apology necessary!

what happened is that she saw some show that i was watching and i can not remember the name of it but it was talkiing about spontaneous human combustion and this one lady had the same damn story. something in her pocket ignited. So maybe this lady saw the same show and decided 'i wanna be a little famous around here cuz im a crack head' and she made it all up...lol....

• 1 year later...

Funny that exactly the same happened three days earlier, to a man walking on a beach in Uruguay, 11000 Km. from California, and there are not nuclear plants anywhere over there.

link (in Spanish) http://www.lr21.com.uy/tecnologia/1112007-piedras-candentes-descubiertas-en-piriapolis-aparecen-ahora-en-california

Perhaps the lady in question read about that, and decided to imitate it !! To many liers for my liking !

Funny that exactly the same happened three days earlier, to a man walking on a beach in Uruguay, 11000 Km. from California, and there are not nuclear plants anywhere over there.

link (in Spanish) http://www.lr21.com....a-en-california

Perhaps the lady in question read about that, and decided to imitate it !! To many liers for my liking !

3 days earlier from when? This thread is from 2012, as your link is in Spanish it sheds no light for me .... and I am a little concerned that a link in Spanish is being provided to an English speaking audience ....

"Liar, liar, pants on fire!" With apologies to the feminists, maybe she was just hot. With apologies to everyone, 'did she get her rocks off?'

3 days earlier from when? This thread is from 2012, as your link is in Spanish it sheds no light for me .... and I am a little concerned that a link in Spanish is being provided to an English speaking audience ....

Obviously they made an error regarding the timing of the news, and I didn't check properly, mea culpa. So, this second episode occurred 1 year later than the one in California.

Here is the translation:

LaRed21

Technology

Listening

Jazz Blues

Reggae Chill Out

Initiation

Last Moment

Community

Policy

Economy

Sports

World

Culture

Health

Science and Technology

Interviews

Videos

Creeper @ s

Sunday June 30, 2013

Listen to the Radio

Sign in

Register

Mystery

"Hot stones" discovered in Piriapolis now appear in California

What seemed at first a mystery without major future prospects gained new momentum when registering similar phenomenon in the United States, where a woman was burned by several stones collected on the beach, it suddenly caught fire causing him burns of second and third degree .

Sunday June 23, 2013 | 21:00

Playa Verde in Piriapolis

In our country the previous week, a fisherman picked up a stone, on the Playa Verde, near Piriapolis, and put it in your pocket without. Shortly after and suddenly the stone burned in a violent and unexpected, burning the clothes and slightly the fisherman. He informed the Piriapolis Maritime Prefecture of the occurrence, afraid that someone else might be in danger. The object had disintegrated completely. Forensic Technical Institute dismissed in the last hours, the stone would have had any radioactive material, but little has moved beyond that in the subject.

Now something very similar happens in California

A woman of 43, who visited San Onofre Beach, in Orange County, California, was with his children collecting stones, which were keeping in their pockets, without further detail. When returning walking home when they were suddenly as all witnesses, flames started coming out of one of the pockets of the woman, who tried without success to take what I had saved. Her husband and children helped, but the lady had already experienced burns of second and third degree for which had to be assisted at a local clinic. Scientists investigating the matter surrounding areas, but so far have failed to respond finished the mystery, as published by the portal LeaNoticias.

• Like 1

So there has been a second incidence of someone picking up burning stones of unknown origin, that is interesting.

Obviously they made an error regarding the timing of the news, and I didn't check properly, mea culpa. So, this second episode occurred 1 year later than the one in California.

Here is the translation:

LaRed21

Technology

Listening

Jazz Blues

Reggae Chill Out

Initiation

Last Moment

Community

Policy

Economy

Sports

World

Culture

Health

Science and Technology

Interviews

Videos

Creeper @ s

Sunday June 30, 2013

Listen to the Radio

Sign in

Register

Mystery

"Hot stones" discovered in Piriapolis now appear in California

What seemed at first a mystery without major future prospects gained new momentum when registering similar phenomenon in the United States, where a woman was burned by several stones collected on the beach, it suddenly caught fire causing him burns of second and third degree .

Sunday June 23, 2013 | 21:00

Playa Verde in Piriapolis

In our country the previous week, a fisherman picked up a stone, on the Playa Verde, near Piriapolis, and put it in your pocket without. Shortly after and suddenly the stone burned in a violent and unexpected, burning the clothes and slightly the fisherman. He informed the Piriapolis Maritime Prefecture of the occurrence, afraid that someone else might be in danger. The object had disintegrated completely. Forensic Technical Institute dismissed in the last hours, the stone would have had any radioactive material, but little has moved beyond that in the subject.

Now something very similar happens in California

A woman of 43, who visited San Onofre Beach, in Orange County, California, was with his children collecting stones, which were keeping in their pockets, without further detail. When returning walking home when they were suddenly as all witnesses, flames started coming out of one of the pockets of the woman, who tried without success to take what I had saved. Her husband and children helped, but the lady had already experienced burns of second and third degree for which had to be assisted at a local clinic. Scientists investigating the matter surrounding areas, but so far have failed to respond finished the mystery, as published by the portal LeaNoticias.

And in the Philipines in 2011:

A stone white phosphorous has left a serious injury to a young

Posted on January 14, 2011 by Armis Download

Share Tweet

A scientific experiment in which paper burns with a piece of white phosphorus over

Christian San Andres, found a stone when he was playing in a lagoon of the village of Bulalacao, Oriental Mindoro Province. Out of curiosity, being a rare stone, put it in your pocket to take home as a souvenir. Suddenly the stone ignited causing a severe burn on the left leg of the young who was then only nine years. At 16, the burn has become a very serious wound.

This stone waxy, which the inhabitants of life is attributed Bulalacao white phosphorus, an artificial substance. Must be in water as soon ignites on contact with oxygen. According to research, the substance used to be used in wars and in chemicals such as fertilizer, poison for mice and matches.

Scientific studies have proven that white phosphorus may cause a burn from second to third grade. In addition, the smoke irritates the eyes and lungs by breathing. Excessive production of smoke can also cause burns.

It is assumed that the stone of Christian white phosphorus was found by the time of World War II and other wars. It is a fact that American soldiers used white phosphorus in the production of bombs.

Currently, the family temporarily resides in San Andres Manila to seek financial support to heal the wound of Christian. The worsening of the injury means that the substance still remaining in the skin of the victim and burned every time there is contact with atmospheric oxygen.

Currently, the family temporarily resides in San Andres Manila to seek financial support to heal the wound of Christian. The worsening of the injury means that the substance still remaining in the skin of the victim and burned every time there is contact with atmospheric oxygen.

Wow, that's just horrible. He clearly needs intense medical intervention to clean the wound and remove all residual traces of the phosphorous from the area, although it begs the question - has it entered his system? And if so, could it manifest elsewhere at some point, such as the lungs?

I hope they get the support they need, I can't believe they have to beg for finances to get medical help for this it doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

I cannot wait to find out what "the rocks" were. Amazing and scarey.

I don' think they will manage to find anything out of the ordinary though.

I did here a similar story, but the guy had put the foil of some chewing gum in the same pocket as a lithium battery from his camera!

• 1 month later...

The same thing happened in Florida right before the " zombie " attack . i am not suggesting the two were connected ...there were some video's going around that also mentioned a barrel of toxic waste of some form washing ashore around the same time. I have NOT researched this so it could be a fraud but I did find a link with a little bit of the news footage. http://youtu.be/rAjvvh0W0Es

I'm eyeing all the rocks I've collected on the beach over the years...