Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
CakeOrDeath

Investigators - Why "Lights out" ?

34 posts in this topic

I just want to clarify my last two replies.

Just because those are my reasons and I think are pretty valid and common sense, does not mean I follow TV shows format or methods. I hope I did not give everyone that impression. We don't follow or mock any of them. Our methods are used with our own reasons.

Many Paranormal Investigators say activity heightens at night because people are more aware at night, they are calmer.

I would say the opposite....

A study on being tired driving resulted in similar reaction times to drunk drivers.

More calm?......More tired, leading to more imagination.....

Just me?

There are many factors involved that I consider and valid reasons why I investigate at night and on weekends.

There are less chances of contamination to your investigations after business hours. Its quiet, less noise at night. The fewer the people involved the better. Its not proper to conduct an investigation during business hours when customers are present. I think its rude and unprofessional. Customers might feel uncomfortable about it. I would think if its a business, they would get worried about losing customers over a team of paranormal investigators investigating for ghosts. Its not exactly a subject that everyone advertises. Most clients request investigations to be confidential and it should be at all times.

Depending on where you are investigating there are other things to take into consideration. If its near a road, during the day there is more traffic noise.

I don't always turn the lights off. You cannot turn all the lights off in some places all the time.

Many Paranormal Investigators say activity heightens at night because people are more aware at night, they are calmer.

I don't MOCK TV shows and copy cat what they do. I do it at night for my own reasons that I explained above.

Doing an investigation at night only makes sense, since there's less contamination, but what I'm saying is why does it have to be in the dark?

Wow, we actually agree on something? lmao!

Honestly, you can turn a location into the night vision effect without turning the lights off. A colleague of mine proved it and did it with some special lighting to make the room look green. :yes:

Read my reply here Nara... it doesn't always have to be in the dark. You can turn a room or location completely green with special lighting. Therefore creating your own night vision.

Going to play devils advocate for the dark for a moment..

I think if a group is doing an investigation that they are getting data from various light and dark conditions.. A complete lights out could be helpful. Sometimes stuff only shows up in total darkness. Like some light bouncing into the house from passing car headlights, that sort of thing.

A good example of this is moving or glowing headstones- The phenomena only happens at night because it's car headlights bouncing off the stone that causes the effect.

It happens in houses too- you don't notice headlight light bouncing in your house when the house lights are on, but you notice it when the house lights are off. Or sometimes you do notice it when your houselights are on, and you get that odd corner of the eye ghost sighting. When all the house lights are off, it becomes apparent pretty quickly if it's an exterior moving light causing the sighting or not.

Going to play devils advocate for the dark for a moment..

I think if a group is doing an investigation that they are getting data from various light and dark conditions.. A complete lights out could be helpful. Sometimes stuff only shows up in total darkness. Like some light bouncing into the house from passing car headlights, that sort of thing.

A good example of this is moving or glowing headstones- The phenomena only happens at night because it's car headlights bouncing off the stone that causes the effect.

It happens in houses too- you don't notice headlight light bouncing in your house when the house lights are on, but you notice it when the house lights are off. Or sometimes you do notice it when your houselights are on, and you get that odd corner of the eye ghost sighting. When all the house lights are off, it becomes apparent pretty quickly if it's an exterior moving light causing the sighting or not.

There's pro's and con's to it. I think each method is going to just vary depending what your goal is. Depends on what you are debunking or trying to prove.

I have done both night & day investigations. It all depends on the vicinity of the location.

In a neighborhood, or an area where there is constant traffic and people. I prefere night investigations. This will cut down on most outside noises. Very rarely, will I keep a home in total darkness, More for our safety & the safety of the client's belongings. Also, investigations that we do for the commercial market, stores, mills, offices, eateries, ect, are normally done at night, This way we do not interfere with the business.

Some of my best photo's with spirits in them are from the daytime shots.

TV shows, have to have good ratings. They will embelish and try to make the show much more scarier. I know, for a friend and I was approached a few years ago, by a producer from a ghost show. After a couple of sit downs, they said, we will be creating other events into the story, to make it more scarier. We turned them down.

I do both day and night recording sessions. Mostly I like to do my work when there is the least amount of ambient noises. Night typically offers less people, traffic, wind, and other misc. sounds that can interfere with evp collection. However whenever conditions are right and I can do daytime work, I jump at it.

Summarily, the "darkness" is simpy for entertainment purposes in hopes to create a spook factor that seems to have worked better than any of these media moguls hoped, as now we have thousands of "paranormal investigators" running around catching things that go bump in the night lol.

That pretty much sums it up for me.