Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog suicides at overtourn

elitenecro

What do you think is happening?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is happening?

• Aliens
    • Ghosts
    • Strange gasses
    • Government experiments
    • Psychic phenomena
    • Other?

Wow, this story is absolutely crazy, dogs actually jumping off a bridge, and not only that but surviving and returning to jump off again.

What do you guys think is the possible explaination for this phenomena?

220px-OvertounBridge.jpg

Studies have shown that since the 1950s or 1960s numerous dogs have

leaped from the bridge at the rate of about one dog a month. Dogs that

leap over the bridge parapet fall 50 feet (15 m) onto the waterfalls

below. Some dogs that survived this drop, and were then taken back to

the bridge, have also jumped again. The only linking factors for this

unexplained event is that dogs mostly jump from the same side of the

bridge, in clear weather, and they are breeds with long snouts.[5]

As the unexplained phenomenon received international media attention, the Scottish SPCA

sent an animal habitat expert to investigate the causes as to why dogs

kill themselves at Overtoun Bridge. Initially Dr David Sands examined

sight, smell and sound factors. After eliminating what a dog could

potentially see and hear on the bridge, he eventually focused on scent

following the discovery of mice and mink in undergrowth on the side of

the bridge from which dogs often leaped. In a test, the odours from

these animals were spread around an open field. Ten dogs were unleashed -

representing the commonest breeds that jumped off the bridge. Of the

dogs tested, only two showed no interest in any of the scents while

nearly all the others made straight for the mink scent. Sands concluded

that, although it was not a definitive answer, the potent odour from

male mink urine was luring keen-nosed dogs to their deaths.[5]

http://www.metapara....turn-bridge#507

I put Other, for mink pee scent!

I did not answer, only because this was a topic a while back and I can not find it......

I am pretty secire in saying someone had posted a good answer....My age is stopping me from remembering, and I do not want to be wrong....I hate being wrong.

edit :

Partial find...

During the making of the program to be screened later this year I supervised various experiments with dogs at Lords House Farm at Rishton (East Lancashire) including ones based on wall-jumping and scent-reacting. The answer to the so-called ‘dog-bridge suicides’ is a secret but it lies in a combination of factors. This story is one that I know fascinates dog owners around the world. I enjoyed my research and investigations. Suffice it to say my final verdict is one of misadventure rather than suicide.........................

http://www.problempe...rtounbridge.asp

Why oh why is the youtube video not showing?............

The video is pretty conclusive....Going over to find a mink, not realising it is a drop.....

Edited by Sakari

IS this real or not? :unsure2::rolleyes:

man this is spooky. i dont think its anything paranormal, theres got to be an explanation.

It's a dog's life at times.. even for dogs.

Read of this years ago and am sure it was found to be sound-related. Was a long time ago though.

Edited by Eldorado

IS this real or not? :unsure2::rolleyes:

man this is spooky. i dont think its anything paranormal, theres got to be an explanation.

It's a dog's life at times.. even for dogs.

Read of this years ago and am sure it was found to be sound-related. Was a long time ago though.

I am either on a lot of peoples ignore lists, or the not reading other replies is becoming a epidemic......

Edited by Sakari

IMO the dogs are jumping at something, not for suicide. There has to be some sort of naturally occurring phenomena that draws them to jump.

Kind of like a sit com I saw years ago where I think George Jefferson threw a ball that bounced out his balcony door and over the railing. The dog he was taking care of was so fixated on the ball that it just ran out and jumped after it.

Of course we all know that George and Wheezy lived in a "deluxe apartment in the sky-yyyy!"

And as the Native American said when the dog jumped off the cliff: "Dog-gone"

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that a dog, seeing the peril that awaits would willingly jump off the bridge because of a Mink scent. Then again, dogs can get pretty worked up.

Edited by jbondo

IMO the dogs are jumping at something, not for suicide. There has to be some sort of naturally occurring phenomena that draws them to jump.

Kind of like a sit com I saw years ago where I think George Jefferson threw a ball that bounced out his balcony door and over the railing. The dog he was taking care of was so fixated on the ball that it just ran out and jumped after it.

Of course we all know that George and Wheezy lived in a "deluxe apartment in the sky-yyyy!"

And as the Native American said when the dog jumped off the cliff: "Dog-gone"

Please look at reply above yours, and than back about 3-4 replies.....Watch the video, and read the link information.

Dang youtube videos not showing anymore......It is answered.

I am either on a lot of peoples ignore lists...........

You are now.

:lol:

(jokin)

You are now.

:lol:

(jokin)

:clap::nw::tu:

Please look at reply above yours, and than back about 3-4 replies.....Watch the video, and read the link information.

Dang youtube videos not showing anymore......It is answered.

Interesting. The dog at 0:55 shows hair placement of an adolescent dogmanrax. This could be a prime explanation of why so little dogmen live long enough to be captured and studied. Thank you.

Interesting. The dog at 0:55 shows hair placement of an adolescent dogmanrax. This could be a prime explanation of why so little dogmen live long enough to be captured and studied. Thank you.

I so wish I could like this reply !!!!!!

:nw:

Mink urine....... I'm not even going to comment on the poll options.

This has been on UK TV a few times and all came to the Mink urine conclusion.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..................

I'm not sure how it explains why the dogs that survive jump again.

I'm not sure how it explains why the dogs that survive jump again.

Don't get me wrong. Dogs can be really intelligent. But when it comes to that "OMG WTF IS THAT?! I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!" they lose their intelligence. lol I can easily see a dog doign somehting like that twice.

Don't get me wrong. Dogs can be really intelligent. But when it comes to that "OMG WTF IS THAT?! I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!" they lose their intelligence. lol I can easily see a dog doign somehting like that twice.

Just like humans. :)

A few times I've seen my mates dog run straight into the pool when chasing a ball or messing around. It's like it forgets you cant walk on water. Just like what Coffey said, dogs become so focused on one thing they lose focus on everything else.

A few times I've seen my mates dog run straight into the pool when chasing a ball or messing around. It's like it forgets you cant walk on water. Just like what Coffey said, dogs become so focused on one thing they lose focus on everything else.

Haha, yeah exactly that's a good example of what I was talking about.

Just like humans. :)

Haha so true. :tu:

Most animals are smart enough to not do things that caused them near fatal injuries. I could understand how that could happen the first time, but nothing will attempt to do the same thing that got them near dead.

The dogs that jumped off twice had multiple broken bones.

Even babies learn, my 8 month old cousin crawled head first into the corner of a coffee table, she doesn't go anywhere near it anymore. I am pretty sure dogs are older than 8 month old babies.

Erm, meant smarter, not older. Lol

Most animals are smart enough to not do things that caused them near fatal injuries. I could understand how that could happen the first time, but nothing will attempt to do the same thing that got them near dead.

The dogs that jumped off twice had multiple broken bones.

Even babies learn, my 8 month old cousin crawled head first into the corner of a coffee table, she doesn't go anywhere near it anymore. I am pretty sure dogs are older than 8 month old babies.

Erm, meant smarter, not older. Lol

You do not have much experience hunting do you?.......Or fishing?

Sorry, I love dogs, more than people, but when they get very excited about something, they do not think to much about the consequences......I could give you numerous hunting stories ( and how animals do not learn from their mistakes ), but I will stick to 2 dogs , one I had, and one a friend had.........Both had been hit by cars on Probasco way in Sparks,Nevada......Twice!

Mine 3 months apart, his about a year apart.....They would get out and try to get to a house that had dogs in heat.

Seagulls........Do you know how many times you can hook a seagull when fishing for salmon, release it, and the stupid thing does it again?

Deer: " duh, what are those bright shiny things heading straight at me, let me stand here and see "

Edited by Sakari

You do not have much experience hunting do you?.......Or fishing?

Sorry, I love dogs, more than people, but when they get very excited about something, they do not think to much about the consequences......I could give you numerous hunting stories ( and how animals do not learn from their mistakes ), but I will stick to 2 dogs , one I had, and one a friend had.........Both had been hit by cars on Probasco way in Sparks,Nevada......Twice!

Mine 3 months apart, his about a year apart.....They would get out and try to get to a house that had dogs in heat.

Seagulls........Do you know how many times you can hook a seagull when fishing for salmon, release it, and the stupid thing does it again?

Deer: " duh, what are those bright shiny things heading straight at me, let me stand here and see "

Not too great of examples, but babies show fear of falling off high places, such as a table or stairs.

All of those mentioned involved unnatural reasons. Cars and fish hooks.

The dogs made an effort to get onto the railing and jump off.

Also the dogs jump off various places on the bridge, just read that his guy threw his son off the bridge because he was the antichrist, not sure on it's validity, but it is interesting O.O

Not too great of examples, but babies show fear of falling off high places, such as a table or stairs.

All of those mentioned involved unnatural reasons. Cars and fish hooks.

The dogs made an effort to get onto the railing and jump off.

Also the dogs jump off various places on the bridge, just read that his guy threw his son off the bridge because he was the antichrist, not sure on it's validity, but it is interesting O.O

You know you are right.....The simple, explainable, and real facts are just soooooo boring.

It has to be something paranormal, it has to.

You know you are right.....The simple, explainable, and real facts are just soooooo boring.

It has to be something paranormal, it has to.

Exactly what I was thinking. lol

Meh.. dogs are thrill-seekers and idiots... same as us. lol